GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchase of a new 3/4 length Textile Jacket. Best choices seem to be the FIRST GEAR '09 KILIMANJARO or the TOURMASTER TRANSITION SERIES 2. Tell me which one you like best and why ???
After searching 10 internet sellers, best prices are $253 for the Kilimanjaro and $161 for the Transition, both at New England Motorcycle, www.motoemporium.com Even considering the big difference in $$, what jacket do you prefer?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have the tourmaster transition jacket. It is three years old and has held up fine. I wear it in the cooler months and winter, but too hot to wear down here in the south year around.

The only difference I can see between the two is the First gear has fleece lined hand warmer pockets, how much time do you spend using fleece lined hand warmer pockets on a motorcycle?

I like the collar snap on the tourmaster too, if a bit warm and you open the collar and unzip the jacket about halfway, it is nice to be able to secure the collar and not have it beat you to death.

The exterior shell is the very same material, they are almost the very same jacket.

Both have a winter liner, both are waterproof.

All I can say is I do have the tourmaster and have been very happy with it. I do remember looking at the first gear one when I bought the tourmaster and could not justify the extra money for it. Seemed like the same jacket to me.

Kit

·
Registered
883 Posts
I only have experience with the First Gear Kilimanjaro 4.0, last years version. I'm extreamly happy with it. Wearing LD Comfort underneath it, without the liner, I've ridden in 100+ temps. I use my Gerbings heated jacket liner when temps drop down. I've ridden in several rainstorms, some for long hours, & stayed dry. It has so many compartments & pockets I haven't been able to use them all!

I'm sure either choice you make, you'll be satisfied.

Sleddog

·
Registered
268 Posts
Jacket

I have ridden with the Transition II for about a year now and really like it. I have used it in 108 degree temps all the way down to 22 degrees. Always works well with no complaints. Either one is a good choice.

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 2009 Kilimanjaro just out the box and know nothing about the Transition 2. I like what I have except the sizeing. Getfeetwet.com cautioned about FirstGear's size chart so I got a size smaller than what was indicated by the chest size. The arms are very long for a medium jacket. I didn't get a chance to try it on at a dealer, but should have. All the pockets and construction detail are excellent. The extra pading comes out easily. Main zipper is two way which is very nice. I don't think that the fleece liner is as warm as my old MotorPort Canyon jacket's spun insulation.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Some good points brought up already by others. I would call your vendor of choice or manufacture to find out differences between the two jackets. Just have the questions you may want to ask written down ahead of time so you dont forget when on the phone. You may want to ask questions about sizing, winter/summer wear, types of armor in jackets, etc.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I like both Tourmaster and First Gear apparel. I find I need a XL tall in the Tourmaster where the std. XL in the First Gear fits me well. I'm 6 ft. 3" with a 36 " sleve length. I have the First Gear Jaunt and love it. Also, I have been studying extensively types of material and what works and what may not. There are not any standards in the US but Europe and Austrailia both have testing procedures for motorcycle protective clothing. Turns out in addition to the type of material, it's very important how the seams are sewn. In their testing many seams fail from many of the name brand manufacturers. The Carbolex from First gear is good stuff. Here are some websites to become better informed on materials and such.

http://www.fieldsheer.com/site2009/ff/Material.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety_clothing

http://roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html#firstdecision

http://www.pva-ppe.org.uk/standards.htm#EuropeanStandardsformotorcyclists

Also, it turns out from the studies that the legs are the most commonly injured and the most overlooked for wearing protectiion.

this is probably way more than you wanted to know!!

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
gotta get a helmet first
then something else instead of a leather jacket
but then isnt that was frogg toggs are for over your leather jacket

B

·
0 Posts
I bought the Kilamanjaro last year and took a trip to PA Grand Canyon in October. It was about 20 degrees and I was on my FJR1300 with no heated gear. I did not feel a thing. I did keep the liner in it the whole trip. Tons of pockets, adjustments and great armor.

I ride with a lot of sport touring guys and the first Sunday of the month we get together for breakfast. There are about 16 of us. Nearly all of them wear the Kilamanjaro and that is why I bought it. They just raved about them.

It would be good if you could find a dealer that had both and you could try them on if you have not yet, that does make a difference sometimes in making your final decision.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have two Tourmaster jackets. The Transition II and the Intake Air Mesh jacket. The Transition jacket is great for colder weather (I also have gerbing heat to put on under it if needed). Wore it on an Iron Butt ride yesterday (3/15/09). There are plenty of zippers to open up when it starts warming up but, I find it gets too warm. That's why I bought the Mesh jacket. Plenty of armor and lots of air flow. Needless to say, I vote for the tourmaster.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've had three Kilimanjaros over the years. Can't say they were worn out exactly but the first one was pretty frayed, the second one I still use for dual sport stuff.
The venting is excellent, with a Gerbings jacket liner under them you won't get cold. They are mostly waterproof, the only area I have ever gotten water in through the venting on the inside of the elbows. Water tends to pool in there and eventually make its way in, but it takes a while. will likely but another Kili when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've had both. Sold the Transition 2 and got a Killimanjaro 4. Best cold weather jacket I've owned. It has a thicker outside shell/skin. Is water proof and windproof. The Transistion is thinner skin, better for not so cold weather and you get wet in heavy rain. Also the thinner skin Transistion allows the cold air to get to you.
The Killamanjaro has the thickest/warmest zip out removeable liner that I've seen. It could be used on its own when not riding. The Killamanjaro keeps me warm in temps 30s and 40s w/o heated gear. With temps in the 20s I zip out the liner and use Gerbing jacket liner (sometimes).

Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm on my second Killimanjaro jacket. The First never did wear out just that the red parts were very faded. Have riden in all day rain and never got wet. The jackets have lots of vents. I put the Gerbing in when it gets dow in the teen's and stay nice and warm. Also have the corresponding pants with the zipout liner.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Trader1, thanks for those links. Reliable information on all the various motorcycle fabrics is hard to come by. I've been keeping my ten year old Tourmaster because, first, it is still in great shape, second, it is high denier 100% Cordura which is hard to find anymore.

I wish the motorcycle magazines would do more testing on apparel instead of just how it looks and fits. But I guess testing bikes for 1/4 mile times sells more magazines than some boring tests on abrasion and cycles to failure.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I own 3 different jackets:

Spidi H2Out 3/4 length:
Pros: Very well built, lots of pockets, zip out liner, very good cold weather jacket
Cons: Black, too warm for South Florida, cost

Olympia AST Neon Yellow:
Pros: Great color, zip out liner, lots of pockets, good construction, removable padding for easy washing
Cons: one-piece rain/cold wx liner makes it too hot to wear in the monsoons of South Florida, color seems to attract dirt ;), cost, too cold when temps below 50F

Tourmaster Solution:
Pros: individual liners - rain and cold wx liners mean less sweating, good pockets, good construction, cost, durability, 5+ years old but showing its age, removable padding for easy washing
Cons: too cold for cold weather riding as mesh and quilted liner fail below 50F, logo snags comm cord

On my IBA/LD rides I wear the Olympia for color and the Tourmaster liners for flexibility [if they zipped together then that might solve another problem]. At 45F I have the Gerbings going about 1/3 scale to stay warm. If I lived in more moderate climates I think I could settle on on jacket but when the temps vary from 30-100F+ and 30-100% humidity finding any jacket that will do it all well is going to be difficult.

Since I like to travel light, I'm not sure I want to carry 2 jackets despite having Gerbing gear. I'm sure I don't want to do 1000 miles in a too hot jacket through the humidity of Florida just to get home either.

The experiments continue....

·
Registered
883 Posts
The experiments continue....
Doug,

At last years IBA National meeting in Tulsa, LD Comfort had a vendor booth, as well as First Gear. I needed a new Mesh Jacket & put a deposit on the new model they were releasing in September.

I talked to Mario from LD Comfort & he talked me into, of all things, buying a long sleeve mock turtle neck & tights! (long johns) He told me not to wear mesh, but to use my Kilimanjaro, open the front vents only. I did as he explained & it works. I've ridden in triple digit temps & been very comfortable. In traffic or stop & go it's adifferent story. If you want the technical explanition of why it works call him. All I can say is i tried it & cancelled the order for the Mesh jacket.

My KJ & Gerbing jacket is all I carry anymore!

Sleddog

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I am considering purchase of a new 3/4 length Textile Jacket. Best choices seem to be the FIRST GEAR '09 KILIMANJARO or the TOURMASTER TRANSITION SERIES 2. Tell me which one you like best and why ???
After searching 10 internet sellers, best prices are $253 for the Kilimanjaro and $161 for the Transition, both at New England Motorcycle, www.motoemporium.com Even considering the big difference in $$, what jacket do you prefer?
They are both excellent products. Personal preference [appearance] and price sensitivity are important differences. You can find more opinions than you ever wanted to read by posing the same question on one of the BMW forums and might have some luck on the ST11/13 forum as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts