GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask the "Where to ride once I get there" question. We will have over a week to ride with Santa Maria being our base. Any suggestions for day rides would be welcome.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Make sure you include at least one day for a pilgrimage:

North to San Luis Obispo, then west to Hwy 1 and north to Carmel. If you leave at the crack of dawn, you can have breakfast in Cambria, lunch in Carmel, take time to check out Big Sur, and be home before dark.
Try to do this on a weekday -- especially during summer the traffic on weekends can be less than ideal.

It probably goes without saying but... most of the turnouts & vista points are on the west side: don't give in to the temptation to cross over to stop on the way north. Do it on the way back south. The sun will be on the water then, too.

IMHO, this is the second most beautiful coastline day-ride on the planet. (The most beautiful (IMHO) is the Amalfi Coast, from Sorrento to Salerno. But it's difficult to get there from Santa Maria, unless it's Santa Maria Capua Vetere.)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Also while in Santa Maria don't forget to sample a Tri-Tip dinner. It's kinda like a Brisket that they BBQ. I've been told that it's a special cut of meat that originated in Santa Maria and has spread to other parts of CA. :chef2: Damn good with beans, salad, rice pilaf and garlic bread. Gettin hungry now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Also while in Santa Maria don't forget to sample a Tri-Tip dinner. It's kinda like a Brisket that they BBQ. I've been told that it's a special cut of meat that originated in Santa Maria and has spread to other parts of CA. :chef2: Damn good with beans, salad, rice pilaf and garlic bread. Gettin hungry now.
Take Hwy. 166 west from Santa Maria to Guadalup and go to the Far Western Tavern (http://www.farwesterntavern.com/). Great Tri-tip made Santa Maria-style.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Just wanted to ask the "Where to ride once I get there" question. We will have over a week to ride with Santa Maria being our base. Any suggestions for day rides would be welcome.
Another pretty day-ride is:

South on 101 to 154, over the hill to Santa Barbara, and back to 101 north to Santa Maria. Should allow plenty of time for lunch in Solvang.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Take Hwy. 166 west from Santa Maria to Guadalup and go to the Far Western Tavern (http://www.farwesterntavern.com/). Great Tri-tip made Santa Maria-style.
Thanks for the heads up on the Far Western Tavern. I ride that area quite often (Morro Bay, Pismo & points South/North) and just checked out their menu. Definitely will be eating lunch there in the next few weeks. Also saw that they are building a new restaurant @ 300 Clark St. in Old Orcutt, and will be closing the one in Guadalupe. Will open late Spring 2011.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys! My wife is from Santa Maria but things have changed plus she doesn't have a concept of riding a bike as opposed to a cage. Keep those ideas coming!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Thanks Guys! My wife is from Santa Maria but things have changed plus she doesn't have a concept of riding a bike as opposed to a cage. Keep those ideas coming!
I second the Jalama Beach stop. Tri-tip sure sounds good too. I've heard from people with us when we visited, and others who have been there that say the food at Jalama Beach is excellent. I was told the Wild Salmon burger was the best ever.

Highway 1 is a must! Carmel, Cambria, stop to see the elephant seals outside Cambria, Hearst Castle as well.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Did the HWY 1 ride from SM to Santa Cruz 2 weeks ago on a Sunday. Was great. Road is clear but there are 2 one lane areas on the north end with controlling lights. If you plan to take 101 back don't go to Castroville to pick it up!!!! The north bound traffic on weekends will back up almost to Monterrey (don't ask me how I know LOL). But take 68 south past Laguna Seca and catch the 101 in south Salinas. Or do the return on HWY 1 as well. Fuel up in San Luis Obispo on HWY 1 after you leave the 101. JMHO

Also HWY 33 from Ventura through Ojai then to HWY 166 is a great ride. Did that last Sunday. Very technical ride on 33. Lots of places to stop and eat or drink. Can get very busy, but was wide open last Sun. And was nice and warm (it can be very hot at times), But then you will bypass HWY 154. Be prepared it is a slow windy mountain road. Fuel up before leaving Ojai as fuel is spotty once you get into the mountains. It is also heavily patrolled so watch your speed.

While in Santa Maria get a map to the Wineries. There are some great back roads to take going to them. Foxen Canyon, Palmer road and many others. A quick ride up to Tepesquet canyon and out to HWY 166 is a great ride, about an hour ride from town to back to town.

While here call Jocko's restaraunt and make reservations ( must have reservations, even then you may need to wait), great food!!! Is located in Nipomo, just 20 mins north. Also in Buellton there are some great steak houses right on HWY 246 in town.

A ride up to Pismo to Splash Cafe for some clam chowder in a bread bowl, or to Port San Luis to eat on the warf is aslo nice. Avila beach is on the way to the port, as well as the Apple farm and Avila plunge (hot sulpher springs pool) and Avila hot springs. A ride back over Happy Canyon is always fun. Takes you north back to the 101 but it is all close. HWY 1 north to Morro Bay is a nice little cruise, it's before you get to San Simeon and the rest of 1 to Monterrey.

Maybe you can tell I live here LOL. Plenty of enjoyable riding around here.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
If you plan to take 101 back don't go to Castroville to pick it up!!!! The north bound traffic on weekends will back up almost to Monterrey (don't ask me how I know LOL). But take 68 south past Laguna Seca and catch the 101 in south Salinas. Or do the return on HWY 1 as well. Fuel up in San Luis Obispo on HWY 1 after you leave the 101. JMHO

+1 on the above. Weekends can be a real mess with the traffic, and very slow moving.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again guys I really appreciate the hospitality! I am Jonesing :excited:to get out and ride these roads and the suggested rides. Thanks to all for the ideas.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
You have a week to ride around that area?? I *am* suitably jealous! :thumbup:

The locals have shared some excellent locations, though I am a bit partial to areas a bit south of there.

Stumbled onto Jalama Beach this time last year...wish I had taken that trip on a Saturday or Sunday, rather than a Friday after work...but I do know how to get back there - just 630 miles from where I sit.

Enjoy the trip; trip reports are most welcomed upon your return.

Suggestion: Mulholland Hwy on a Saturday morning...get a picture from the Rock Store Photo guy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got a contour camera and I hope to have some good video. I will see about posting it when I return

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
You have a week to ride around that area?? I *am* suitably jealous! :thumbup:

The locals have shared some excellent locations, though I am a bit partial to areas a bit south of there.

Stumbled onto Jalama Beach this time last year...wish I had taken that trip on a Saturday or Sunday, rather than a Friday after work...but I do know how to get back there - just 630 miles from where I sit.

Enjoy the trip; trip reports are most welcomed upon your return.

Suggestion: Mulholland Hwy on a Saturday morning...get a picture from the Rock Store Photo guy.
The ride on Mulholland is, indeed a good one. However, I'd warn you that riding it on a weekend may not be the best choice. There are a lot of crotch rockets out there on the weekend that behave like they're on the track. Not good! The Rock Store is an iconic location, with bikes lined up on both sides of the road. For out-of-towners, probably a cool place to say you've been. It has little else to recommend it, IMO. BTW, this is my backyard. I can be at the Rock Store in about 20 minutes.

Here's an all-day ride that will take you over some great roads in your area. You'll see I recommend taking the 166 past the 33 and going south on Cerro Noroeste instead, and thn linking up with the 33 father south. It's longer, but Cerro Noroeste follows the ridge instead of the valley and offers some great views and very little traffic.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E+Betteravia+Rd&daddr=Santa+Maria+Mesa+Rd%2FTepusquet+Rd+to:CA-166+E+to:Cerro+Noroeste+Rd+to:Cuddy+Valley+Rd+to:CA-33+S%2FMaricopa+Hwy+to:N+Ventura+Ave+to:CA-150+W%2FCasitas+Pass+Rd+to:US-101+N&hl=en&ll=34.678394,-119.921265&spn=0.587254,1.668549&sll=34.56199,-120.120392&sspn=0.588079,1.668549&geocode=FR7kFAIdkIHS-A%3BFeYIFAIdsCLV-A%3BFf5_FgIdmvvV-A%3BFT9uFQIddnLh-A%3BFUBUEwIdjxzo-A%3BFaA4EQIdfcni-A%3BFbtlDQIdfPfj-A%3BFTrXDAIdzUjh-A%3BFfPdFAIdBZLS-A&vpsrc=6&mra=mr&z=10

The destinations on the map were chosen simply to make it go the way I wanted it to. They do not represent waypoint or points of interest, etc.

I don't think you said when you are going to be in Santa Maria. Depending on when it is, you may be able to stir up some company from among us SoCal board members if you like.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We will be in on Sept 5th for almost two weeks. The map you sent looks like a good ride. Everyone has mentioned that the weekend rides suffer from traffic so riding during the week is what we plan. We had an incident here where 15 crotch rockets ran up on a single Harley rider knocking him down.
:22yikes: Fortunately the Harley rider escaped serious injury but two of the idiot crotch rocketeers died! So anyway I keep a watchful eye open for them, thanks for the heads up. Send me a ph. # and I'll try to give a call, I appreciate the offer.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Timing is everything! We don't get back from Rockies Gold until a day or two before your two weeks are up, so getting together just isn't in the cards. It could have been fun. I always like a chance to meet a fellow board member, and I haven't done that ride in quite a while.

You just enjoy your trip and ride safe!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Another pretty day-ride is:

South on 101 to 154, over the hill to Santa Barbara, and back to 101 north to Santa Maria. Should allow plenty of time for lunch in Solvang.
+1

I haven't been on that road since I graduated from Cal Poly - back in 1983.

It is a very nice route to take. Didn't do it on a scoot, but, there were a couple of times that I did it (heading home at the end of my frosh and soph years) in the next best thing to a bike: my (regretably former) '65 Mustang ragtop!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the trip was good, no mishaps with the trailer. Rode up 101 to Monterrey and then south on the #1 Nice ride except it was more technical than I thought. Was worn out by end of day. Being from Texas and not knowing what to expect I was disappointed that I couldn't see more of the beach or ocean but that is small price for the overall ride. Gas in Big Sur was $5.79:eek:4: luckily we didn't need any! The Hitching Post was excellent food but I was bummed that you can't find a place to eat, drink AND smoke a cigar! Great trip would do it again.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Thanks for the report. Glad you had a good time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts