GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW had their Demo days at my local dealer. Only had the chance to ride 1 bike.

PRO's - Nice screen, smooth engine, good power at the high end, liked the gear indicator.

CON's - Not much low end torque in any mode, terrible seat, cramped leg position, dives into corners faster than I want. I think their R1250RT would be more to my liking

Conclusion - Fun event but it felt good to get back on my 2006 Wing!

I still am amazed how my 13 year old bike w/73,000 stacks up to the newer bikes. Other than the electronics and looks it can hold it's own with my upgrades (Suspension, seat, F4, Baker Wings & Heli bars)

I did ride the BMW 2017 R1200RT and 2017 1200 GS back in 2017. Nice bikes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yep..that all makes sense and looks consistent with my seat of the pants evaluation.

Power on the 1600 is up higher and less down low.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You give away about 20 ft/lb at 2000RPM on the BMW but by 4500 it surpasses the Honda. It takes a bit of a change in riding style to get the most out of the BMW engine, but once you do.......hang on! By comparison, my CVO HD was putting out 123 ft/lb of Tq (cams, exhaust, tune), but rarely saw anything over 4000 RPM. On another note, BMW "softened up" the throttle response on the later model K1600's. I sent my ECU out for a re-flash and it really woke the bike up across the whole RPM range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts