GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800 Premium Audio Comfort Nav ABS 2003 Honda Shadow 600
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I removed the shield, air filter cover, etc… air filter didn’t look to bad. Not too happy with yellow gooey stuff. I think it’s water mixed. Cleaned it all out.

Wasnt has hard as I thought. All the plastic covering everything, taking my time Helped. But I gotta admit it’s a bit intimidating To say at least.

Now for the 64k question. As much of a P.I.A. it is to pull the gas tank. Which is full of gas? 😂. From what I read it sucks. Do I need to buy a pump or something? This is what I am thinking. Is there anyway I can get a small type vise grips on the gas line feed to clamp it off? Then once out I think I can drain it into the car or can someway. Just wondering if someone knows a good vid I can watch about removing gas tank? I am more visually oriented.

Reason why is because since I got this in July. I have no record of water pump, thermostat air cleaner, etc.. was last done or checked. Since it’s winter. No time better then now to do it. What could go wrong? 😂 I like to keep records of oil changes, air filters, brakes, etc….

In one of the pics. What is the hole in the RED BOX? I put a little screwdriver just see what’s there. All I got was oil.

Now what’s the 2 holes in the BLUE BOXES? I took the tip air gun/nozzle in each hole I got this yellow goop like substance shooting out. After I shot air in the 2 holes. I got air free flowing through. My guess is that water/moisture got in it. Bc the screws for the throttle (tubes or whatever they are) were wet, yellow goop. Not a lot but it’s something I know that it shouldn’t be there. So whoever did the air filter beforehand didn’t replace gasket or tighten it down enough.

Thanks all
Grille Rectangle Wood Automotive radiator part Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper
Grille Rectangle Automotive radiator part Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
489 Posts
If your anti freeze looks clean and you have no leaks or overheating I myself would not mess with the water pump or thermostat. These are two items that cause little problems until a bike has accumulated a significant amount of milage. The goop you referred to is usually a mixture of oil and condensation, but I would not be shoving screwdrivers or shop air down orifices in the fuel injection. There is a catch hose for the condensation that might never have been emptied, I would start there.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The last few paragraphs of your post don't show up for people using the forum in "dark mode", you may have set the text color to "black" instead of "default". Use the "Remove Formatting" button to reset it.

Some may not know how to select the text to make it readable, and responses to your post may be fewer as a result.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you’re going to pull your tank, all you need is a 5 gallon can and a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 hose that’s about 3 feet long. With this, you can siphon the gas out of the tank. I’ve done this several times. Just be quick about it or you may end up with a mouth full of gas.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The last few paragraphs of your post don't show up for people using the forum in "dark mode", you may have set the text color to "black" instead of "default". Use the "Remove Formatting" button to reset it.

Some may not know how to select the text to make it readable, and responses to your post may be fewer as a result.
ok. just saw that. thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your anti freeze looks clean and you have no leaks or overheating I myself would not mess with the water pump or thermostat. These are two items that cause little problems until a bike has accumulated a significant amount of milage. The goop you referred to is usually a mixture of oil and condensation, but I would not be shoving screwdrivers or shop air down orifices in the fuel injection. There is a catch hose for the condensation that might never have been emptied, I would start there.
ok. I will take the advice from someone who knows from experience. can you elaborate more on the catch hose? I am sure the the serve manual is not gonna point that out directly. The mileage is about 52k +/-.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
To pull the tank, for whatever reason, you will have to empty it as much as possible. Getting the tank out means twisting and turning in multiple directions. After you get all the bolts out holding the tank, slip some plastic bags where the tank contacts the frame. makes it much easier to slide out.
Question, why do you want to remove the tank? The only reason I can see is to tighten the hose clamps under the tank and clean the main grounding point. I did this o my 2004 because I had a slight coolant leak on the Y pipe under the seat.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
ok. I will take the advice from someone who knows from experience. can you elaborate more on the catch hose? I am sure the the serve manual is not gonna point that out directly. The mileage is about 52k +/-.
The maintenance schedule in the service manual lists it as "crankcase breather" and it lists checking it at 4000 miles. It's a primitive capture hose that collects oil that collects from blowby fumes back into the airbox. My manual details it in section 4-10. I check it when I have the valve cover off for spark plugs. Every 4000 miles, not hardly, maybe 16 to 20,000 miles. If the bike was an oil burner it would collect more oil in the airbox but mine doesn't.

To the OP I wouldn't worry about the little bit in the pictures.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to ask a stupid question here. But how can you tell if the antifreeze looks clean from inside the box? Another stupid question I have is on mrcycles >>>> Honda 2006 Motorcycle OEM Parts, MRCycles it list gl1800 3a, 4a, etc.... Why? I need to order some stuff. Wanna make sure I order from right one. thanks

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Not to ask a stupid question here. But how can you tell if the antifreeze looks clean from inside the box? Another stupid question I have is on mrcycles >>>> Honda 2006 Motorcycle OEM Parts, MRCycles it list gl1800 3a, 4a, etc.... Why? I need to order some stuff. Wanna make sure I order from right one. thanks
If you're not sure the last time it was changed, change it. The hardest part is getting the lower cowl off to access the drain. There are a lot of posts and videos that show how to add the anti-freeze.
As far as the different models, it depends on what one you have. Audio/comfort (basic wing), Nav, ABS, and airbag.
Every site shows different designations for the different models.
MRcycles shows 3a-8a.
I found this list, it may be helpful.
Human body Rectangle Font Handwriting Circle

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
A word of caution siphoning gas out of the gas rank.
I recommend nothing over a 1/4 inch hose. I have experienced several GL1800's that the gas gauge went haywire after siphoning gas. It is vary easy to bend and damage one of the floats when shoving a hose down into the tank. In two occasions I have came across, the fuel pump assembly had to be replaced. Of course these ones were dealer shop repairs.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I recommend nothing over a 1/4 inch hose. I have experienced several GL1800's that the gas gauge went haywire after siphoning gas. It is vary easy to bend and damage one of the floats when shoving a hose down into the tank. In two occasions I have came across, the fuel pump assembly had to be replaced. Of course these ones were dealer shop repairs.

Corventure Dave
I agree. Using something like the Harbor Freight one could spell disaster trying to force it into bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're not sure the last time it was changed, change it. The hardest part is getting the lower cowl off to access the drain. There are a lot of posts and videos that show how to add the anti-freeze.
As far as the different models, it depends on what one you have. Audio/comfort (basic wing), Nav, ABS, and airbag.
Every site shows different designations for the different models.
MRcycles shows 3a-8a.
I found this list, it may be helpful.
View attachment 392518
ok. mine is 7a. no airbag. thanks. Now to ask another stupid question. what are good front brake pads do some ppl like? See on my 03 shadow 600. brakes are simple to choose from. I am learning that GW stuff there are a ton of stuff, styles, makes. I don't wanna spend a lot of money just bc of the name of the brand.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Corventure Dave
I think I am gonna leave it alone. go with old famous saying "don't fix what's not broken."

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Brake pads-> Oem. They may cost more but you won't have to worry about rotors being destroyed by some of the aftermarket ones. Pay now or pay later.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I agree. Using something like the Harbor Freight one could spell disaster trying to force it into bottom of the tank.
Is there a way to use the on-board fuel pump to empty the tank? Hard-wire 12V to it, and put a hose on the outlet side?

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,195 Posts
Well I removed the shield, air filter cover, etc… air filter didn’t look to bad. Not too happy with yellow gooey stuff. I think it’s water mixed. Cleaned it all out.

Wasnt has hard as I thought. All the plastic covering everything, taking my time Helped. But I gotta admit it’s a bit intimidating To say at least.

Now for the 64k question. As much of a P.I.A. it is to pull the gas tank. Which is full of gas? 😂. From what I read it sucks. Do I need to buy a pump or something? This is what I am thinking. Is there anyway I can get a small type vise grips on the gas line feed to clamp it off? Then once out I think I can drain it into the car or can someway. Just wondering if someone knows a good vid I can watch about removing gas tank? I am more visually oriented.

Reason why is because since I got this in July. I have no record of water pump, thermostat air cleaner, etc.. was last done or checked. Since it’s winter. No time better then now to do it. What could go wrong? 😂 I like to keep records of oil changes, air filters, brakes, etc….

In one of the pics. What is the hole in the RED BOX? I put a little screwdriver just see what’s there. All I got was oil.

Now what’s the 2 holes in the BLUE BOXES? I took the tip air gun/nozzle in each hole I got this yellow goop like substance shooting out. After I shot air in the 2 holes. I got air free flowing through. My guess is that water/moisture got in it. Bc the screws for the throttle (tubes or whatever they are) were wet, yellow goop. Not a lot but it’s something I know that it shouldn’t be there. So whoever did the air filter beforehand didn’t replace gasket or tighten it down enough.

Thanks all
View attachment 392502 View attachment 392505 View attachment 392506
The hole in the red box is connected to the air box drain that should be drained or checked at every oil change. It has a clear vinyl tube attached with a cap that you remove to drain and reinstall the cap. If you look hard around the front of the left valve cover you can find it tucked behind the cover. The two ports at the rear of the box have the crankcase vent hoses attached to them and that’s where the oil blow by comes from that you are finding in the box. The larger half moon port toward the front center is the fresh air intake port for the PAIR system and it will clear itself while riding. I agree with the other guys, if you don’t see any coolant at the rear of the engine, leave the water pump alone and just change the coolant. Make sure both o-rings are on the air box lid and it’s mating surface under the filter’s edge.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The hole in the red box is connected to the air box drain that should be drained or checked at every oil change. It has a clear vinyl tube attached with a cap that you remove to drain and reinstall the cap. If you look hard around the front of the left valve cover you can find it tucked behind the cover. The two ports at the rear of the box have the crankcase vent hoses attached to them and that’s where the oil blow by comes from that you are finding in the box. The larger half moon port toward the front center is the fresh air intake port for the PAIR system and it will clear itself while riding. I agree with the other guys, if you don’t see any coolant at the rear of the engine, leave the water pump alone and just change the coolant. Make sure both o-rings are on the air box lid and it’s mating surface under the filter’s edge.
thanks for tell me about the hose. yea. your like the 4th person tp say leave the pump alone. I will. Listen to the people with experience. So I shall.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Thanks 2000, I have just learned something new again, this morning.....

Ronnie
11/29/21

1 - 20 of 28 Posts