GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I plan to buy a trailer and see America with my supermodel wife, my Gold Wing has the ABS option. Yesterday, I got to try out the anti-lock brakes in the real world.

I was riding home in a light rain at about 35 mph. As I approached an intersection in a residential area, a cute little blonde in a cute little gray car approached from a side street on my right. Her gaze was locked to her right, away from me, and she just wasn't stopping. Another car was already stopped across from her on my left.

Since this cute blond wasn't slowing down or even breaking her gaze, I grabbed that front brake and squeezed! The bike slowed, the front lever pulsed lightly and that 900 pounds of chrome just stopped right there in the middle of the road!

I just stood there in the rain while the young driver finally stopped (halfway through the intersection), said something to her companion, then looked left, at me. Her look of surprise quickly changed to annoyance and she waved me on. When I was SURE she wasn't going to pull out in front of me, I plunked the Wing in gear and eased away.

It sure is nice to know the ABS is there when you need it. :bow:

·
Vendor
22,057 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't get hit. In situations like this, I find a little proactive TOOT from the horn will make inattentive drives turn and look in your direction and start applying the brakes. While it's always better to get your hand on the brake lever first, if you can also get your thumb positioned on the horn it can save you if applied BEFORE something bad starts to unfold. Many times when I'm in traffic, I cover both the brake lever and the horn button for just this reason. The horn has probably saved me as many times as the brake has. But it does no good to honk it AFTER someone has done something dangerous. The trick is to apply it BEFORE it happens, when you see a situation where a driver doesn't see you and is about to pull in your path or make a bad move.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't get hit. In situations like this, I find a little proactive TOOT from the horn will make inattentive drives turn and look in your direction and start applying the brakes. While it's always better to get your hand on the brake lever first, if you can also get your thumb positioned on the horn it can save you if applied BEFORE something bad starts to unfold. Many times when I'm in traffic, I cover both the brake lever and the horn button for just this reason. The horn has probably saved me as many times as the brake has. But it does no good to honk it AFTER someone has done something dangerous. The trick is to apply it BEFORE it happens, when you see a situation where a driver doesn't see you and is about to pull in your path or make a bad move.
I use my horn so little I have a hard time locating it when I do need it .... I always get prepared to stop when approaching an intersection with cars that could pull out in front of me... I'll add the horn button to that practice.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt, and thanks for the good report on the ABS. it has been a big benefit in cars, and appears to be more so in bikes.

Today I was going to lunch on my '04 (no ABS) and at one intersection, a senior (am one too, but she was "senior" to me!):rolleyes: in a big Buick was coming to a stop sign and looking at a mom and kid in a stroller across the way and not stopping! I honked (thanks mother Honda for putting a real horn on these bikes!) and she slammed on the brakes. I had already grabbed a handful and footfull (?) of brakes and was nearly stopped.

She seemed confused, but it was obvious she realized quickly what she had done, was about 1/2 a car into the intersection.

My next bike will have ABS, but I need to wear this one out a bit more first!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Most definitely apply the horn before they get real dangerous. If they get scared by the horn they may do something even worse. Some times it's better to just let them go about there business.

Derned blue eyed does. :cool:

Glad to hear you found the ABS useful.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
and see America with my supermodel wife,

This thread is worthless without pictures.................:roll:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Since I plan to buy a trailer and see America with my supermodel wife, my Gold Wing has the ABS option.
Gee ... I wonder if our wives know each other...? (she's a supermodel too...) ;)

I think we've both scored a few brownies here...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Supermodel wife . . . making eye contact with hot blonds who pull out in front of him . . .and . . . the ABS is working fine . . . by the way:cool:

Reading all the safety stuff . . . I am getting ABS fever.

Thanks for sharing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts