GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tested their alternator out of the bike before installing or reinstalling? If so.
How did you spin it?
Which direction facing the shaft?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would think you could go to any place that sells electric motors and buy a shaft coupler and couple a drill motor to the alternator to spin it. Before my second retirement, I worked for a Air Condition, Heating Wholesaler in San Antonio and we would sell to contractors about 100 motors a month and we also sold different size couplers as well. Now what direction to turn the alternator. That might be easier than you think. Most all turn the same direction. So, to start I would observe the one on your car as a beginning point.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Heck! Is there a way to test your alternator while it's still in your bike?? I'd like to test mine B4 I take the bike for the first time out of the garage this season to be sure it's totally doing the job!
The battery has been on a tender all season, and has not been started since November...
Before, covering her over with a nice warm blanket, I did replace front tire, antifreeze coolant was replaced, wash/wax'd, oil/filter changed over, new air filter, and battery tender plugged in.....The next warmer day I plan on replacing all spark plugs as well........

Ronnie

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's simple, start the bike and put your voltmeter leads on the battery terminals. Bring the rpm up a little and it should show around 14 volts. If it does the alt works. Turn everything on including electric gear for a load.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I "test my alternator" every time the bike is fired up.
This panel voltmeter is wired "direct to the battery terminals".

yes, that means the VM is always showing the battery status, even when the Key is out of the ignition.

Long Term, w/o a Battery Tender, this is disastrous....

But, for me, it is "Icing on the Cake"... as I always plug in the Battery Tender the minute I set the bike up on the Center Stand.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Ok now here's another question for u:
On my battery posts I now have wires connected for : 1)starter, 2)heated jacket, 3)charger, 4) alternator ......How many wire connections can I place on that battery before it overdoses???

Ronnie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts