GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a short ride today as the weather was great here in Upstate NY. At about 12:50 pm just coming into the outskirts of a small city, my wife grabs me and yelled something. I look to the left and here comes a doe running for all she is worth. I grabbed both front and rear brakes and was bracing for impact. She managed to get almost past me. The front wheel just clipped her rear leg enough to spin the deer a little. No harm no foul. I pulled up to the next red light and a guy pulls up next to me and asked if I was alright. I think he was a little shaken by his actions. I just blew it off as a near miss.
I will say the brakes saved my butt this time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Glad you are ok, and that you played it right. This is what ABS is for, grab it all as hard as you can.

I was behind a bike a couple of years ago, didn't know them. Deer came out on them, he shut it down and was probably only going 15 or 20 when the deer ran into the side of them. Pinned his wife's leg between the bike and the deer and broke it. Dude didn't wreck, was most impressive.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two years ago at the Americade I was behind a HD when a deer ran out. He had no where to go and I was sure he was going down. But the deer's head hit his crash bar and spun circles back into the bushes. I am sure it killed the deer, but he kept it up and continued on.

·
Vendor
17,833 Posts
Took a short ride today as the weather was great here in Upstate NY. At about 12:50 pm just coming into the outskirts of a small city, my wife grabs me and yelled something. I look to the left and here comes a doe running for all she is worth. I grabbed both front and rear brakes and was bracing for impact.
That's a good co-rider you got there. Plus it sounds like she gave you correct ques' for you to know something was wrong. 4-eyes coupled with ABS is awesome.

·
Registered
471 Posts
ABS probably saved me and wife this summer. Going downhill on a two lane about 90 km/hr. Gravel truck goes by in opposite lane and big Momma deer jumps out in front to cross, grabbed the brakes hard as she flew by me but her younger one comes right behind and hits the fairing on my bike. Managed to keep the bike up and stopped to assess the damage. Guy behind me said he thought we were goners.Plastic damage but was able to ride her home safely. Happened in July during the daytime when deer aren't so plentiful so watch out. Still haven't got the bike back from repair shop.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Glad that event was only a nerve shaker.

My first GL1800 and first ABS bike saved me from something that could have been very ugly years ago. Late at night heading home on a 35mph road and this drunk teenager decided to cross the street right on top of me. I left black dashes on the road from ABS doing its thing and just missed her because I got to a full stop with her less than a foot away from my front tire. I told her "did you ever think about looking!?" Her reply was a very slurred "I did." Yeah, sure you looked, just not to either left or right and had no clue why the dark road started being lit up.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I live in Upstate NY and my wife and I got caught at Deer o'clock' due to a long wait for dinner at a great little café in Hector, NY. Anyway we were in a long right hand curve on Rt. 96A in Willard, NY and a small doe came out of the 'dark zone' formed by the lean angle of the bike and the hi-beam terminator line. I had less than 0.5sec to react and I aimed for the least center of mass on the deer which is where the torso meets the hind quarter, and that's where I hit it. I never had a chance to hit the brakes and actually accelerated when I realized I was going to hit it, this was purely instinctive and, my wife felt a small bump as the bike ran over the deer killing it and never losing control of the motorcycle. We've all heard the saying 'I'd rather be lucky than good' and here's a great example of that. First it was a small doe and not a 300lb Seneca County buck. Second we were on a 2018 Honda gold wing and I believe the from suspension is what allowed me to maintain control of the bike. If the bike had conventional forks one fork would have been in compression while the other was rebounding and creating a very unstable situation, as it was the bike absorbed the hit and we ran right over the deer hitting it exactly where I aimed, the only damage to the bike was a cracked front fender which I replaced for $318.00. The other thing that helped is I'm a pretty seasoned rider that grew up on dirt bikes and has some track time under my belt with about 250,000 road miles over 40 years of riding, this is my 2% contribution to coming out of this relatively unscathed, and 98% luck and that we were on a 2018 Goldwing. My friend and his wife were behind us on their H-D and saw the it happen and he and I agree the front suspension was instrumental in me being able to maintain control.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You do have to see them to be able to react. I never saw the one that put me down. Neither did the 3 bikes behind me. The fourth bike back said he got a glimpse of it before I hit it. Glad you are ok!!

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
You do have to see them to be able to react. I never saw the one that put me down. Neither did the 3 bikes behind me. The fourth bike back said he got a glimpse of it before I hit it. Glad you are ok!!
Exactly, I've had a few scenarios such as the OPs. In every case I was able to slow or adjust speed to avoid an accident. I can not attribute it to ABS because I've never had it. I'm curious if he know for sure if he actually activated it, or is he assuming he did because he have it on the bike.

In every incident I know of personally where there was an actual deer encounter with the motorcycle, the rider has stated that they never even saw the deer, one actually was hit in the side. Living in the #1 state for deer collisions, I considered myself very fortunate to have not have ever had a collision with one. I keep a vigilant eye out for them, but is still surprised at how close some have been before I saw them. We have actually had them run out between bikes in our riding group and the riders that had already passed say they never saw any deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
I caught a glimpse of a turkey recently. Passenger got a really good look at it as it crashed into her right leg. Deer, turkey, and bear are all quick.

prs

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly, I've had a few scenarios such as the OPs. In every case I was able to slow or adjust speed to avoid an accident. I can not attribute it to ABS because I've never had it. I'm curious if he know for sure if he actually activated it, or is he assuming he did because he have it on the bike.

In every incident I know of personally where there was an actual deer encounter with the motorcycle, the rider has stated that they never even saw the deer, one actually was hit in the side. Living in the #1 state for deer collisions, I considered myself very fortunate to have not have ever had a collision with one. I keep a vigilant eye out for them, but is still surprised at how close some have been before I saw them. We have actually had them run out between bikes in our riding group and the riders that had already passed say they never saw any deer.

All I can say is I did not lock up the brakes. On my 02 I know the rear brake would have slide with amount of pressure I used.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Funny how we each think our state is the #1. I’d swear by it up here. Had a lady taken off of her bike by a deer from the side, years ago, the bike continued on without her for a surprising number of yards. She was on a charity ride with others. She didn’t make it.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Funny how we each think our state is the #1. I’d swear by it up here. Had a lady taken off of her bike by a deer from the side, years ago, the bike continued on without her for a surprising number of yards. She was on a charity ride with others. She didn’t make it.
I just go by reports like these, I have no way to verify them. It just seems to always be at the top in odds of hitting one.

https://moneywise.com/a/worst-states-for-deer-crashes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts