GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems no one can find a source for the JIS P6 epdm/epr O-Rings that are required for the upper plunger assembly to rebuild the ADV. This is a show stopper if you want to rebuild your ADV... which I'm planning on doing as soon as I can find the O-Rings. Does anybody know where I can get some? Heck, If I have to buy them in mass quantity, I don't care at this point. Where the heck is Honda getting them from?

Here's a post with the most information I've found so far about these O-Rings and the ADV rebuild.
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65429

Is anybody else in the same situation I am, trying to find these O-Rings?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Soloquest said:
It seems no one can find a source for the JIS P6 epdm/epr O-Rings that are required for the upper plunger assembly to rebuild the ADV. This is a show stopper if you want to rebuild your ADV... which I'm planning on doing as soon as I can find the O-Rings. Does anybody know where I can get some? Heck, If I have to buy them in mass quantity, I don't care at this point. Where the heck is Honda getting them from?

Here's a post with the most information I've found so far about these O-Rings and the ADV rebuild.
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65429

Is anybody else in the same situation I am, trying to find these O-Rings?
I am right there with you. I can't find them except in a full kit from Maryland Metrics.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the kit deal with Maryland Metrics? How many O-Rings for how much. We may have to do a bulk purchase here.

I just found a company that will make them, but they would have to be in bulk. The gentleman said they need to be not only EPDM material, but Peroxide cured EPDM to truely withstand deterioration or swelling caused by brake fluid. He could put an order together in 4 weeks.

Anybody interested?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Soloquest said:

I just found a company that will make them, but they would have to be in bulk. The gentleman said they need to be not only EPDM material, but Peroxide cured EPDM to truely withstand deterioration or swelling caused by brake fluid. He could put an order together in 4 weeks.

Anybody interested?
I'd be interested; please let us know the details if you decide to proceed

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Soloquest,

You might try these folks

http://www.marcorubber.com/epr.htm

Check this for compatability with brake fluids (says Viton ETP is OK with brake fluid as well as EPDM and EPR)

http://www.marcorubber.com/material_chart.htm

I don't think they'd make you buy a kit but there might be a minimum of 100 or so rings (I'd buy a set or two from you if you need to buy a bunch)

I think that the ring needed is AS568A-010 which describes the size, not the substance it's made of. Someone that knows these things better than I should verify that size before ordering. They have EPDM and EPR rings at this supplier.

EDIT: Oooops :oops: looking at some previous posts from Jerry Roebke it appears that there are not one, not two but three different o-ring sizes for a rebuild. The following post thread has Jerrys description of the o-rings needed

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=40134

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I FOUND O-RINGS!! BUT.... they don't have them in EPDM. They have them in Buna-N. All my research here directed me to EPDM material, but take a look at this chart. Is BRAKE FLUID considered a HYDRAULIC FLUID? If it is, it appears that the Buna-N will work. I need the experts to chime in on this one.

Fred H. said:
Jerry Roebke had a source for them, but I don't know how to contact him. He lives somewhere in Colorado, if that helps any. You might try to dig up his old posts and see if he posted the source or any contact info.
Fred, I think Jerry is MIA. I PM'd him and got no reply.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I don't think that brake fluid would fall under the category of hydraulic fluid. Most hydraulics are, I believe, petro based while DOT 4 is Glycol based.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Maybe you should edit out his phone number? Might be too ticked to share his o-ring source if you put his number on the 'net.

·
Registered
84 Posts
With all due respect. That number is ALL over the net. But you are correct, he may not appreciate it being posted here. If anyone needs to call him they can find it easily.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Jerry is, or was, a GWRRA member. His info is probably in the Gold Book

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have found 2 companies that will do a manufacturing run on a minimum lot of 100 pieces (O-Rings). It's probably not cost effective for me to do it that way, even though I've had a bunch of offers from folks offering to buy some from me. I'm going to keep looking, but I think I've reached the end of the intenet. :lol: :lol:

I wonder if Hal would be interested in carrying/selling them? I'll even do the leg work for the manufacturing run.

Where the heck is Honda getting them from? Is there a number at Honda to call to find out?

Jerry is MIA. I've PM's him with no reply. If someone could PM me that phone# that was deleted from this thread, I'll try and give him a call. I missed the # before it was pulled.

Why is this such a hard item to find? It's like it's a little miniature Dunlop EIII..... nowhere to be found!! :twisted: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well... I tried Jerry's #. It's been disconnected. Doesn't reply to PM's. Hmmm... I hope he's OK.

I guess we're on our own. No luck in my search today. What to do???

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Here is Jerrys original post - am putting it here so we have everything in one place. This is a really good reference done by Jerry.

There are two types, EPDM/EPR for the Plunger Assembly and Buna-N/Nitrile for the Anti-Dive Valve. Do NOT Mix the two types.

Oil will cause EPDM/EPR to Swell as will Brake Fluid on Buna-N/Nitrile.

On the Plunger Assembly you need Two sizes JIS P6 & P12 (or 2-111). The P6 O-Rings are the ones that swell and Stick while the P12 may be OK.

For the Anti-Dive Valve you need Three sizes, JIS P5 & P18 plus for the Plug on the bottom 2-016-N1470 will work. The P5 may leak due to High Pressure from a Stuck Pop-Off Valve/Seat that will require a new 2-016-N1470 to service it if you take out the bottom plug that holds the Spring in.

·
Registered
560 Posts
There are a total of 8 o-rings in one of Jerry's kits. You might check with McMaster Carr. They carry a huge selection of 0-rings.

JJ

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JJ said:
You might check with McMaster Carr. They carry a huge selection of 0-rings.

JJ
I did, they have the size, but not in EPDM. Minimum order of 100 for them to get them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts