GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BIG Thaw is Here

A big thaw is coming to the north country this weekend and lasting into this coming week.

55 degrees by Tuesday.

Maybe a good time to remove some outside Christmas decorations.:xmas1:

I'm tempted to ride, but my Goldwing's shed is still buried with tons of snow and ice at the front door. :snow1:

Also still lots of salt dust on the roads and streets around here yet. :no:

So who's gutsy enough to take the first plunge??? :biker: :superman1:

Sign In

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Heck this is actually nice weather. Got several miles on today. Hope to ride to work all week. It depends on the temp in the morning. IF it is below freezing no bike. The roads in town were really wet in places and that will be ice if it gets cold.

·
Registered
21,052 Posts
55 by THIS TUESDAY ? :shock:

it is nice to dream sometimes :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
A big thaw in coming to the north country this weekend and lasting into this coming week.

55 degrees by Tuesday.

Maybe a good time to remove some outside Christmas decorations.:xmas1:

I'm tempted to ride, but my Goldwing's shed is still buried with tons of snow and ice at the front door. :snow1:

Also still lots of salt dust on the roads and streets around here yet. :no:

So who's gutsy enough to take the first plunge??? :biker: :superman1:

Sign In
Hi Mike.
Guess I took the plunge yesterday.I went to Pittasburgh(home of the champs).I put about 170 miles on my 2003 wing,Getting all excited 40 days till spring.
Nice chatting with you.
Good Luck on your next ride.

·
Registered
353 Posts
But the good news yesterday the temp was up to 47 the drive and the roads finaly melted off the 1 1/2" of snow pack 38 today I had to take her out (you know to test all my work), saw that 20k is a good time for spark plugs so 60 mi later Ive got new plugs to put in, The wife said Im a sick man but have I got a big smile on my face. Now for the cleaning & waxing make sure no salt does any damage but it was worth it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Winter break

Not me. Aside from the salt dust the pot holes will swallow a car let alone a Goldwing. Heavy rain will wash away the salt but more will be laid down as soon as it is washed away. Just a way of life in Michigan.
Sure killed the snowmobiling in short order. Trails went to hell and getting into and thru some towns impossible.
Warmth sure felt good though.
Riding season can't be far away.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Yep, got mine out for a 40 mile ride Friday and another 20 on Saturday. Sure felt good. The three hour cleanup afterward wasn't as much fun. It won't be long now.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
While it has been cold here in NJ (not as cold as you boys up North) that is not the problem...lots of ice on the roads

Well we had a thaw and the roads are clear....salt in some spots but not too bad...gonna be a warm week so the daughter has my car and I reide to work!

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
Yup. I rode into work today. Reminded me I need new gloves and I couldn't find my riding glasses. Had to use a backup pair. But, it was worth it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Temps are supposed to be in high 50's this week. Would love to ride but the roads are covered in white from salt. They literally pour the road salt on in the winter. It will take 3 or 4 heavy rains to wash the salt off the roads.

2,732 Posts
A big thaw is coming to the north country this weekend and lasting into this coming week.
I admire you guys in Wisconsin for "hanging in there" but, I'm sooooo glad to have moved to Colorado after I saved enough money to get out of there :eek:!!! Been riding all winter so far here.......

By the way, WI Winger, your signature say's "across the street from the Holstein Girls" conjures all kinds of visions (having grown up on the dairy farm in Central Wisconsin).......

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way, WI Winger, your signature say's "across the street from the Holstein Girls" conjures all kinds of visions (having grown up on the dairy farm in Central Wisconsin).......
Canyon.....winter does suck here and if my wife wasn't running her business, we'd be out of here especially in the winter months.

Nothing like riding in the midwest spring, summer and fall, but then 6 months of.....:snow1:

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Hey wi-winger. What part of Wisconsin do you live in? 6 months of winter. What kind of groundhog do you have? I usually figure on 3 -4 months with some riding in the mix. Besides, don't you remeber Al Gore said we are experiencing global warming. Now I just have to worry about cutting the grass in a few weeks....lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
Gonna be 62 here in Chicagoland tomorrow (Tues). Raining now, so all the salt will be gone. Changed the oil, aired up the tires, goin for my 1st ride of 09 tomorrow after work, WHO HAA Can't wait! :excited::excited::excited:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hope to get out tomorrow after the rain tonight washes the salt away. I heard it's supposed to snow again by the weekend.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I took off the cover on Sunday, turned the key and the MC started right up like it was never 'put to sleep'. Did a nice ride around the neighborhood. Today was even better with a 120 mile ride. This is February in W. Michigan! Take advantage, it's good for the soul!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts