GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, had planned to ride We'd. & Th. from Littleton, CO to Austin for MotoGP this w/e. Weather forecast for Wed. morning went from beautiful to 4-8" snow. Was helping family move thru Tues. evening, but that finished early, so Carol says "Looks like bad weather Wed. morn; why don't you leave Tuesday and avoid it?". Good idea! Got ahead of the rain and snow to ride to Raton last night. Kept hearing big winds were to come today. Holy crap. From Amarillo to Lubbock, 40-50 mph sustained crosswinds with gusts to 70 mph. Skies were brown and on two occasions it was dark and visibility was 50'. Windshield was so dirty I had to stop at a truck wash to wash the bike to continue. I literally couldn't see. Someone asked for riding techniques. Mine was to tuck as close as possible behind the windscreen to minimize profile and keep the front planted against getting blown out. It looks like a motocrosser. I wouldn't recommend riding in this.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is a long flat stretch going to and from work about 8 miles long. One of the guys at work followed me along it once and said I was tilted into the wind by quite a bit. He said he was surprised that my tires aren't worn on one side.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Bill and I were southbound on I-25 not long ago, also getting caught in some of those vicious crosswinds. Several times Bill's trike would be blown completely out of the right lane into the left lane without warning or notice. Sure glad there wasn't anything on his left side during that trip. Even by reducing our speed by up to 15mph, I was still concerned with losing the back end to those crosswinds.

Once we turned right onto I-40, the wind abated but then we were contending with an unforeseen winter weather storm and nearly frozen roadways from Albuquerque to Lupton AZ.

VERY glad I was a Darksider during that trip!

Definitely white knuckle riding...

- David

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Worst thing about that Tx Panhandle wind is the dust. Even worse....there are a lot of cattle feed lots in that area so the dirt, isn't just dirt.

When the dust storm smells like manure and you can't see more than a couple hundred feet ahead....it's not ideal.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I've ridden through Amarillo many many times and on more that one occasion I've seen it change from 70* and sunshine to rain, wind, & snow all in 30 minutes. Once I had to stop in Vega about 35 mi west of Amarillo and hunker down for the night. :crying:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My experience in wind is that the Faster You Go, then more steady the bike.
Also (and nobody but me has said this) is that the addition of a Cargo Box on a trailer hitch (no trailer) adds quite a bit of Stability to the bike too... I figure it acts like the Fleece on an arrow, go figure.

Worst wind I've encountered is 65mph Cross Winds in Montana... had to ride on wrong side of 2-lane road (upwind), so that when I got hit by a gust and knocked 10ft to the right, there would still be pavement under my wheels. Fortunately, being Montana, there was no oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Sounds like my trip across Wyoming and Nebraska last year. Just brutal. 60 mph plus gusts from the south all day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts