GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't cleaned my rims since the summer of 2007 if I remember correctly.
Sure, I'd give em a once over with a cloth, but nothing spectacular. Yesterday, I decided to take a few hours and try to clean them a bit, so I went out and purchased a pack of Libman's Heavy Duty Scouring Pads. I tried SOS pads lightly on the rims a few years ago, but decided against it. I tried Mother's Powerball, and while it did a bit of cleaning, it wasn't clean, nor did it get rid of all of the dirt.

Well....I remember seeing SOMEONE post about these Scouring pads, and decided to give it a try.

Wooooo-Hooooo !

What once took over an hour for a wheel, I completely cleaned it in less than 10 minutes !!! A bucket of water and some dish washing liquid, and it was soo effortless, I could not believe my eyes ! I initially tried the Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish with a cloth, but to no avail (for the most part). Using the Libman pad, it took less than 5 min/side on the front wheel to almost get it to the point where it looked like I just purchased the bike !

Anyway, it's not much, but, I'd like to thank whomever made that post about the Libman Scouring pad for the info. I won't have these wheels chromed or powdercoated, but from now on, I will keep them cleaned and polished, now that it only takes a few min with the libman pad.

Here's a pic of the rear wheel, but the front looked just like it.

Here's what the Front tire looked like after cleaning it with the pad, but not quite finished using Mothers Aluminum polish.....

And what has become an addition to my cleaning arsenal. :thumbup:
I imagine any other (scotchbright, etc) will work also.
Sorry bout the blurries. MY hand moved.

It's not much, but, I'm happy. Good to have a board like this around for info!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
<Anyway, it's not much, but, I'd like to thank whomever made that post about the Libman Scouring pad for the info.>>

THANK YOU, Thank you, thank you!

If there's one thing better than English, it's correct English.
= )

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
No worries -- it's not my job to correct anyone!

We all make mistakes at times, but sometimes I get excited when a very common mistake is NOT made.

It's the little things that make life enjoyable.

·
Registered
731 Posts
There are plenty here that will correct spelling mistakes and then spend time kissing each others a$$. Then there are those that do truly care about the rider and the bike and could careless how you spell something, they will post usefull information and tips.

Dale

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I t all has a

There are plenty here that will correct spelling mistakes and then spend time kissing each others a$$. Then there are those that do truly care about the rider and the bike and could careless how you spell something, they will post usefull information and tips.

Dale

·
Registered
124 Posts
Where do you buy these please?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Now that you have the gunk off of them shine them up with mothers polish, this is the front wheel on my 02, haven't got a good picture of my 08 yet.

REAR WHEEL

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Well, you'll never get them clean just using polish. :p

I just took a couple hours the weekend before last and sanded mine down and then polished. What a PIA. I keep saying I'm going to get them powder coated, I just never get around to it. time seems to slip by faster and faster the older I get. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Glad you found something that works. My Wing only had 4200K on it when I got it but I couldn't believe the rear wheel had already corroded some.

Here's a great metal polish that can be picked up at most big rig sales or service departments.

http://www.zephyrpro40.com/s2/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=77

Since you got um clean better get some sort of polish on them for protection.

If we have police for spelling and punctuation here they'll have a field day with me :p

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,219 Posts
Glad you found something that works. My Wing only had 4200K on it when I got it but I couldn't believe the rear wheel had already corroded some.
4.2 million miles! Holy crap! I'm surprised it still ran. :wrong::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
4.2 million miles! Holy crap! I'm surprised it still ran. :wrong::lol::lol::lol::lol:
It is a Honda Goldwing, I would expect nothing less with proper care....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts