GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’m on the first trip with the new Wing in the Smoky Mountains this week. I pull up to the cabin last night and find this. Coolant has discharged on top of the head. Since dealers are few and far between here, I start pulling plastic and find that the hose clamp going into the back (left side) of the radiator is loose and leaking. Being a Honda and not a Harley I did not travel with any tools. $20 later for a wrench set at Ace Hardware and after much grumbling to get the 6mm wrench into the small opening I think I’ve fixed it for the time being anyway. I realize that this is relatively minor, but I sure hope this isn’t a prediction of Honda quality control.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Don't feel bad, every vehicle or motorcycle (regardless of price or manufacturer) is subject to issues and as people put these things together, human error will always be present. My bike was low on final drive fluid, had Teflon tape floating around inside the DCT filter area, had various loose nuts and cut zip ties sitting in the nooks and crannies when I took it apart to add accessories, the front axle pin had no grease on it, and my steering nut was not torqued. Inconvenient yes but not something to worry about as to what might be the overall condition of your bike. Some folks carry a CC for emergency repairs and others carry a tool kit...I carry a tool kit.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If a Goldwing was assembled the same way as a Rolls Royce it would cost over $100,000 dollars.

·
Banned
435 Posts
My Goldwing was missing a bolt on the lower chin. It's frustrating, but these are complex machines, built by imperfect and error-prone bags of meat who are fighting against the clock to meet production goals.

I figure every bike has SOMETHING off, and if it's just a single missing bolt on my bike then I got a "good" one.

$2.88 at PartZilla and I'm good as new :)

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
CC and Tool Kit, oh and a 1st Aid Mini Kit!

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
249 Posts
I do carry a small tool kit. I also have a bit of cash and a spare CC stashed on the bike. (Also, a knife and a flashlight...lol.)

·
Registered
2,072 Posts

Wow, I would have thought it would have shown up much sooner. When I bought my '06 ST1300 I had an immediate coolant leak, turns out many bikes had the same problems, water pump failure and replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If a Goldwing was assembled the same way as a Rolls Royce it would cost over $100,000 dollars.

Having worked at a Rolls Royce dealership, I can tell you they "ain't all that". Try Lexus, Honda or Toyota for reliability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts