GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put up with the bum bun syndrome long enough. I have lurked in the shadows reading posts complaining about the stock GL1800 seat. I too have found it uncomfortable after just a couple of hours and miserable after 200 miles or so. I have removed the seat from my bike several times and studied the geometry of it to try and figure out why they are so uncomfortable. I do believe I have the answer.
The foam padding at the back rest is about 2 1/2" thick and is dense foam. About 8" from the backrest moving toward the nose of the seat the pan starts a 45 degree rise to meet the tank shelter. If you are thick bodied like myself the back rest throws you forward and this rise catches the forward part of the crotch. I got some relief by folding a beach towel and building up the seat bottom. I have just today began the process of modifying my own seat. I am taking pictures of the process and will post them later if anyone is interested. So far I have the seat off, the backrest trimmed and seat bottom padding added on rider and pillion area's. I am waiting for the upholstorer to get the vinyl in that I am going to customize the seat with. I am going to keep a picture dairy of the progress. I will have about $180.00 invested and hope to have a great looking and comfortable riding seat. Let me know if your interested in the process in the pic's.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hey Paupton, keep us posted on the progress. BTW, got any warm beaches down there that we northerners might enjoy for a week to warm up? :lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm interested. Every bike I ever owned seems to have a stock seat problem.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Awhile back there was a post concerning removing the seat. One of the replys mentioned that there were other tabs on the seat that had to be inserted correctly or the middle of the seat would ride high (sounds like your condition). It went on to say that the only way the seat could be properly installed was to remove the trunk backrest.

I haven't verified this yet as I still have the seat off while doing some wiring.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
seat

Allan,
Kindly keep us posted on your seat progress. I must not have my seat installed correctly as here lately i have felt like i was riding on my nads.... Guess i'll remove the back rest and re-install the seat.
JD :biker:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Honda obviously can't design a seat that is going to please everyone's posterior.................God know's there are riders that weigh 140 Lbs and riders that weigh 340 Lbs!

I'm on the small side and IMHO the stock GL1800 seat is the most comfortable seat I have ever had on a bike. I've had a 1200 and 1500 Wing's also and I couldn't ride more than 100 miles on those bikes before my butt was hurtin'!
I can ride 400 miles non-stop (if fuel wasn't a problem) and not have a problem on the 1800.

This is probaby why there are so many after market seat manufacturers............to please those riders that are outside the design envelope of the OEM seat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Brian_Fenner said:
God know's there are riders that weigh 140 Lbs and riders that weigh 340 Lbs!

140 pounds. Can't imagine being that heavy again.

CTWing 132lbs

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Jim n Judy said:
Awhile back there was a post concerning removing the seat. One of the replys mentioned that there were other tabs on the seat that had to be inserted correctly or the middle of the seat would ride high (sounds like your condition). It went on to say that the only way the seat could be properly installed was to remove the trunk backrest.

I haven't verified this yet as I still have the seat off while doing some wiring.

Just a thought.

I posted this Jan 7th in Seat Removal thread:

Be aware how the front of the seat by the gas tank goes under the bracket when you reverse the process and put the seat back on. It is very easy to put the seat on improperly - only to have to take it off and redo. Some have ridden miles (very uncomfortably they say ) before discovering the seat was improperly mounted

With your seat off and upside down, you will see a white L shaped tang that aims toward the gas tank. Just behind the gas tank you will see an inverted U bracket. The white tang goes underneath the bracket. If the bracket is smashed down, put it back into a U shape so the tang will fit underneath. It is not necessary to remove the passenger back rest - but it was definitely easier for me to reinstall the seat with it off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Since I tend to be on the lazy side, I find that reinstalling the seat is easier if you open the trunk, grab the rear of the seat and pull the rear part into the trunk gap. The seat tab can be fitted easily into the tang; the seat then slides forward into position. Piper

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I agree with Brian, there is no way Honda could build one seat to satisfy everyone. It does seem sort of odd that Honda doesn't offer a few different seat options since there seems to be considerable demand for custom seats. I weigh 160 and am fortunate that the stock seat was designed nearly perfect for me.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Two comments,
Piper is right. You can have the seat back in place in 20 seconds by just opening the trunk lid. I'll add one tip. Reach around the back of the trunk lid. Grab the back of the seat through the opening and pull the seat back as far as it will go. You will have to raise it up slightly. Then push forward, guiding the front tab into place. Taking the backrest off is a waste of time.

I think that generally, heavier people don't like the seat. Although it is fairly thick and cushy, it is low density foam that compresses after you have been riding for awhile. Eventually, you are sitting on the seat pan. You will find that all of the aftermarket seats have much stiffer foam.

Larry

·
Registered
287 Posts
"Brian_Fenner"]Honda obviously can't design a seat that is going to please everyone's posterior.................God know's there are riders that weigh 140 Lbs and riders that weigh 340 Lbs!.

I weigh in at 260lbs 6'00 tall and im no small boy. :banghead: I find the seat on my '02 1800 Illusion Red just about perfect. :luck:

:yes: :rw1: :yes:
[/size]

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Always fight with the last 1/8 inch of that seat lip in the front. Twist the seat from left to right. Once an edge catches, the rest follows.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I like the OE seat with some of the wooden beads under my buns.

the wife says the seat is fine with her, no beads under her.

I dont remember 140 pounds. although i have lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks. I'm down to 172 now. loose a few more and I'll be happy

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ditto for me and the wife Tony. We use the same setup as you and it works great. I've been between 180 and 185 for years. I just hit 190 on the scale. I wonder where that other 5 came from. :shock:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Jim Mathis said:
Ditto for me and the wife Tony. We use the same setup as you and it works great. I've been between 180 and 185 for years. I just hit 190 on the scale. I wonder where that other 5 came from. :shock:
Hmm... Probably from Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Super Bowl munchies!

The stock seat is the most comfortable motorcycle seat I've ever been on. I weigh in at 195. I'm not heavy, I'm just short for my weight.

John

·
Registered
368 Posts
I like the stock seat. To me it is the best seat Honda has put on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am about 6'2" 230lbs and I feel a little cramped on the stock seat. As I look at the seat there is about a three inch transition ridge between the driver seat & the passenger seat that rises up about an inch (above the back seat). I am thinking if you removed the cover and cut back the foam to the back of the stitching on this transition (again about 3 inches backward) and reupholstered the seat it would be about perfect. Has anyone tried this (I hope I am describing this clearly) this will require upholstery skill. Has anyone else thought of this and do you know of an upholster who would tackle this for some bucks?? I think I would like to try it.

Ronnie :yw1:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts