GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one may get long.....

As you may already know, this forum is an incredible source of knowledge, help and tips about our favorite motorcycle, the 1800.

Right now a friend and close neighbor, DRKeds, has his bike torn somewhat apart in my basement installing a bunch of stuff like CB, Gerbings controllers, etc. Not being a mechanic he has relied a bunch on the information and pictures of installs he has found right here.

In watching him, I see the same names coming up. People who have posted pictures, instructions and tips on here just because they wanted to help. The folks that come to mind are Bartman, Robeth, Fred H. and many more. Let's take this opportunity to publically thank them

Post the name of the great guy or gal to took their time to put something on here that has been a help to you. Or a board member who has actually done something to your bike for you and personally showed you how.

Just a little appreciation to deserving folks for being who they are.:yes1::yes1:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Redneck Dave was a great help to me when I was in Virginia Beach for a week a couple of years ago. We had never met except via the board or e-mail until he showed up to assist. A great guy as far as I am concerned and the same thoughts about his wife Pat. Great people that I am proud to include in my list of friends.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,663 Posts
wimpyhonda

Redneck Dave and Pat (the Admiral!)

Bartman

GSXR1000GL1800 (Wayne)

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
To name all the folks who have provided me with valuable information over the past two years would be next to impossible. Of course, there's the really obvious ones, some of whom have already been mentioned, and others who WILL be mentioned. But the biggest source of info for me has been the countless number of folks, most of whom I dont have the slightest idea of who they are, who are quick to jump in with a little tip or pointer in response to a "dumb" question. These often nameless folks truly personify the real value of GL1800Riders.com.

By nature, we usually dont take enough time to thank those who help us like this, or even acknowledge their value. Sometimes it's not even their skills or instructions that have value, but their encouragement. Last year, I was faced with the daunting task of installing a CB radio, and the thought of removing the top shelter was giving me panic attacks. But it was the encouragement from :bow: Bartman :superman1: and :bow: Red :superman1:, along with some excellent on-line how-to pointers, that convinced me I could do it.

And finally, a really special thanks should go out to Trialsman for starting this thread. Nobody does anything here for the "thanks", but it sure is nice when you get one..., even if someone has to remind us. :thumbup:

And now, back to our regular programming... :lol:

~

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
:agree:I appreciate everyone on this board who has helped me, scolded me, corrected me, advised me, and just talked bad to me in general. There is most always a lesson to learn from someone if you can just recognize it regardless of how it was delivered. That is why I spend so much of my time here.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i would like to thank friends ive met here but im sure i would forget some!

thanks to the folks that have ridden with me,talked to me in chat,followed me through snow and rain,graced my house with their friendship,stuck up for me,told me i was wrong and to make it right now!,,,,a special thanks to the folks that hung out in 27 degree temps for 24 hrs at the gap to help me,,to those that pointed out in that vid that fuse made that i was to close to the yellow line,making me change the way i rode and maybe saving my life,,,,,to the folks that offered their bikes so i dont go crazy,,,

and to the special folks who i seem to bother but cant seem to not read my posts,

to trialsman,,,for this post,i dont see how this one can go bad for you bud but it prob. will:joke::joke::joke:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I think that Fred is the ultimate source for the "easy" way how to do most everything on a wing. I use his info more to talk myself out of leaping in rather than creating basket cases for someone else, but he is a valued member and a great asset for the forum. Bulldog has given me alot of little pointers that have been a big help doing the few things that I do, and I still have all the notes that I took during his educational talk. He's also the source of my Amsoil!! Bartman installed my Muths at R-G 07 and helped me get a dangling PIAA back into place. His "buying" pointers have cost me alot of money, but I'm sure that they have saved me alot of aggrivation (?). He was the first place that I learned about resellerratings.com, which kept me away from the NYC photo shops, and got me hooked on Bose. His signature line has also been helpful, as has been DDking.

A special thanks from my riding co-pilot to Meesh! She gave great pointers that solved serious issues, and now everytime my mate leaps onto the wing we both shout "thank you meesh!!" I don't get the parking lot laughs that I used to, but the silent treatment is gone too:lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Thanks to all who rallied around me when I was hospitalized, and went out of their way to visit me on my long road to recovery. People like WVnVA, S&W (Beverly), Blondie, and the list goes on and on. :yes1:

However....

A very special thanks to Silverhawk (Winston), and his wonderful wife Mary. Robin and I both agree you two are the parents we should have had. Words just can't do justice on how much you two mean to us. Winston - heal quickly so you two can enjoy that fastest color (Crucible Orange) trike!

:superman1:

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Dusty74 and Skeeterbeater/Jeff are two of the most incredible people I have had the fortune to meet! I posted a simple question about Iron Butt rides, and they both helped make my IB ride easier, smoother, and more memoriably fun than I ever expected. Jeff shipped me the Gerbings off his back! Then he rode over to the eastcoast to sign my beginning paperwork and then rode up to Daytona with me. Dusty rode hundreds of miles to meet and ride with me to the thousand-mile mark, and sign my ending paperwork. :thumbup::thumbup: Dusty kept me awake, talking on the CB for about 8 straight hours!

The friendship and camaraderie of this forum is enough to write about! I feel honored to have met the many terrific people from here! People like the above-mentioned and others like:Wheels, RiFFRaFF and Robin, Todd/wvnnva, Tom/Silver Meteor, TJ!, FireEater/Mike, Margarita Will, IBBud, Blondie, JohnAcMan, BlkPirate, Beastie, Roger, TN Charlie, Scott/ScooterK, Mark/salyzyn, WeikoSteve, Kevin and Cathy Perry, and even Brian...and now, in an effort to ease my failing mind, I will just say, ALL THE GREAT PEOPLE I HAVE MET AND HAVE NOT YET MET!!!! ;) :lol: And YOU, Trialsman!!!

Bob/bnordt ran out and bought and shipped a Walmart seat cushion to me! Then he sat several hours with me at the dealer in NJ while the Gerbings hookup in my Wing was corrected. :thumbup:

I know about Bart helping countless board members...he offered TWICE, to install CB's in my Wings!! :yes1:

Great post, Paul!! The help, information, and support from this website is unparalleled in other forums. :agree:

As soon as I hit the submit button, I will remember at least 10 more people to list here!!!

A great big THANKS to Hal for creating and maintaining these forums!!!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Great idea, Trialsman...and you get my first nod.

Many "friends", some I've met, some I haven't...too many to list. Want to single out Bartman though as he's been a true friend and gentleman to me and MANY others.

Fred, your videos stand out...and let's mention HAL, and LaMONT...who give us this zoo to play in.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:bow:

I'll start with my "short list":

Fred Harmon and his bare feet, my portable dvd player has always had Fred in it and nothin' else. :lol:

RoBeth who came all the way up to my home for me to assist him with his installs but I got to look at another Wing stripped down and "coach" him along thru Fred (again). That made me realize that after HDs a Wing isn't hard to work ya just have to be on the ball the entire time. ;)

Hedo, Trialsman, BullDog and all my DarkSider Bubbas for all the equipment variations and assistance there.

Woad Wunner and all the other folks that have stopped by here in the EpiCenter of Yankee/Canuck WonderLand aka Va Beach, who have made me realize that great folks are everywhere even the ones who ride motorcycles. :roll::lol:

And many others that just share the I ride because I can mentality like myself even if I get to ride year round when they do not. ;)

On to another year of fun and ridin'.

·
Registered
154 Posts
:agree: I rarely post Questions, but I have read all the threads that pertained to my questions. I thank everyone here for your knowledge and support you show for all riders. I'm still fairly new to the GL community, I'm only 32 and have a hard time finding people of my age on Goldwings so I just sit back and enjoy reading the threads and riding my Stallion.
:popcorn:.

:bow:Thank You:bow:

·
Vendor
21,560 Posts
Along with Techdude2000 and Waldo. Some of you guys seem to know the color of every wire on the wing and what it does
Yea, TechDude and Waldo are also great resources. Folks may not realize it, but I probably learn as much as or more from this board than I give out advice.

The knowledge of the collective is much greater than could be from any single person, and this is what makes this board so strong.

·
Trained Killer Member
1,533 Posts
I posted this thread a few days ago after surviving my HEART ATTACK when learning how much I've spent on farkles already. I'll only add that while I may not be able to provide much mechanical support, I HAVE provided many of you guys MANY laughs (at my expense usually) at the different get togethers. I'm only too happy to provide the entertainment! :joke: and be the source of some fun rumors! :roll::roll::roll:

...so here it is:

I am so thankful for friends like BARTMAN who give up their time helping mechanically challenged guys like me square away their bikes. No telling HOW MUCH $$$ all this would've cost me in LABOR! And all the folks like FredH (way too many others to list here) who share their mechanical knowledge with us all. You guys are all tops in my book! :bow:

And let's certainly not forget HAL, BULLDOG, TOURMAN, et. al. who provide great deals on exceptional products - it kinda lessens the sting, if ya knows what I means! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Lastly, I'd like to say I'm so grateful for all you guys - riding buddies, forum fellas, etc... for helping me enjoy this awesome lifestyle of motorcycling.

May each and every one of you have a prosperous NEW YEAR! :capwin:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts