GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you have already seen this show, it was produced in 2002, but I saw it for the first time last night on the History Channel. How many have had the opportunity to drive or ride on the Autobahn? I would love to ride not only a GL1800 on it, but maybe a Ducati, Aprilia or one of the Japanese crotch rockets. The turns, banks, hills and valleys along with a first class riding surface would, IMO, make this one heck of a ride.

What a terrific piece of engineering and construction. The Germans, unfortunately, put our interstate system to shame. I'm in highway construction (don't flame me here for the delays we encounter every summer, everybody has to do something for a living :) ) and one thing we continually try to stress to DOT's is to build highways properly. The Autobahn has an overall depth of 27" which includes the compacted dirt base and the asphalt or concrete driving surface. Our highways are typically 1/2 that, which leads to earlier deterioration and failure. We all know how some of our roads are a joy to ride and others we will avoid at all costs.

The following is "soap box" and should probably be on the Off Topic board, but the first part was about riding so I guess it qualifies for this board. Contact your state senators and representatives and let them know you support better roads and highways. The new ferderal budget is taking a big chunk of the money earmarked for highway & bridge rehabilitation, reconstruction and new construction. Let them know that this is not acceptable, we all deserve good, safe roads.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Andy, European roads, in general, are far superior to ours. And I've always enjoyed them, especially the autobahns.
BUT ... one thing to keep in mind is the distance and the tax base. Drop a map of Germany over a map of Texas ... and you suddenly see why Germany can afford to build and maintain the road.
That said, the approach is SOOOO different over there. First off, a license is not an entitlement like it is here. In Holland, for example, you actually have to prove you can do more than aim your car in the general direction you're going. My brother failed his bike license test twice as he was judged to NOT be aggresive enough to safely drive in traffic. Imagine an examiner over here who not only tests to see if you know where the wipers are and how to turn off the cruise, but actually gauges you proficiency ....
For the size of our country, we have an incredilbe road system ... but, unfortunately, the elected officials only worry about building new roads, not paying to maintain the ones already built ....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OrangeCrush wrote:
First off, a license is not an entitlement like it is here.
The show mentioned that to, a drivers license may cost $1500 to $2000 and you have to be 18 before you can even apply for one.

Imagine an examiner over here who not only tests to see if you know where the wipers are and how to turn off the cruise, but actually gauges you proficiency ....
We can only imagine, but what a difference we might experience if this was the case. I thought of a new bumper sticker the other day while driving around town.....

AT LEAST PRETEND...........
YOU KNOW HOW TO DRIVE

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
well thats why here in the north we pay some of the highest road use taxes there are. only 48 cents a gallon.

so we can have second rate roads to cruise.

perhaps we can spend a little less on policeing the third world and spend that cash here, so we dont become the third world.

loren

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've driven on the autobahn in an E Class Mercedes. I probably wouldn't try this on a Wing, because of the stupid speed limiter. Maybe on an RT or GT.

Before you bash the US too much for our bad roads, decide if you want to live with the German taxes and lower standards of living. It all has a price.

I had a chance to talk to a fellow that was touring S. Germany and heading into Austria and Switzerland on an RT. He sounded like he was having a great time.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I wouldn't mind paying more per
gallon for better roads, but my 17
miles per gallon in my truck would
suck. And that new 2008 GL2300
Goldwing with Air Conditioning is
only going to get what, 20 something
miles per gallon?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts