GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home from a service call today on country 2 lane. approaching a curve and some idiot decides to pass a truck, my only option is to go right, tried to stay on shoulder but drifted off into the grass. was able to get the bike on a straight line instead of trying to turn back toward the road. Just kept it upright and started braking to slow down from the 50+ I was doing. I sure the ABS came into play in helping me get the bike stopped without going down.

Had to turn it off, get off and sit down after this. Had one car stop and make sure I was alright.

One story my wife will never hear.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Excellent!!! Glad everything worked out for you. ABS is a life saver!!!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Good job! Following it in instead of jerking it back as well as the help from the ABS probably saved your bacon! Glad you're ok. :congrats:

I'm tellin'!

·
Registered
149 Posts
The ABS is great. It sure saved our bacon in Alaska last June. Some fool pulled out of a parking lot across three lanes so she could get the left hand turn lane while it was still green. As Max Smart used to say, "Missed her by that much."

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Glad it turned out the way it did!!!!!!!!

It certainly had the makings of an ugly day and :wrong:!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
I need a new bike.

What's your wife's name and what's her phone number? :lol:

Glad you're OK. :thumbup:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Glad you're OK. ABS saved our bacon back in 2002. Traffic light turned red as we approached . . . and then I saw the sand all across the highway. :22yikes: My wife still doesn't know about this and never will. Smooth and safe stop. Thanks Honda! :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
ABS takes some of the pucker factor out of those squirrely moments and gives you back control in avoiding hurt. Thankfully, we have fewer and fewer people rationalizing not having ABS by saying they can stop faster without it. With the coming of fall and wet/damp leaves, ABS can be a Godsend.

·
Registered
445 Posts
A few weeks back the wife and I were on the Blue Ridge Parkway going north. We were coming around a left hand curve with the bike over hard to make the corner. About halfway around the corner encountered a Harley going south in the center of the northbound lane. I grabbed the brakes as hard as I could and the front tire slid a little, bars did a little shake. We were able to get the fat girl slowed up enough to avoid a head on and give the Harley enough time to get back into his lane barley missing. Thnks for the ABS and the fact the Harley was riding very slow. Our side of the road was a long way down.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've had deer jump out a few times and locked up the wheels, no ABS.

When I recently traded, ABS was an important item on the list. Haven't needed it yet that I know of (I've done a few hard test stops and the FJR sure stops quick!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad your ok

Thats good skills application on the bike way to go....However it blows the theory of yellow been seen better than any other colour, unless the other driver was drunk:joke:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I thought when I read the title you were bragging about your physical conditioning!

Glad you made it, that had to be scary. I dont have ABS but wish that I did.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought when I read the title you were bragging about your physical conditioning!

Glad you made it, that had to be scary. I dont have ABS but wish that I did.

Physical condition??? there are abs in there somewhere, just well hidden, I mean protected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts