GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, Some suggestions please. We have 4 or 5 days to spend
but not sure of which are the best MC roads or local POI.
We will explore on our own with out any advice but could miss something.
Places to stay and eat also. Thank you, galewing

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hill Country is magnificent, you'll truly enjoy it.

Here's a list of motorcycle roads in the area:
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/tx.html#hc

Also check out the Southern Cruisers' Austin Chapter page - you'll always find people on their forums (there's one for Hill Country even) willing to flood you with a huge list of awesome rides. Yeah, it's that good.

Southern Curisers - Hill Country
http://home.swbell.net/trav_man/scc.html

A friend of mine that lived in San Marcos mapped a couple of roads for me. Sorry for not having them handy, but from what I remember it seemed like the New Braunfels (S) - Austin (N) - Fredericksburg/Johnson City (W) triangle had like 2 days worth of twisty roads, including the (somewhat famous) Devil's Backbone (FM-32):

The Devils Backbone - Part of the Texas HillCountry around Austin
http://www.hillcountrymagazine.com/the- ... ckbone.htm

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good Texas places

Anything out FM 337 is great Leaky to Camp Wood. Motorcycle museum is out that way. Don't forget about Fredricksburg, Lukenbach, Willow City, and Stonehenge II along the way.

All awesome places to see this time of the year.

If you near a bookstore pick up a map book called the Roads of Texas gives you all the back roads.

Good luck
Jore :D

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
What does you bike look like, in case I see you on the road? Where are you basing your local visit?

·
Registered
707 Posts
What Jore said, plus, The Admiral Nimitz museum in Fredericksburg is a humbling experience. Our country is filled with Sailors and Soldiers with True Grit and their legacy must be remembered. The Old German Bakery is great for all three meals and the Leiderhoff(sp) is beyond words. You can also buy Chrome goodies everywhere in Hill Country!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Just remember the "3"s - 335, 336, 337. Look up Leakey on the map, and ride the 3's. Also, there is a hotel in Leakey that only allows motocycles - the D'Rose Inn.

http://www.droseinn.com/

Call and speak with Deb. She is the owner and will treat you well.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
jjsC6 said:
Just remember the "3"s - 335, 336, 337. Look up Leakey on the map, and ride the 3's.
jim barnes said:
I second the 3's and 16 between Kerville and Bandera. You'll like em.
I agree. The 3's are also called "Twisted Sisters" and they have truly earned their name and reputation. GREAT riding!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
The devil's backbone is a short stretch of Texas 32 west of the intersection with Texas 12 south of Wimberly. There are some nice views there, and then taking 12 north into Wimberly is a nice place to visit.

32 continues west of the devil's backbone and crosses Fisher road, itself a nice road, then it goes on to US 281 ust south of Blanco. In Blanco is the Sunset Cafe, a good place to eat.

Out of Blanco to the west is the Albert road which goes to Stonewall. However, soon out of Blanco is the road to Luckenbach, or realy to the Sisterdale road and Luckenbach is about three miles to the north.

Another really great little road leaves beside the Library in Kendalia off 473. This is the old Blanco road and then there is a wye intersection with the old Blanco road angled to the right and Crabapple road angled to the left. Crabapple road comes into the road that goes over to Luckenbach to the west and to Blanco to the east.

Crabapple road is steep, crooked, and narrow. In ofher words, perfect.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Kikker said:
Galewing,
Haven't you been on the Taliment Senic Drive in Southeastern Oklahoma and Southwestern Arkansas?

The Talihina Drive is great also. Looks a lot like your trip. The whole eastern half of Oklahoma is filled with peaceful beauty, But it seems like I'm always planning rides a long way off.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am repeating much of what has been said, but consider my input as another vote.

HWY 16 from Kerrville to Medina
All of 337 from Medina to Camp Wood.
335 (up the Nueces river) is both great driving and scenery
336 (lots of cattle guards but great)
Crab Apple Road (NNW from Kendalia)
Blanco to Kendalia (SW from Blanco)
Edge Falls Road (South out of Kendalia)
Old Fredricksburg to San Antonio Road (South out of Cain City)
FM 1888 from Blanco to Luchenbach
473 is a nice east/west segment to connect some of these other roads.

To plan your trip, I would take all the road segments that all the folks have provided and put them into some mapping software. Then I would start connecting the segments until you get the daily mileage you desire.
500 miles on great roads like these is a long day for me.
You will enjoy the Hill Country.
I think you are hitting the Hill Country during the best time of year.
Early April flower season is a close second.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A few more in Central Texas

A few not mentioned:

FM 1431 from Cedar Park (just NW of Austin) to Marble Falls.

Go to FM 1431 via Lime Creek Road (MAJOR twisties).

Start at RR 620 and FM 2222 near Lake Travis (NW Austin) - FM 2222 turns into Bullick Hollow NW of RR 620. Go Bullick Hollow to 2769 - go left - continue to Lime Creek Rd. - go right. Be VERY careful on Lime Creek Rd. Do NOT go on a weekend - similar to Deals Gap. Great ride though.

Lime Creek will intersect with FM 1431 - go left to Marble Falls.

By the time you reach Marble Falls - you will need a rest!

Eat pie at the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls.

Then Hwy 281 N to Park Road 4 (fantastic) to Hwy 29 Near Lake Buchanan.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
The trouble with threads like this is more people come..... and stay!!

Flat land? Texas has 90 mountains a mile or more high, with Guadalupe Peak in West Texas at 8,751 feet being the tallest.

There are some big things. Texas' largest county is Brewster with 6,208 square miles. Connecticut (5,544 Sq Mi), Delaware (2,489 Sq Mi) and Rhode Island (1,545 Sq Mi) can fit inside this county.

It is 2842 miles around Texas, and Sheila rode most of it in three days.

Some roads to ride. Texas has over 643,000 lane miles of roads. I have been on a large portioin of them at 943,000 miles of riding.

·
Registered
786 Posts
galewing said:
Hello All, Some suggestions please. We have 4 or 5 days to spend
but not sure of which are the best MC roads or local POI.
We will explore on our own with out any advice but could miss something.
Places to stay and eat also. Thank you, galewing
check out Stonehenge II outside of Hunt. & Easter Island statues. Was quite a suprise.

http://www.alfredshepperd.com/stonehenge/untitled.html

Our pics (including bar hopping pics in Bandera... we always walk):

http://misc.thepartyfowl.com/cycletrips ... /index.htm

And the Kangaroo farm on 335
http://misc.thepartyfowl.com/cycletrips ... G_5202.JPG

337 thru Leakey is the BEST! Check out the Frio Canyon Motorcycle store in Leakey.

Be sure you know where the Garven store is (on 41) ...they have GAS!!!
http://misc.thepartyfowl.com/cycletrips ... G_5224.JPG

and it's a cool place to stop. BBQ, leather, jerkey....and GAS
http://www.garvenstore.com/aboutus.html

and put this phone number in your wallett....
1-830-792-4240 Jimmy's Towing Service/Kerrville.

I had a massive blowout @ 65mph outside Medina.....

Jimmy actually located a GoldWing tire at a Harley dealer in Kerrville (about 25 miles away from my blowout). He went and bought the tire, found another shop in Kerrville that would come back in on Sat early evening & open up to mount the tire. He met us there with the tire & his flatbed tow truck with my Wing on it.

Can't say enough.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Tom Finch said:
The trouble with threads like this is more people come..... and stay!!

Flat land? Texas has 90 mountains a mile or more high, with Guadalupe Peak in West Texas at 8,751 feet being the tallest.

Texas' largest county is Brewster with 6,208 square miles. Connecticut (5,544 Sq Mi), Delaware (2,489 Sq Mi) and Rhode Island (1,545 Sq Mi) can fit inside this county.

It is 2842 miles around Texas, Texas has over 643,000 lane miles of roads.
IS THAT ALL ????? Heck...our foothills average 8,751 feet, topping out at over 16,500 feet,,,,as for Rhode Island,,that would fit in our back yards....Have you ever ridden all the way around calif ? It is about 3,000 miles .....and 643,000 lane miles is nothing,,there are that many miles of lanes from Sacramento to San Francisco....( which has the world's longest bridge..it goes from Africa to Fairyland !!!! hehe )......so NEEENER NEEENER !!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.