GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sept 2011 edition of Rider mag has a nice review article on Textile apparel. Not real indepth in evaluation but throws around most of the "players"

..Motoport was omitted...guess kevlar is not a textile....saw a kelvar skin hanging out "drying" on a barn fence the other day.:lol:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My guess....Motoport/Cyclport is not one of the "players" that advertises in these mags...thus the omission

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Sept 2011 edition of Rider mag has a nice review article on Textile apparel.

..Motoport was omitted...guess kevlar is not a textile....saw a kelvar skin hanging out "drying" on a barn fence the other day.:lol:
Not including Motoport in a article about protective gear is in my opinion like publishing an article on touring bikes & omitting the Goldwing:wrong:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I doubt it was intended to be all inclusive, there are a lot more clothing brands than what they mentioned. I was disappointed, it still was nothing more than the usual "reviews" of clothing. Style, fit, comfort, material but no real info on how protective the material is. They put bikes through the paces, why not clothing? Put some jackets and pants on a mannequin and drag it behind a pickup truck for a few yards at 30 or 40 mph. See what happens. Find out if polyurethane coating will start to melt. Find out if "ballistic" means anything. Compare the different materials as they are actually put together into a final piece of protective gear, not just a swatch on a testing machine.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I doubt it was intended to be all inclusive, there are a lot more clothing brands than what they mentioned. I was disappointed, it still was nothing more than the usual "reviews" of clothing. Style, fit, comfort, material but no real info on how protective the material is. They put bikes through the paces, why not clothing? Put some jackets and pants on a mannequin and drag it behind a pickup truck for a few yards at 30 or 40 mph. See what happens. Find out if polyurethane coating will start to melt. Find out if "ballistic" means anything. Compare the different materials as they are actually put together into a final piece of protective gear, not just a swatch on a testing machine.
As I prepare for winter and will be buying my first cold-weather jacket I agree. I also wonder just how effective the ballistic fabrics and armor is.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
...no real info on how protective the material is. They put bikes through the paces, why not clothing? Put some jackets and pants on a mannequin and drag it behind a pickup truck for a few yards at 30 or 40 mph. See what happens. Find out if polyurethane coating will start to melt. Find out if "ballistic" means anything. Compare the different materials as they are actually put together into a final piece of protective gear, not just a swatch on a testing machine.
excellent ideas. They need to do a Consumer Reports type of evaluation.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I wear the vented kevlar Motoport gear year round. Sometimes I wear the Motorport jeans instead of the vented kevlar pants, but they are much hotter.

I am actually cooler in the Motoport gear when riding in 108 degree heat than I would be without it.

As the rider is falling towards the ground, it is a little late to wishing the gear was on the body instead of hanging up in a closet.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Switz
How much armor did you buy with you motoport?
Having never seen the stuff let alone tried it on I am at a loss on how far to go with the armor packages.......

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have one jacket with quad armor and one with just the tri -armor. Quad armor diffenitely is thicker and more protective but heavier. Actually have the quad armor one for sale on this forum

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Switz
How much armor did you buy with you motoport?
Having never seen the stuff let alone tried it on I am at a loss on how far to go with the armor packages.......
I have the quad armor in both my jacket & pants. It is bulkier and stiffer than the tri armor but after wearing it a while isn't a problem moving around in it. Once I am on the bike the extra weight isn't noticeable & isn't bothersome walking around in. One thing to keep in mind if you get the kevlar mesh is it is abrasive & will scuff your tank up if you don't put on some protective pads. I personally wanted the best protection available & the extra bulk isn't a problem for me but will get the tri-armor for the wife when the time comes because she doesn't like the extra weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts