GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear, my Wing is possesed. It was so beautiful here in Tennessee Sunday that I told my wife I was going out for a little ride. Two hours later I'm sitting at the top of the Cherahala Skyway on the North Carolina side. I have no idea how I got there or any recollection of the ride. That ever happen to you guys? It's kinda scarey...the Wing just went there on it's own, at least that was my story to my wife on my cell phone. She was yelling something about us supposed to be at an anniversary party for some friends. Oops. But I do remember the ride back down to Tellico Plains. Not much traffic, just me and the siver bird flying through those long sweeping turns and looking right and left at the breathtaking 50 mile views. It truly makes me feel sorry for all our flatland Winger brothers and sisters out there who don't have close access to places like this. Of course, I'd probably get less cold shoulder at home if I didn't live so close either. Hehehehe.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Was there last July and really enjoyed it. Very little traffic making it that much more enjoyable. Would like to be back again this coming July.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My view of the Skyway was different than yours. Everything was great until we hit 4,000'. Then the fog set in, don't remember seeing anything but fog until we got to the other side at 4,000'. Before 4,000' you could see for miles and miles. Hit that magic number, you could not see the bike in front of you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
wingosilver57 said:
... She was yelling something about us supposed to be at an anniversary party for some friends. Oops ........ I'd probably get less cold shoulder at home if I didn't live so close either. Hehehehe.
LOL wingosilver57............. Happens to me all the time as well. Not the first a** chewing, wont be the last either........... oh well. Who says freedom is free??? har har har

·
Registered
134 Posts
BrianSC said:
wingosilver57 said:
... She was yelling something about us supposed to be at an anniversary party for some friends. Oops ........ I'd probably get less cold shoulder at home if I didn't live so close either. Hehehehe.
LOL wingosilver57............. Happens to me all the time as well. Not the first a** chewing, wont be the last either........... oh well. Who says freedom is free??? har har har
Brian and wingosilver57, you two might want to consider getting your wives into riding. That way they'll understand all about "the possession" that commonly takes place when you head off for a short run on the bike on a sunny day. I usually cover my tail by asking Ed if he wants to go with me when I leave for the grocery store on the bike. And he will usually go, if he can. Otherwise, it's understood that my 5 mile trip may not bring me home til 200 miles later.

Disclaimer: The above senario works both ways and courtesy calls are always extended if/when that happens :D .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point Raven. Actually, she does ride with me but only at 75 degrees and above. It was about 60 degrees when I took off from home and even cooler up on the Cherahala. It's just so easy to intentionally get lost on the Wing. I think it shorts out all "responsible" brain waves when I throw a leg over.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome pictures Fred! Any riders who haven't been there are truly missing some of the good Lord's finest work. It makes me want to go back today!

P.S. Is your avatar on the Cherahala?

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
You guys are driving me crazy. We are going to be there this June from Cleveland Ohio to do the Parkway, Deals Gap, the Skyway, etc. I can't wait.

Wingosilver,
Don't feel sorry for us flatlanders. I've been riding the beautiful farm country in Ohio for years, and haven't tired of it yet. There are very few states that don't have their share of breathtaking scenery. That's why we own a Goldwing. We plan on seeing it all one mile at a time. (I can't wait for June though.) hehehehehe
Larry

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Larry M

What date in June are you going? There are 8-10 of us leaving Indy on June 9 to head down and ride Deals Gap, Cherahala and see some of that beautiful country.

I have been on the BRP but not any of the other areas. I am looking forward to it. I just hope we do not hit any fog. When my wife and rode the Parkway two years ago we were on it for three days and had beautiful weather for all three.

·
Registered
325 Posts
wingosilver57 said:
Good point Raven. Actually, she does ride with me but only at 75 degrees and above. It was about 60 degrees when I took off from home and even cooler up on the Cherahala. It's just so easy to intentionally get lost on the Wing. I think it shorts out all "responsible" brain waves when I throw a leg over.
8) Ditto 8)

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Ross,
We are going down the last week of June, leaving Sunday the 27th. The Honda Hoot is that week in Knoxville. We will only be at the Hoot for one day to go to the vendor expo and the other 5 days will be riding the twisties in NC and Tennessee.
Larry

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Larry, Ohio does have some beautiful contryside. There's just something about a road that's a mile up in the air with views back down to the bottom that's hard to beat. Hope you enjoy your riding in the mountains and maybe I'll see you up there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
wingosilver57 said:
Can you say Gerbings?? :D :D As for respoinsible brain waves (or lack thereof), I agree. Isn't it great?

P.S. Looking forward to meeting you and the Mrs. at the March lunch ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts