GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I'd like to give a big thanks to Fred and to Rocky - fred's dvd's have enabled me to take on many do it yourself projects. Rocky has given me the insight and parts to mod my 2008 front end.
The project started over a year ago buying parts for my 2008 - I purchased the Progressive monotubes, a Rocky lower tree, a new 2012 trike take off rear spring and preload assy, and All Balls. I also did Fred;s mod to the preload assy when I had it apart, serviced it according to the video. Taking the bike apart is always the easy part - the assembling gets challenging.
This winter I finally tore the bike apart and started the mods. Many of the problems I encountered were self induced. This was not the typical 8 hr project you always read about = I spent weeks doing it and finished the rear spring last weekend. I had to deal with an unheated garage and the needs of the family over a very long winter. On mon it was 70 degrees in NJ, so I had the opportunity to get a good ride in and see how the bike handles. I'm amazed - it feels like a completely different bike - better than when I bought it new. I rode for about 300 miles up along the Delaware River, didn't want to go home. The bike just feels so much attached to the rode now, if that makes any sense. I'm so glad I made these changes. Actually thought about selling the bike last fall - no way now.
I even had to deal with a prank phone call from Rocky while I was having problems assembling the monotubes - but his advice is worth the pranking I got. Some day I will return the favor when he least expects it, I'm giving you heads up Rocky.
Today, snow on the ground again.

To these 2 great guys (Fred and Rocky) and many others on this site - thanks again for all your help.

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup: FORUM IS GREAT - PEOPLE N INFO. I DID RACETECH - YOU DONT REALIZE UNTILL YOU DO HOW MUCH BETTER BIKE HANDLES . WHEN FIRST DID WOULD OVER STEER GOING INTO CORNER . MILES = SMILES

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I pretty much did the same exact thing you did last year..and yes rocky was a great help and I always enjoyed talking to him...it definately helped my bike also...but I ended up putting a traxxion rear shock in, that also made a difference over stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
792 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by ohiowinger View Post

Rocky has helped me over the phone, he really knows his stuff! It's a shame he got banned!

Why can't he get unbanned?

yeah the best,nicest,and all around great guys get banned 1,2,3,4,.........times,lol

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Rocky has helped more than a few people on this board, but after being banned several times I guess the mods just decided enough was enough, and it was a 'banned for life'. I'm sure Rocky is crying in a corner over being banned.:joke:

To the OP, I don't know why your changes took so long.:joke: I was at Rocky's house and watched and learned a lot as he did the same work to my bike, minus the rear shock(because I have a 2012), and I was riding down the road for a late lunch. I never would have thought of digging that far into my bike without having Rocky and/or Fred on speed dial.

This was by far the best change I've ever made to my bike, and it truly does feel more planted, low and high speed handling is greatly improved. I was riding a well-known road much faster, and with more confidence on the way home. Others riding behind me said it was the fastest they had seen me ride it, but I didn't even realize I was riding any faster. It's a huge difference over stock, and very reasonably priced, even when you factor in labor costs.

There are other mods you can do, some cheaper, and others much more expensive. I don't know how the more expensive options compare, but I have absolutely ZERO regrets with the changes I've made.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why it took so long-

1. didn't always have the proper tools - the drain screws on the bottom of the shocks kicked my ass. I had to take the parts to my brother;s house and use a torch and air impact.

2. didn't have the proper tools - the bearings for the triple tree had to be pressed on, I didn't trust myself just banging the hell out of them. I went to 5 different Honda dealers and asked for help - they all said they don;t do bench work. Finally found a machine shop that did it and I had to beg him to take $20.

3. didn't have the proper tools - I used a popsicle stick to insert bushings in the fork tubes (had to eat a whole box of them to get the sticks)

4. didn't have the proper tools - never went above 30 degrees when I was in the garage (I'm turning into a wimp). I doubt barefoot Fred could have worked in these conditions. I think the military will issue me an Arctic Warrior ribbon.

The other delays were all self induced.
1. top shelter on and off 3 times because of wiring issues.
2. heated seat mod not hooked up correctly.
3. shock preload does not work with bike in gear - took rear assy out 3 times to troubleshoot. I had to put bike in gear to stop rear tire from spinning when I was removing lower bolt for shock.
4. right saddle bag has to be installed BEFORE seat goes on - can't get to upper bolt when seat is on.

Family issues had to come 1st - sometimes right in the middle of making progress on the bike. Bike will always be there - family won't. I've made alot of sacrifices in my life, when my family asks - I'm there!

Practically wore out Fred;s videos - kept going up to computer and had to watch them over and over again - unfortunately, I didn't always pay attention.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I do hope you saw that my question about taking so long was a joke. You were a braver man than I. You did have some top notch wrenches to assist you.:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts