GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Check oil level anyway. Oil light comes on when engine dies. Was it on before the engine died? How long? Check ignition switch or kill switch. But I see you said you have Trike. Your side stand switch should be tucked under left hand chrome engine cover. They are supposed to be zip tied through the center hole so they won't move and kill engine. Check to see if it has moved.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Check oil level anyway. Oil light comes on when engine dies. Was it on before the engine died? How long? Check ignition switch or kill switch. But I see you said you have Trike. Your side stand switch should be tucked under left hand chrome engine cover. They are supposed to be zip tied through the center hole so they won't move and kill engine. Check to see if it has moved.
Question since you are in the bidness. What is the advantage/reason to retain the side stand once a bike is triked? Can't the side stand safety switch be bypassed on a GL1800 or is there something unique about it and/or the circuitry? Isn't the side stand no more than unnecessary weight on a trike?

·
Registered
286 Posts
side stand

Ben, Probably the only reason some leave it in place is to act as an additonal security device (?)...when it is down the ignition is disabled when placed in gear. Rather than removal I've also just cut off the bottom half of the stand (below the spring attach pin). Other than that, the side stand must be down for some Honda bike diagnostics but this can still be done even if the side stand is removed because the switch is still accessable. Most remove the side stand (4 bolts), zip tie the switch to prevent accidental rotation and just tuck it in behind the left engine cover. Side stand removal is usually required for running board installs..

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Ben, Probably the only reason some leave it in place is to act as an additonal security device (?)...when it is down the ignition is disabled when placed in gear. Rather than removal I've also just cut off the bottom half of the stand (below the spring attach pin). Other than that, the side stand must be down for some Honda bike diagnostics but this can still be done even if the side stand is removed because the switch is still accessable. Most remove the side stand (4 bolts), zip tie the switch to prevent accidental rotation and just tuck it in behind the left engine cover. Side stand removal is usually required for running board installs..
That all makes sense. Y'all can see that I know little about Hondas! My reference points are mostly BMW. Side and center stands are typically removed from K bikes during trike kit installations.

Thanks guys,
Ben

·
Registered
590 Posts
Stand switch:)

My dealer removed the stand AND rather than using a ZIP tie, he drilled it out a little and put a bolt with a nylon self locking nut on it. He claims it will never move....and possibly leave you stranded....particularly if you are not mechanical in nature OR not aware of what that switch does. Johnny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts