GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A reply to another thread got me to thinking, dangerous stuff this thinking. I'm currently reading a good little book "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" by Christopher Schwarz ISBN: 978-0-578-08413-8. In it he has a phrase "tool-shaped objects" to describe inferior tools. I think a variation of that phrase is a perfect description of most motorcycle gear. Truth in Advertising should require labels to say this is a "Motorcycle-shaped" riding jacket or this is a "Motorcycle-shaped" boot. Sure would make life easier.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I think a variation of that phrase is a perfect description of most motorcycle gear. Truth in Advertising should require labels to say this is a "Motorcycle-shaped" riding jacket or this is a "Motorcycle-shaped" boot. Sure would make life easier.
According to who's expert opinion? What works just fine for some may not work for all.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to who's expert opinion? What works just fine for some may not work for all.
Trying to reply with out sounding condescending because it is not meant that way. The post was about how much worthless crap is sold as motorcycle gear, stuff that doesn't perform the function it purports to do or does it in an inferior way. There are "motorcycle boots" that are not water proof and will come off your feet in the event of a crash, that is a "motorcycle shaped object" as is a jacket that will shred and come apart during a slide. The list goes on and on. The labeling was a tongue in cheek throw away line, sorry you took it as a serious suggestion.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Trying to reply with out sounding condescending because it is not meant that way. The post was about how much worthless crap is sold as motorcycle gear, stuff that doesn't perform the function it purports to do or does it in an inferior way. There are "motorcycle boots" that are not water proof and will come off your feet in the event of a crash, that is a "motorcycle shaped object" as is a jacket that will shred and come apart during a slide. The list goes on and on. The labeling was a tongue in cheek throw away line, sorry you took it as a serious suggestion.
It's cool. That's why this forum is such a great resource. With as many members as we have, someone has tried just about everything out there. It's pretty easy to find out what works, doesn't work or is junk. As with any purchase, do your homework and "buyer beware".

If you are making a joke or being sarcastic, one of these helps. :joke: ;)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Yesterday I was at a bike rally / Poker Run in Soldier Iowa. One of the big things I noticed was the people looking funny at my jacket and gloves.

My jacket is a nice Oilskin duster in the short style. My gloves are a pair of Mechanics wear gloves.

Either of them had seen more miles on a bike than at least half of the people in that crowd of thousands, and the Jacket is only a month old.

Not only that, but either of them offered more protection than easily half the jackets and gloves in attendance. I saw jackets that were about as effective at stopping wind and abrasion as a t-shirt, and gloves that were so poorly designed that the studs would probably contribute to the loss of fingers they experienced in a crash.

But I can understand why they would think that their gear was more "Biker" than mine. They had leather vests! OHHHH!!!!! They had Tshirts that Said Harley! OHHHHHH!!!!! And they had enough fresh ink to fill a swimming pool, so obviously these idiots, many of whom were having trouble using he clutch, gas, and brake at the same time knew what they were doing because their individuality and rebel nature drove them all to look just like everybody else.

So next time I will wear a ****ing leather jacket. I'll consider it camouflage to blend in with idiots.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Yesterday I was at a bike rally / Poker Run in Soldier Iowa. One of the big things I noticed was the people looking funny at my jacket and gloves.

My jacket is a nice Oilskin duster in the short style. My gloves are a pair of Mechanics wear gloves.

Either of them had seen more miles on a bike than at least half of the people in that crowd of thousands, and the Jacket is only a month old.

Not only that, but either of them offered more protection than easily half the jackets and gloves in attendance. I saw jackets that were about as effective at stopping wind and abrasion as a t-shirt, and gloves that were so poorly designed that the studs would probably contribute to the loss of fingers they experienced in a crash.

But I can understand why they would think that their gear was more "Biker" than mine. They had leather vests! OHHHH!!!!! They had Tshirts that Said Harley! OHHHHHH!!!!! And they had enough fresh ink to fill a swimming pool, so obviously these idiots, many of whom were having trouble using he clutch, gas, and brake at the same time knew what they were doing because their individuality and rebel nature drove them all to look just like everybody else.

So next time I will wear a ****ing leather jacket. I'll consider it camouflage to blend in with idiots.
Happy Halloween !

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Happy Halloween !
I hate to agree with YOU, but it did feel about like that.

I was the only kid there that had not go the word that a costume was required.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
A reply to another thread got me to thinking, dangerous stuff this thinking. I'm currently reading a good little book "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" by Christopher Schwarz ISBN: 978-0-578-08413-8. In it he has a phrase "tool-shaped objects" to describe inferior tools. I think a variation of that phrase is a perfect description of most motorcycle gear. Truth in Advertising should require labels to say this is a "Motorcycle-shaped" riding jacket or this is a "Motorcycle-shaped" boot. Sure would make life easier.
Thanks for the flashback, Ken. It reminded me of the times that I used to spend with my youngest son when he was in grade school (he's 35 now).

As he began to want his "own" tools, I gave him the same advise that I'd received when I was young: buy the best quality that you can afford, or wish you had! Save the impulse-decisions for food choices and plan your tool purchases so that you buy tools that will last decades, not weeks.

Like most of us, he wasted his allowance on 'bargains' and learned from the experience.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Bubba,

I agree with you, but the problem I have is that it is going to take some government entity to control the quality, and it will have to be 'certified' by this government entity, which will drive up the cost of the safety items we want to buy. e.g. Why are prescription drugs more expensive than 'supplements' which make no claims for a specific purpose.

I support the 'buyer beware' method. Companies that make quality products will end up controlling the market. The others will likely either 'just get by', or go out of business because they don't sell a quality product. As I've seen a majority, or at least a large percentage of riders in particular are more concerned about looking cool, than preparing for a crash. e.g. Would you rather have a simple leather 'motorcycle' jacket, or a armored jacket with back, shoulder, elbow protection in the case of a hard landing and a slide.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bubba,

I agree with you, but the problem I have is that it is going to take some government entity to control the quality, and it will have to be 'certified' by this government entity, which will drive up the cost of the safety items we want to buy. e.g. Why are prescription drugs more expensive than 'supplements' which make no claims for a specific purpose.

I support the 'buyer beware' method. Companies that make quality products will end up controlling the market. The others will likely either 'just get by', or go out of business because they don't sell a quality product. As I've seen a majority, or at least a large percentage of riders in particular are more concerned about looking cool, than preparing for a crash. e.g. Would you rather have a simple leather 'motorcycle' jacket, or a armored jacket with back, shoulder, elbow protection in the case of a hard landing and a slide.
Don't worry, I'm not advocating "safety testing". Just an observation that the market is flooded with Motorcycle-shaped gear. Just for grins and to watch this thread go bat do do crazy I'll even name a few.

One of the first that comes to mind is CruiserWork boots, look like motorcycle boots, even called motorcycle boots but they meet none of the criteria for a good motocycle boot. They are not waterproof, they offer little or no crush protection and they will not stay on your feet in the event of an unplanned get off. BTW, I own two pair, they sit in the closet along with a ton of other motorcycle-shaped gear.

Any helmet that is not full face and some of the modulars...motorcycle-shaped helmets even if DOT approved, none will do a damn thing for your face as you slide down the road on your chin. You want to see my shelves of motorcycle-shaped helmets, I don't even want to think about how much money was wasted.

Most of the big name riding jackets and pants are better than nothing but not much, if it cost less than $200 USD you are probably not getting what you thought you paid for. I've got a few of them as well stuck in various corners of the house.

No need to even mention fingerless gloves but there I did it. Proud to say not a pair to found in my discarded gear, one of the few things I've missed.

This isn't to put down folks that use motorcycle-shaped gear, just pointing out all isn't what it is sold as.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Bubba,

That makes an unhealthy assumption...

That any politician will appoint anyone that has a freaking clue what they are talking about.

More likely the government would eventually just decide that anythign that does not have a minimum for 4 wheels would have to be outlawed and they would start arrestign 3 year olds for riding a powerwheels tricycle.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Good! I agree with you 100%. :thumbup:

I'd be interested to hear other examples of 'motorcycle-shaped' gear. I'm suspecting that I've got a few of them. I wear a full-faced helmet now that I've seen the damage to a helmet from a slow-speed get-off, so that's an excellent example. It's also an instance of a regulated item that by your definition is 'motorcycle-shaped gear' being approved by the government, yet still not meeting the stricter definition of 'motorcycle gear'.

Just some food for thought for those that would want things to have to pass 'certification' as 'motorcycle gear'. Many 'certified' items only have to meet 'minimum' requirements rather than a grading system(A-F). It's pass or fail. I suspect part of the reasoning for this is that people think it is intrusive, but the only place where I've seen a grading scale to consumers(I'm sure there are others, just not aware of them) is for restaurants.

I've also noticed that if it's not an "A" rating, it tends to go out of business quickly. I don't think that would happen with motorcycle gear though. A lot of people only care about 'being legal', so they're content to go out riding with flipflops, shorts, no shirt, no gloves, glasses, and no helmet if they live in a state where it's legal. In CA, where we have a helmet law, a skull-cap would still be the helmet of choice. A grading system is the only way I would see that would be justified, since otherwise, we'll be wearing skull-caps, and think we're wearing adequate gear. That way the government isn't more involved as far as what is legal, but perhaps the AMA could come up with a voluntary 'grading' system you could subject your product to. I'm sure some the the big-name brands would pursue this as a good marketing vehicle. I don't think the NGATT people would still only do what they felt was necessary. The ATTGATT crowd would likely gravitate to the "A" rated gear.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
That makes an unhealthy assumption...

That any politician will appoint anyone that has a freaking clue what they are talking about.

More likely the government would eventually just decide that anythign that does not have a minimum for 4 wheels would have to be outlawed and they would start arrestign 3 year olds for riding a powerwheels tricycle.
See my above post. I think we're on the same page. I don't think the government option is good. You are correct that it could snowball and that is always a fear of mine. It could turn into forcing people to buy A-rated gear, and it would, of course be as expensive as a toilet seat on the space shuttle because of the extensive 'government(read your money) research' would require. It could get even worse, to the point that nobody will build motorcycle gear because of the cost/lack of profit. So, nobody can ride at all. Could even cause outlawing motorcycles completely, but I think that is a very severe scenario.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts