GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you Fred for your DVDs!!

I decided I was going to try doing tires.
Starting with the one that needs it most.. (front ).

After breaking bead with the combination 5' pry bar and 14" 2x4, using the front of my truck as leverage...... easy job.

After getting the first bead point, tapping the tire around the rim popped off the remaining bead..... both sides.

Used 2 small and 1 large tire iron, some wood wedge blocks and spray wax ( for slippery stuff ) to remove tire on the tailgate of the pickup.

Found the heavy spot on the rim with the balancer.
Used concentrate dish detergent for slippery stuff.
Put the new tire on right on the living room floor with better half watching.

Hearing those 2 POPS applying air was the ** YEH BABY** part :)

Now, I can't believe that I don't need any balance weight at all ( what the balancer says ) so I'm taking the wheel to the dealer for them to check balance on their spinner.

Tons of gratification knowing I can do this.
Thanks FRED!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
What's the correct way to apply weight after finding the lightest point? Do I stick the weight on 2 sides of the spoke or just 1 side?

Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fred H. said:
Thanks for the feedback.

I am working on designing a new tool that should make tire changes easier, if it works...
oh ya.....
I'll be waitin for that one :)

Took the wheel fully assembled to the dealer today and asked them to check the balance cuz it looked just fine to me needing no weight at all.
They put it on their Hofmann Computer Wheel Balancer and I found myself giving a rebel yell again, when they said it was right on.

This be fun :wink:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
resque2 said:
What's the correct way to apply weight after finding the lightest point? Do I stick the weight on 2 sides of the spoke or just 1 side?

Thanks
Hi resque2,
Fred describes this really well in his DVDs.
Well worth the investment if you feel like I do.
Your local bike mechanic will take hours doding over his personal bike. Time that he just doesn't have the luxury for with yours.
He has a shop manager to please.
When its your bike, its in and out.

What kind of balancer are you using?
If the static (vertical) type like you see in my pic, then check out the no-mar web site. They use an identical system and have an online video that describes the balance steps. Fred's DVDs describe in detail the full process also, with all of those insider tips.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/V2/Balancer.html

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks. I have the Marcparnes http://www.marcparnes.com/ balancer that suppose to sit on a pair of jack stand. Bought it last year, but haven't have a chance to use it yet. I will change tires this weekend if the weather cooperate.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Congratulations on your first tire change. Those 1800 tires are definately a challenge. I'll look forward to Fred tire changing tool.

Based upon Fred's original design of using 1/2" water pipe and couplers, I turned a bevelled shoulder on a pair of 3/4" coupler nuts and using a piece of 3/4" allthread rod, I believe it's far superior to the 3 piece false axle of the original design.

·
Registered
21,053 Posts
TkBowman said:
Congratulations on your first tire change. Those 1800 tires are definately a challenge. I'll look forward to Fred tire changing tool.

Based upon Fred's original design of using 1/2" water pipe and couplers, I turned a bevelled shoulder on a pair of 3/4" coupler nuts and using a piece of 3/4" allthread rod, I believe it's far superior to the 3 piece false axle of the original design.
TK
i would like to see a picture of your homemade balancer if possible

been using the Marc Parnes myself and it works fine but always interested in improving

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TkBowman said:
I turned a bevelled shoulder on a pair of 3/4" coupler nuts and using a piece of 3/4" allthread rod, I believe it's far superior to the 3 piece false axle of the original design.
A man with a lathe........

UG I'm JEALOUS!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts