GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O K
I know you guys in Texas are always bragging about riding all year round. I see Fred H. has a post about ice and not being able to ride for a couple days. I'm considering a trip down the end of Jan. or beginning of Feb. Would be in the Canyon Lake area. What could I expect the weather to be like?

·
Registered
601 Posts
If we are going to get Icy / Snowy weather here, it will usually be through Jan and Feb.
Like Fred said, it is highly unpredictable.

Bring clothing for warm and cold weather...and rain gear..

Ride Safely 8)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
What is icy/snowy weather??? :? :p

drive North for a few hours Teaser, but by the time you get here, it will be gone .. 8)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Yellow Streak said:
[quote="Teaser 1":slh882lv]What is icy/snowy weather??? :? :p

drive North for a few hours Teaser, but by the time you get here, it will be gone .. 8)[/quote:slh882lv]

Yeah I know, I've lived in Kerrville,Tyler, Denton, and Wichita Falls at different times it's a little different up there in the north, north Texas that is. I'm a native Texan, and Texas is more like a small country than a state, lots of variety within it's boundaries. Oh sorry, I gotta go fire up the bike for my ride to work, see ya !! :p Terry

·
Registered
260 Posts
Fred is right, however add about 8 to 10 degrees for the Canyon Lake area. It is almost spring time by the end of January around here. But you never know.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here in San Antonio, I'd put the odds of good riding weather in late January at 75% or so. Canyon Lake is 1/2 hour north so weather should be about the same. Still, I remember early in Feb of 1995 when we had an ice storm that closed the airport for a day and employers were encouraged to close for the day so employees would not drive on the iced streets. San Antonio does not have the infrastructure to deal with an ice storm as a "routine" event. That's not common weather here, but it happens every couple of years once or twice a year. Oh, later that same month of Feb, 1995, San Antonio set a new record high for that date....100 degrees F. First time we ever reached 100 in Feb. Any weather is possible in Texas....

·
Registered
999 Posts
To add just a little science (science, when talking about the weather???) to the discussion. Intellicast lists the following for Canyon Lake on February 1st.

Normal Daily High: 60.3
Normal Daily Low: 37.5
Record High: 78
Record Low: 23

Monthly Average High (Feb): 63
Monthly Average Low (Feb): 40

Like the folks said above: looks pretty good odds from here (but bring longies just in case).

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fred H. said:
Sorry for the unprecise answer to your post, but yesterday at 4pm it was 80 degrees at my house. By 7pm it was 35 degrees.
Fred,
No problem. You're probably about as precise as the "official weather forcasters".
Fred H. said:
Texas weather is highly unpredictable, especially in the winter. You can break out in sweat and have ice all in the same day.
This is somewhat what I was suspecting. I have a timeshare week banked that I need to use by the end of Feb. so was thinking I would try to get in a week of riding in my normal "MN off season". I've read a bunch about the Texas Hill Country I thought I would try to check it out.

Thanks all for your replys to my question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts