GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about all the posts about wearing a textile jacket in hot weather, I decided to get one. Found a great deal on a new Tourmaster Transition 5. Decided to give it a trial by fire on Saturday. I had been wearing a mesh jacket for about 13 years. I knew it was going to be around 100 Saturday afternoon and I had misgivings about wearing a jacket in this heat with very limited ventilation.

A group of 6 riders (4 of us - me, dosxxs, MisterK and Steve - from DFW area and 2 – GlockJock and Bob - from Southeast Tx) were headed to Jefferson, TX for some BBQ. About 80 when we left Buc-ee’s that morning. Had a couple of the vents on my upper arms open and three exhaust vents on the back open. Could feel the air coming in and going out the back. Almost got chili. Stayed comfy all the way to Jefferson, about 3 hours, and was in upper 90s when we arrived. Our leader decided he liked traffic lights so we hit most of them. It did get warm in the jacket when not moving, but cooled quickly when back on open road.

Return trip was about the same, but we stopped a little more often to cool off and I did pour a little water down the back of my jacket to cool my neck. I also had on LD Comfort long sleeve shirt under the jacket. Temps stayed around 100 all afternoon and as long as we were moving, I was more comfy in the textile jacket than in my mesh jacket.

Still probably need to do a little tweaking on the vents, but overall, I was pleasantly surprised on how cool I stayed.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Textile

Just a note: If the humidity is high that will not work nearly as well. I use a Glacier Tek under my textile jacket when the humidity is high.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a note: If the humidity is high that will not work nearly as well. I use a Glacier Tek under my textile jacket when the humidity is high.
The humidity here was unusually low on Saturday.

·
Administrator
3,715 Posts
David, I was glad to see you giving textile a try. I've become an advocate, and a vocal supporter of textile as a 4-season jacket. I wear my Motoport stretch Kevlar jacket and pants ATGATT.

In 100º F weather riders sometimes ask me "How can you stand wearing all that gear? Aren't you hot?" My answer is that while I am hotter than a guy in an air-conditioned car, I am not nearly as hot as the guys in mesh jackets, or especially the guys in t-shirts!

As you know, the base layer is extremely important. I make it a point to not wear ANY cotton. I wear wicking underwear and wicking shirts.

On the ide home from Jefferson after meeting you guys the temperature was at or near 100º for most of the 155 miles. I was comfortable all the way. I wish you good luck and cool riding!

Glen

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I proved the premise of being cooler in solid textile to myself when temps exceed 93 degrees F several years ago when I crossed the USA in 46 hours 30 minutes during the last week of July. It was 100 degrees or more for 17 or 1800 of the 2366 miles. Gas stops on my ST1300 were on average 3 hours apart and at each stop I'd buy an 8 lb bag of ice, pour off about 3 or 4 lbs and stuff the bag of remaining ice in the front of the 1 pc Aerostich RC and zip it closed. The ice lasted until the next gas stop and I'd buy another and repeat. The melt water kept my wicking layer cool and wet. I swear it was like I was like the guy in the air conditioned car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts