GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning my first big trip on my Wing I bought back in November. I have taken a few short trips but only a few hours at a time. I have ridden most my life but finally got the bike I always wanted. I just ordered a Escape XL from Americas Best Trailer. It seems from all the reviews the trailer will be perfect.

My wife and I will be going in March alternating between hotels and camping out, staying 2 night everywhere we go except Baton Rouge. The first leg of the trip will be from Houston Texas to Baton Rouge where we will camp out. Then off to Pensecola Beach where we will camp on the beach at the State Park. From there we will head across Florida to Daytona Beach to catch the last weekend of Bike Week :yes1:. If we survive that we plan on heading down to Key West for a couple of days and getting wasted away again in Margaritaville (stopped there on our Honeymoon 18 years ago). From there the wife wants to go to Disney World where we will camp at Fort Wilderness (I hear it's a great place to camp). Then it's off to Panama City Beach for some sun and relaxation on the beach. Hopefully i'll still have enough money left to hit New Orleans and Bourbon Street for a couple of days before heading home and back to work the following day.

If anyone knows of any good stopping/eating places along the way give me a shout. I always like to try new things.

Stay Loose and Just Wing it.....

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Camping? We loved Bahia Honda State Park in the Keys. Gotta book early 'cause it's popular. Ft Wilderness is awesome - one of the best places to camp. A little pricey but worth every penny.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow....sounds like a great trip! St. Augustine is a "great stop" and if your into seafood...."Osteens" is the place....I recommend the shrimp !
As far as the Keys go, if your in Key Colony Beach, great little restaurant/bar right on the water called "Sparkeys" with huge 25 cent wings & shrimp during "happy hour". Take the "conch train" while in Key West & it will take you around the entire Island, showing all the sites!
If you have any further questions about Florida that we can help U with, feel free to send a PM. Have a great trip and BE SAFE !!!!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Loads of good place to eat along the way all the way across. We especially like the Lafayette LA area. There are several places that I could recommend around there. Hey, you could hit them going over and coming back.

PreJeans in Lafayette LA
Fezzo's in Scott LA
The Shed BBQ in Ocean Springs, MS
Dick Russell's in Tillmans Corner, AL
The Boiling Pot in Tillmans Corner, AL
The Lighthouse in Bayou La Batre, AL

There are many others. Hope you have a great time. Planning is half the fun of getting there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts