GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about taking a couple weeks in the spring and explore the Texas Gulf Coast, as we have not been there yet.I'm looking for tips, advice, etc.Is it nice? Is it safe? ...Mexican drug wars...
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
569 Posts
Galveston east to LA the water is usually somewhat muddy due to the outflow of the Mississippi. West of Galveston it begins to clear up, by the time you get to Corpus Christi its beautiful. So much for the water. As to everything else, there is a lot of history along the coast. Pirate lore & good seafood in abundance. I personally would stay away from the Texas Mexico border, but thats just me. Thanks to the economy, there aren't as many illegals coming across, but the drug wars are not a joke.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I personally wouldn't worry about the border. Its kinda like going into any big city, there's places you don't need to be and times you don't need to be there, but mind your own business and you'll be fine. JMHO

·
Registered
328 Posts
Stop at Port Isabel and S. Padre Is. Eat fresh seafood at least once a day. Take a fishing charter in Port Mansfield; (Redfish capitol of the country.) Eat Mexican food but not at chains. You can use vehicles on most of the Texas beaches as they are public property. Fulton/Rockport are artsy. Port O'Conner is a good place to tip a few after the days ride. Go fishing there too. Matagorda is another neat beach town. If you can get offshore to catch Tarpon in Port Isabel or Red Snapper from Freeport. Forget anything east of Surfside and border towns of Mexico.

Take bug repellent and sunscreen. Can be windy in the spring, esp the southern half.

Arriba! Dos cervezas mas, por favor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts