GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 314 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Touched base with the local Honda dealer. Gave them a heads up, promised a reminder visit the beginning of June, and they told me if we need anything, stop in and let them know. I know their service dept. stays booked, but they assured me if you need oil changes, flats repaired, or other repairs while you're here, they'll push you to the front and get you taken care of. One more off the list.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Touched base with the local Honda dealer. Gave them a heads up, promised a reminder visit the beginning of June, and they told me if we need anything, stop in and let them know. I know their service dept. stays booked, but they assured me if you need oil changes, flats repaired, or other repairs while you're here, they'll push you to the front and get you taken care of. One more off the list.
That's great to know that the local Honda dealer will be available to help out if needed. You just can't predict when a problem could arise and ruin the entire trip for someone. :thumbup:

You da man!

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,703 Posts
So I guess I have to ride to Arkansas to start my trip????:biker:

I don't know ... I guess an MRI can happen just about anywhere. Might have to leave out some of the real curvy roads? I suppose we can find some between here and our destination. I know of a few!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well, the dates been set, the key local players have been contacted, rides have been planned, and some swag has been lined up, now we wait. I've got a few little things I'll be working on till then, but I'll ask all of you a question or two. If you're going to make the trip out here, besides what I think is good, what do you want to see or do? What can I show you or point you in the direction of? Zoo's, Aquarium, Dinner Theater, scenery, fishing? While you're here, are there any special needs you may need access to? What can I do to make 2021 happen?

Seven months and 29 days! :grin2:

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
For me it's scenery and great rural roads to ride on. That's my main reason for motorcycle riding especially when riding to a destination away from my home state. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever plans you decide on. I've been to Idaho Falls before but only for 2 rain filled days. I look at it this way, as a guest I have absolutely no right to complain and I'm easy to get along with so I'm sure I'll have a great time meeting old and new friends. :thumbup: I feel that you have gone over and above in setting up this meet-n-greet. Thanks:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm a worry wart by nature. I'm less worried about whether 5 or 50 folks show up than I am about those that do having a good time and doing so safely. Scenery and rural roads I've got, if the Osprey and Eagles would show up on que life will be good, and of course there's the weather. We control what we can and hope the rest falls in place. I think it will be good.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sounds like a good time, I'm in! I've been looking at the map of the area. Obviously the Tetons and Yellowstone Nat Park are close and great day rides from Idaho Falls. Do you mind sharing other good ride loops in the area? Thanks for your work on this Mountainrider. Looking forward to meeting you all.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Sounds like a good time, I'm in! I've been looking at the map of the area. Obviously the Tetons and Yellowstone Nat Park are close and great day rides from Idaho Falls. Do you mind sharing other good ride loops in the area? Thanks for your work on this Mountainrider. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Don't mind at all. How many do you want? :wink2: Here's one that really is in Wyoming, but a beautiful ride that can be done as a long day ride or spilt into a two day ride so you can take advantage of the scenery and get some great pics.

Wind River Loop

Start out of Idaho Falls, heading NE on highway 26 along the Snake River and Palisades Reservoir to Alpine, Wyoming. In Alpine, you'll head North on 26/191 through Hoback Junction and on through Jackson. This takes you past the back side of the Tetons with awesome unobstructed views of the mountains. You'll come to the junction of 191 and Highway 287, head East on 287 and follow that to Lander, Wyoming. If you plan on splitting the ride in two, Lander is your best stop for the night with good lodging and dining available. Leaving Lander, on 287, you'll get on State Highway 28 heading SW until it meets back up with Highway 191. Follow Highway 191 NW back to Alpine and on 26 back to Idaho Falls.

Beautiful winding roads, watch for Antelope, stop in Irwin, Idaho for square Ice Cream, and bring a camera. There you go. Give me a couple days and I'll post another one up for ya. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wind River Loop--
This will be a good two day ride on the way over there or on the way home. I'll need to make a stop in Rexburg too.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
. Leaving Lander, on 287, you'll get on State Highway 28 heading SW until it meets back up with Highway 191. Follow Highway 191 NW back to Alpine and on 26 back to Idaho Falls.
If you do this route as MountainRider described, you need to stop at Farson Mercantile and get some ice cream where 28 meets 191.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Their fresh Huckleberry is to die for!!!!! Opps, wrong place. I haven't been to that one, so I'll have to check it out. The one in Irwin is the Rainy Creek Country Store. Square Ice Cream cones are a must have there. During the Summer they have a line out the door. There's also a great steak house across the street. :D

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Highway 28 is a decent road in good shape. It's a nice rural ride through scenic countryside and small towns with light traffic. I ride it when we're going to Lolo and Orofino. Keep an eye out for deer and antelope if you ride that way.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I wanted to copy this from the other thread so all the information was in one place.

Well, here we go, version 2.0. Based on some discussion with a couple members from Idaho, I'm going to adjust the dates. If anything locally comes up, I'll just have to work around it. It is what it is, and like the GWRRA letter indicated, you can't please or accommodate everyone, so I'll try and accommodate as many as possible. I also want to provide plenty of time for folks who may want to ride in to be able to plan ahead. Capt. Bob, this may help with your little dilemma.

Dates will be 26, 27, 28, and 29 June. Earlier in the month we still see some rain and cooler weather. These dates are warmer without being brutal, and although rain is always a possibility, the chances of getting soaked are less likely. I added a day so as to accommodate arrival/meet and greet/check-in for camp grounds and hotels on Friday, rides on Saturday and Sunday, then depart on Monday.

Saturday's ride I'm thinking a ride to West Yellowstone and the Yellowstone Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. The cost is $15, $14 if you're over 62. Lunch afterward, followed by a bit of sight seeing and souvenir shopping. Anyone desiring to go into the Park can group up for a ride up to Old Faithful. If you have a National Parks Pass or the Senior Lifetime Pass, entrance is free. I believe the motorcycle pass is $30 and good for 7 days. Then return to Idaho Falls for dinner and lies of the day.

Sunday's ride I've considered traveling North of Rexburg and following Hwy 33 to Driggs, then over Teton Pass for a bit of twist and turns, South on Hwy 26 through Hoback Junction to Alpine, Wyoming, and along Palisades Reservoir for the return trip. I haven't planned any special lunch stop, but there are several places along the route for something quick, including square ice cream cones in Irwin. Once again dinner and stories at the end of the day.

I plan on starting the rides about 9 o'clock so we have plenty of time. Side trips and sight seeing will be adjusted depending on interest and time. I want this to be fun for everyone and not a demand upon your time, so we'll be flexible. Well, there you have it, hope to see you here.

As a side note, if weather or whatever else should make one of the planned rides not work out, I can also change one to Craters of the Moon with a lunch stop at Pickles Place for lunch. We've got backup.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hi, Patrick
I got it and don't even know what to say. Your offer is beyond anything I could imagine! Thank you! Now I'll really have to do some work. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Just a reminder, Friday reservations at the Motel are open. Mention The Best of the Great Northwest Meet & Greet to lock in the $67.11 rate. Cutoff for the Motel is February 15th. Campground reservations don't start until January 1st. For those of you that like Klim products, their store front and warehouse will be open on Friday the 26th and Monday the 29th if you want to window shop.

Also, The Cat Slaves has offered up some entertainment from North of the Boarder. I'll let him fill you in when he feels the time is right. Until then, it's our little secret. :wink2:

So who likes bumper stickers?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Just a reminder, Friday reservations at the Motel are open. Mention The Best of the Great Northwest Meet & Greet to lock in the $67.11 rate. Cutoff for the Motel is February 15th. Campground reservations don't start until January 1st. For those of you that like Klim products, their store front and warehouse will be open on Friday the 26th and Monday the 29th if you want to window shop.

Also, The Cat Slaves has offered up some entertainment from North of the Boarder. I'll let him fill you in when he feels the time is right. Until then, it's our little secret. :wink2:

So who likes bumper stickers?

I found it. Post #16 has the phone number for Motel 6.

41 - 60 of 314 Posts