GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some member please put a photo of the belly pan fitted to the wing on the board. A shot taken from the left or right side would be fine. :rw1: I just want to see if there is a slight gap to the front side, like the one on my wing.

:yes: :rw1: :yes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got that small gap also. A verrry small on each side! Still work great and I feel much safer with it.

G

·
Belly pan

I am thinking about buying one and looking the picture I thought the front lip was to go on top of the cowl lip,it looks like yours is under.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The front or small portion of the belly pan is suppose to go inside or on top of the front cowl. That way it won't catch any air, also there will bemore of a bend to deflect oncoming foriegn objects. At least thats the way it was explained to me, and mine has always been that way. Here we go !
The great Belly Pan debate !! Yee Ha! :angle1: ( Always get this way on fridays ) :yes2:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mine has that gap like in the picture and it drags when I lean it too far in a corner. Well, it used to drag, it is worn away now. Also, the front part does go inside the lower cowl.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Belly Pan

ELCHINO IS WATCHING AND WAITING!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,095 Posts
I believe the pan was designed to be fitted inside the tupperware, but the instructions did not specify as I recall. I put mind on like the photo and initially I evenhad the front lip below the center cowl -- but realized right off that was wrong. I later realized the side front lip was supposed to be tucked under (or if not supposed to, at least it fit and looked better that way). When I tucked it under it sure fit better, no stress or strain and the locking screws worked much slicker too. Now she is as smooth as glass under there. Maybe a golf ball dimple pattern is next, like Lexus advertises -- or is that BMW? Tuck it under, you will like it -- easier to assemble and easier to remove!

prs

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Pan Picture

wingless said:
Hope this helps

Wingless and friends, :capwin:

:yes: Thats NOT how I have mine fitted. :yes: The front lip of the pan should go inside the lower cowl like some of the members have stated and there is a small gap to the left and right hand side, :capwin: this is why I checked to find out if this is correct, :s27: but its important to get the second opinion when in doubt. :luck:

:chatter: :rw1: :chatter:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just got mine installed and it looks just like yours Red. I have to wonder if the tight fit puts any stress on the front cowl. Cracks in my future :?:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Belly Pan

#4 of the Installation Instruction states place the front of the removable section on top of the back edge of the spoiler, probably not as clear as it could be.
Allen

·
Registered
56 Posts
pan rattle

I installed the belly pan on my 02 GoldWing and it rattles when warming up. Does anyone have this problem? And what did you do to correct it?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Tallman ?..............I would check your installation. Start her up and with your hand feel which one is producing the rattle. Pushing up and locking eash side down should produce a tight fit, and on the front piece there should be enough pressure after to you lock the two screws in to hold it stiff. The smaller front piece should go on top or inside of the lower cowl section. I suspect one of the front screws might not be locked in place.
Should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bulging Bellypan...

Just my 2 cents worth but I just came in from the shop after installing the Tulsa B-pan and had the same observation about the openings on either side. I thought about a little hammer & tong modification to make the fit/finish better, but then thought again. I deceided the opening is there for a reason, to 'attract' air flow inside and through the B-pan. Otherwise it would have been a simple job to fabricate the fit a litlte closer at the point of manufacture, no? Just a thought...
Jim of the (still) frozen north.

G

·
BELLY PAN

YOU WANT THE GAP ON THE CORNERS IT LETS AIR IN TO CAUSE DOWN FORCE ,THATS WHAT MAKES IT STEADY AND HELPS KEEP HEAT DOWN BY ALLOWING AIR TO PASS OVER CASE. ITS LIKE A INVERTED WING ON AIRCRAFT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts