GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 GL1800 w/ABS comes with a 365 days perfect riding weather since I live in Southern California... :lol:

I feel :( for those of you who have this incredible machine in the garage and 4 feet snow out on the driveway.

Please don't get upset.... Since months I follow this board and many times I see people claiming that their COLOR is the fastest one or their bike has the SMOOTHEST RIDE.

Huuhhh !!!! 8)

My bike color ( Candy Black Cherry ) may not qualify as the fastest one or my bike may not have the smoothest ride. But at least I can ride 12 months of the year.. Hah haaaaa :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I couldn't stand...
:D :D :D

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
let me find out youall wanna compare were you live to where i live, soley based on weather.

there seems to be about a hundred other categories that would need to be addressed. ill gladly park mine for 4 months for the other advantages of living in a city thats always number one or two in places to live polls put out by money magazine and others like it.

yes its important to ride, but not at the comprimise of all other important things.

snowed in , in madison wisconsin, and quite happy about it.

loren

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I will point out that there is more than one place with year round riding.

8)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn it...

You're both right... :lol:

But still, I have a new wing and I'm happy that outside is sunny and will be 73 tomorrow so I AM HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
:wink:

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Loren....Have you ever thought if your City was that great everyone would want to live there, but they don't do they?

To many of us, cold weather really sucks. Even birds have enough sense to fly south in the winter.

It's just a matter of choice where you live! I just chose a place, when I was in my late twenties, where I could live 365 days a year. We have sunshine almost every day of the year. Our suicide rate doesn't jump off the scales in the winter either! :D

Loren...You can tell us when it's 75 degrees on the 15th of July how beautiful your summer is. It will only be 90 down here. No need to take it personal when we brag about our weather in the south.

If it will help your feelings, I had to ride 250 miles in the 75 degree rain today for lunch.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
can you imagine how great it must be to live here in the number one city in america, if we didnt have to overcome the weather comditions.

yes the weather drug the rateings way down and were still able to be at or near the top of every list thats published. and whos our biggest competitior in the polls, rochester minnesota, another winter place that has crappy weather.

about the everybody wanting to live in the certain place, then why doesnt such great places as florida have 100 million people living there. i know why, but i need to play nice .

ya we all choose where we live, i have been just about everywhere, and this is it, for a variety of reasons.

yes staying in the house in crappy weather does suck. but its a small price to pay for the quality of life that comes with the crappy weather.

a lot of wing riders came to madison last year for the wing ding, hope to have youall back for a visit soon.

loren

·
Registered
498 Posts
So, do you Floridians ride in the hurricanes you get too?

Just curious, cuz we don't get those up here so I don't know if you can or not!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Paul H.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No hurricanes over here in SoCal.

Just a clear blue sky most of the time.

Yesterday was 60F. :cry:
And that was pretty Brrrrrrrrrrrrr" cold for us... :shock:
Can you imagine
:wink:
Today it was 70 degrees thank God... :D

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
no hurricanes, just earthquakes and mudslides.

Remember that awesome feeling the first week you had your new bike. We get to have that same feeling every year when we pull our bikes out after 2 months of storage. I feel sorry for you year round riders.
Larry

·
Registered
824 Posts
What is the criteria for being the top cities?

Low crime rate? (snowed in and it's too darn cold to do anything)
Fishing and Hunting? (pretty much available all over the country)
Lower population density? (get out of the city and move to dem dar mountains or better yet Loren, how about the middle of Saudi Arabia)

Loren remember, there is always a point and counterpoint. And, I'm sure you could counter everything here with more, but what is really the point?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
All I can say is all regions have their good points. The problem is how easy it becomes to take them for granted. Live out east, and riding the west is splended. Visa versa. Moved to New Mexico, only being a day ride from tons of attractions, and never did bother. Human nature is strange. We always want what we have to fight for. Lets just all point out the best places and spread the word.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
For all us northern riders, I'm working on snow tread tires, w/optional chains for the really icy days, and an electric windshield defroster to keep the view clear. Heated grips and clothing are already available. :lol:

Seriously, I live less than 10 miles from where I grew up as a kid. Living in a four season state really lets me appreciate the different seasons. If I had good riding weather year round, I'd never get the maintenance done on the Wing, 58 Chevy, and two daily driver van/PU, or be able to continue building my 41 Pontiac, not to mention the work I'm doing on the 64 year old house that I live in. I'd always be out riding. :lol:

But....when I retire, I'll be looking for a warm cozy place to call home. Right now, this multi-hundred dollar a year job keeps me here. :lol: What amazes me here, is that the natural gas supplier keeps saying that they charge only what they are charged for nat. gas, and don't make any money on it. My gas/elec bill in Dec was $195, Jan. was $300. I wanna place that I don't have to cool OR heat, has cheap gasoline and NO taxes.

Okay, I'm going to watch the jazz band on Today Live. Have a nice day and enjoy the weather. :lol:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
But....when I retire, I'll be looking for a warm cozy place to call home. Right now, this multi-hundred dollar a year job keeps me here. :lol: What amazes me here, is that the natural gas supplier keeps saying that they charge only what they are charged for nat. gas, and don't make any money on it. My gas/elec bill in Dec was $195, Jan. was $300. I wanna place that I don't have to cool OR heat, has cheap gasoline and NO taxes.

Phil, don't know about cheap gasoline and NO taxes, but Ghana I've heard has an annual low of about 70 and an annual high of about 90 degrees! LOL

·
Registered
263 Posts
It would be great to live whee I can ride all winter. Everyplace has its goods and bads. I love Florida but the money sucks compared to New Jersey. The cost are all relative to the earnings.

I plan on going to fla in my near future.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
But....when I retire, I'll be looking for a warm cozy place to call home. Right now, this multi-hundred dollar a year job keeps me here. :lol:
I'm with ya, Phil. I've lived in the Denver area all my life and though there are aspects of it I love (BIG mountains), I'll be looking for a warmer place as I get closer to retirement. Jobs keep us here now. One thing for sure... snow shoveling will NOT be one of my retirement activities!
BTW Jim D. - you're a cruel person. :)

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Hey Loren , Seattle was named one of the top cities to live in some years back. So every body moved up here , now it sucks. So enjoy it while you can. Being named best place to live is a dubious honor at best.
Mick :yw1:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Man o Man. Hope nobody blames Woodbourne NY as a great place to live! I don't want no steenkin neighbors....LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
229 Posts
So Jim...... do you enjoy those clear blue skies while stuck in that infamous Southern Cal-ee-fo-nea traffic :p

·
Registered
990 Posts
California has other things too. Such as mud slides, earth quakes, brush fires that eat up a lot of peoples' houses, in debt up to your ears, a tremendous illegal mexican population, just a few of the many things Califonia has to offer. I'll take the abreviated riding season in the Big Apple. At least when I walk out the door I don't have to worry if the ground is going to shake the hell out of my house and fracture the roads I ride on. Yes we do have traffic and some conjestion, but I'll take that over the great things California has to offer.

S

·
0 Posts
Jumping on the bike in spring is just like riding the "new bike" every year.
Winter is fine it gives me time to build a trailer or do some remodeling that I won't due when the weather is nice and beside I have snowmobiles and we have snow. It's fun all year for me and wouldn't trade country living for 365 days of sunshine in the city.
I have a scenic 35 mile work commute with little or no traffic.
I guess one just has to make due with what you have.
Of course I'm kindof a dumb ass and that also helps. :wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts