GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed through Texas on I-40 tomorrow, 6/14. where is a good place to eat brisket that is not to far off of the interstate?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Not sure about the brisket there.....But, I always stop at the Big Texan
Steak House in Amarillo. Great food and motorcycle friendly.....

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Headed through Texas on I-40 tomorrow, 6/14. where is a good place to eat brisket that is not to far off of the interstate?
Wrong part of the State. You need to head down to I-10, just east of San Antonio you will find the best BBQ in the world in just a few miles north of the interstate. Luling and Lockhart are hard to beat, went to the Luling City Market this last weekend....ribs, sausage and brisket on a sheet of butcher paper and a "Big Red", it doesn't get any better.

BTW, after BBQ I went to the Farmer's market and got a real watermelon, round, dark green, and with seeds.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stop at the Big Red Barn just off of Souncy Rd (west side of Amarillo). Can't miss it. It's this Large Red Barn looking building.

If you don't want to back track then exit off Coulter Rd (Exit 65). Go straight through the interchange on the Access Rd and the Big Red Barn is on the right.

Big Texan is on the East side of Amarillo (Exit 76). Again go through the interchange and stay on the Access Rd. Big Texan on the right.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
19,242 Posts
Amarillo--Stubbs BBQ

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wrong part of the State. You need to head down to I-10, just east of San Antonio you will find the best BBQ in the world in just a few miles north of the interstate. Luling and Lockhart are hard to beat, went to the Luling City Market this last weekend....ribs, sausage and brisket on a sheet of butcher paper and a "Big Red", it doesn't get any better.

BTW, after BBQ I went to the Farmer's market and got a real watermelon, round, dark green, and with seeds.

Best BBQ in the world????? Now I believe Lexington NC will have somethin to say bout that. (Sorry couldnt help myself.) I am sure that the BBQ in Texas is good.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Best BBQ in the world????? Now I believe Lexington NC will have somethin to say bout that. (Sorry couldnt help myself.) I am sure that the BBQ in Texas is good.
I've had NC BBQ and good BBQ does not start with putting sauce on raw meat.

If you don't have a good rub you don't have good BBQ.

And it don't get much better than Luling

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
In Texas we have a saying.......Pork is not barbeque. (Sorry, couldn't help myself either!)

Another vote for the Big Texan.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Rudy's is pretty good BBQ

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Wondered how long it would take, either this board is losing heart or I'm on too many "ignore" lists :).

But listen to the experts:

"In Texas we have a saying.......Pork is not barbeque. (Sorry, couldn't help myself either!)"

"I've had NC BBQ and good BBQ does not start with putting sauce on raw meat.

If you don't have a good rub you don't have good BBQ."

Just saying there are lots of pretenters but few really good places left. BBQ is mostly an art that takes time and knowledge to do right. It will not happen in a chain or anyplace where the workers haven't had years of practice making BBQ. Just a couple things that will tell you before tasting if it will be good or not: the meat being wrapped in foil to hold it before serving is a sure sign short cuts were taken and/or if it is covered in sauce as it is cooked or served then they are using sauce to cover lack of skill or caring. A personal kink, I hate to see BBQ cut with an electric knife. :)

BTW I will ride a 1000 miles or more for good BBQ, eat then turn around and ride home. Have done it before, will do it again.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Just for a little clarity here.

You Grill meat on a Pit.

You smoke meat in a smoker.

BBQ is the art of blending spice, Herb smoke and fire to create a culinary delight

·
Registered
307 Posts
Rotfl..... Yep mention BBQ and watch the Texans..... Had Texas BBQ, I like it. Will be having some next month. After all its beef and Texas is known for it beef. And there is a nice juicy Texas Steak with my name on it. I am not originally from NC but the BBQ port is real good also. Not sure I would pick one over the other. They are different enough to be in thier own catagories.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Glad we could amuse you.....we certainly amuse ourselves! One of the funniest adds I have ever seen on TV is a group of executives (Frost Bank, I think) in San Antonio talking about BBQ.....each contradicting the other, and each with his/her own secret method. Gotta love it. I am originally from Brevard, NC (went to college at Greensboro College). Love BBQ in all it's forms.....but love beef the best.

BTW, Rudy's is very good BBQ.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not sure how good the brisket is but some of the best ribs I ever ate was in Alvin, Texas @ Joe's BBQ in 1998.
I was told Nolan Ryan ate there a lot.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I am no expert on BBQ. I know what I like. I have eaten BBQ beef, pork, chicken, venison all over Texas and many parts of the US. I have had it cooked so many ways, I cant keep up. Dry, wet, wrapped in foil, banana leaves, burlap, buried in the ground.. etc. Some are good, some are great!! and some are not. It is ALL up to an individuals taste buds!! I just keep sampleing!!!!!:thumbup: There is a small place right here in Eastland, Texas Texas has some real good BBQ. Hardins BBQ-in the old texaco station on I-20. jhughes56, tommyboytx and I will be "sampling " there this friday at lunch!!! Ya'll stop in and we can sample together!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
On your way there stop by and I will treat you to some home smoked Georgia Bar-B-Q that will give you second thoughts about visiting Texas...:thumbup:

If interested PM me and let me know your schedule and we will see if we can meet up somewhere.

Happy Trails!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts