GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I had the misfortune of having my alternator go out on me at about 10:00PM, a mere two days before we were leaving on vacation to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I quickly put a post on the board that night asking for help from anyone in the Baltimore area who could change out an alternator on an 1800. At 7:45 the next morning my cell phone rang and it was a guy who introduced himself as "Wheels" from the GL1800 board. He pointed out that he had never changed an alternator in an 1800, but that he had tools and Fred's videos if I could get my bike over to his house - and he also pointed out that he had a trailer if I needed to use it to move my bike.

Long story short, the only alternator I could find was up in Cleveland, OH at a buddies garage (only 350 miles away!). I called Wheels and he loaned me his trailer to haul the Wing up to Cleveland and change out the alternator.

For those of you who know Wheels, this will come as no surprise, but the man is a true gem! He did not know me from Adam, yet offered to assist me in changing an alternator AND let me use his trailer. At 3:00PM the day after I put a post on this board, I was leaving the driveway at Wheels house with his trailer attached to my car - I'm not even sure if he knew my last name at that point. I was able to get the alternator swapped out and enjoy a remarkable vacation.

Thanks Wheels!! I guess the old adage is true - "You meet the nicest people on a Honda!"

Mike

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Yep, Jim (Wheels) is a "stand-up" guy!

Just an FYI, the "How To" section of this board is extremely helpful for many things you might need/want to do to your bike and this post is one of the most helpful. If you had seen this, it might have saved you a trip all the way to Cleveland. You could have had the alternator shipped to you overnight and done the install yourself.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245555

Glad you're back on the road! :thumbup:

·
15 year Member
6,946 Posts
Wheels IS da man!! You will be a better person now that you have met him, I am..

Matt(BCNV):thumbup:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Not surprised in the least :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Good job Wheels, always nice when you can help a fellow biker. :bow:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Bart - you are absolutely correct. I had seen the link you referenced, but being the "handyman" that I am, was intimidated to tackle this project. But the board always helps to give me some ideas of how to tackle issues - or at least give my friends (the mechanical ones) some hint as to where to start...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Most important lesson learned

Pass it forward ! Some day you will have to opportunity to help someone out. It's all good! Ride safe everyone.

·
IronMan
17,864 Posts
Just think what world would be like if we all gave just a little not talking money either most people dont care but about themselves you go wheels - meet ya ay restaurant in daytona bike week your freinds put your bike in rev n hit the kill switch loo

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You will never meet a nicer guy then him and his wife and kids.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The best part is, Wheels does not want his trailer back!

What a Guy!....LOL

Dawg

Dawg,

Didn't he borrow that trailer form you?

Way to go, Wheels. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Wheels IS da man!! You will be a better person now that you have met him, I am..

Matt(BCNV):thumbup:

Don't scare the man off. :wrong:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
A whole bunch of "attaboys" for Wheels - a good man!:clap2:.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't know the man but I will give him :thumbup::thumbup: with a twist. The world needs more folks like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts