GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2008 level 4 Red Henry’s Drive
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That turns into hours. I decided to tackle adjusting the cruise control on my 08 airbag model. Well the procedure is so simple as shown by Fred’s video that I said, heck yes! My cruise has had a slight delay since day one of my ownership, so my air filter change presented a golden opportunity to correct that, only problem was I had already done the air filter change out and down to putting the bodywork back on.

If you have not done this job before it involves lining up some notches in the throttle cables. Easy, peasy. Except, those notches are down with the throttle bodies, under the airbag, radio, and air filter assemblies. But Honda did provide an narrow sight line that makes it possible to shine your flashlight down onto those notches to view your adjustment progress. However!!!! On the air bag model you have to remove the ecu and the bracket that holds it to the side of the airbag radio assembly. Well, no problem, I had already had it off to do the air filter. So off it comes again, and within minutes, I have the cable adjusted. Nothing left to do but put the ecm bracket back on along with the ecm itself. So I get everything lined up and start the one bolt that attaches the bracket to the frame and I’m within a few turns of having it seated and the the head of the bolt breaks off!

Hours later and a trip to three different stores for possible tool solutions, I finally got back to being able to thread a new bolt back in the hole. Nothing I bought helped me out at all. Due to approach angles and wiring looms limiting access, I ended up have to use progressively larger drill bits to drill out the broken bolt. I don’t think I can say I got all the old bolt out, but I was able to run a 6 mm tap into the opening and produce threads that worked with my new bolt.

Happy days are here again.

· Registered
2002 GL1800A
105 Posts
Hate when that happens.

I tend to add an hour to everything I do. Broken bolts are definitely a huge time add on.

My clutch bleed on my '02 still is not "done".
Started it yesterday, it is not done yet because I can't get the upper left (clutch side) push pin to install on the center upper cowl, just not enough room to get 2 hands up in there to get it in the right position and insert the push pin. The other side took me 20 minutes, and said forget it after getting so frustrated.

Glad you got it sorted out though.

· Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,492 Posts
Hours later and a trip to three different stores for possible tool solutions
I feel your pain here sir. That has happened to me more times than I can count. Glad you finally got it.

On my 06 airbag model the cruise adjustment was under the right handlebar beside the steering head.
I think Fred called this method the quick or easy method, something like that. I have fixed the cruise control lag by adjusting the cable barrels under the right handle bar on all three of my Wings, it is pretty easy to do. I did have to ride them afterwards to make sure it was set right, this Wing took a second time to turn the barrel a little further.

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Odd. Seems like an awful lot of work. On my 06 airbag model the cruise adjustment was under the right handlebar beside the steering head. Didn’t need to remove a thing. Sorry you had so much trouble. I too have had simple jobs turn ugly.
I’m not sure what the difference could be. My adjustments were made where you state but to insure it is spot on you are “supposed“ to view the notches on the cruise cable and the throttle assembly. For my first go around I followed Fred’s instructions. I did notice Fred has a cd noting another short cut but I haven’t viewed that video suggestion.

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could a bore scope have been used to confirm the notch alignment and then use the barrel adjuster under the handgrip for the adjustment ?
Absolutely, I started looking on line for one yesterday. I’m always fiddling with one of my vehicles so I will be investing in one soon.

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hate when that happens.

I tend to add an hour to everything I do. Broken bolts are definitely a huge time add on.

My clutch bleed on my '02 still is not "done".
Started it yesterday, it is not done yet because I can't get the upper left (clutch side) push pin to install on the center upper cowl, just not enough room to get 2 hands up in there to get it in the right position and insert the push pin. The other side took me 20 minutes, and said forget it after getting so frustrated.

Glad you got it sorted out though.
Only thing left for me to do before good riding weather is clutch and brake fluids. I’m still trying to build up enough internal fortitude to tackle those two.

· Registered
10,923 Posts
Only thing left for me to do before good riding weather is clutch and brake fluids. I’m still trying to build up enough internal fortitude to tackle those two.
Speedbleeders....

· Registered
106 Posts
They say you can go to school and pay for it to get your education,or you you can get your education by doing and paying for it a bit at a time. I have taken many of those "short" courses by doing. Not sure which method is cheapest, but the "short" courses taught me how to use my words, just not nicely!

· Registered
2002 GL1800A
105 Posts
Front brake is not a biggie.
Clutch sucks due to the tupperware and parts that have to come off and go back on to get to it, but process is easy once you get to it.
Rear brake, well, it is what it is.

Speed bleeders would help some, but you still have to move around and do them all in order. The process of opening and closing the bleeder is not a big deal. Plus does not help with the Rocky bleed part.

But on the topic of this thread, I can see myself screwing up the speed bleeder install and adding 3x the time to do it.

· Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,492 Posts
10 minutes to get ready, rest of the day to get started...at least in my case any way.

I'm what you call a "professional procrastinator". I am a pro at it😁🥸
Maybe it's a southern thing, I'm always "fixing" to do something. Fixin to put my shoes on, fixin to start getting ready to start the job, fixin get on it shortly etc. Just thinking about fixin to get ready takes 10 minutes 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
1,962 Posts
Maybe it's a southern thing, I'm always "fixing" to do something. Fixin to put my shoes on, fixin to start getting ready to start the job, fixin get on it shortly etc. Just thinking about fixin to get ready takes 10 minutes 🤷‍♂️
Maybe.
I turned "pro" last year on Memorial day when I fell off the ladder.

Broke my right heel bone, dislocated and had a severly sprained right ankle, damaged left Achilles heel tendon AND 3 fractured vertebrae...sat around the house for 6 months, gained 48Lbs and got the serious case of the lazies...🫣

I discovered how easy it was to NOT do anything.😴

· Premium Member
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,475 Posts
Before my wife passed, she’d tell me if I spent as much time working on it as I did looking at it I’d be done already.
Ya know, I have the same problem. I start something or get ready to start something and in many cases, I'll just sit and look at it instead of getting off by butt and grabbing the tools, get to work, do what's needed and button things up and be done with it. There's times when a job SHOULD take an hour but, it ends up taking 2,3, 4..... This retired thing has benefits for sure but, acquiring the lazy mode should not be one of them.
Scott

· Registered
1,792 Posts
That turns into hours. I decided to tackle adjusting the cruise control on my 08 airbag model. Well the procedure is so simple as shown by Fred’s video that I said, heck yes! My cruise has had a slight delay since day one of my ownership, so my air filter change presented a golden opportunity to correct that, only problem was I had already done the air filter change out and down to putting the bodywork back on.

If you have not done this job before it involves lining up some notches in the throttle cables. Easy, peasy. Except, those notches are down with the throttle bodies, under the airbag, radio, and air filter assemblies. But Honda did provide an narrow sight line that makes it possible to shine your flashlight down onto those notches to view your adjustment progress. However!!!! On the air bag model you have to remove the ecu and the bracket that holds it to the side of the airbag radio assembly. Well, no problem, I had already had it off to do the air filter. So off it comes again, and within minutes, I have the cable adjusted. Nothing left to do but put the ecm bracket back on along with the ecm itself. So I get everything lined up and start the one bolt that attaches the bracket to the frame and I’m within a few turns of having it seated and the the head of the bolt breaks off!

Hours later and a trip to three different stores for possible tool solutions, I finally got back to being able to thread a new bolt back in the hole. Nothing I bought helped me out at all. Due to approach angles and wiring looms limiting access, I ended up have to use progressively larger drill bits to drill out the broken bolt. I don’t think I can say I got all the old bolt out, but I was able to run a 6 mm tap into the opening and produce threads that worked with my new bolt.

Happy days are here again.
To adjust the cable the quick way without having to peer into the gap, turn the adjuster out some then throw a cushion on the frame and test ride with the shelter off. Keep adjusting until it is good, then button up the shelter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts