GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be filled in more latter, but:

December 16, 2006 first oil change @ 3358 miles, Shell Rotella Synthetic and Walmart SuperTech filter.
Checked airbox drain - dry.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
10-23-2007
Air filter form HDL (Honda) replace
Oil change (Rotela T Syn 5w40)
SuperTech ST6607 filter

Air filter was only slightly dirty, changed anyway.
Added gutter screen over intake horns to prevent rodent invasions.
Checked all bolts tight.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1-12-2009 ~28k miles

Long list of winter maintenance period items:

Brake pads (the Vesrah kind Traxxion recommends) all around. Only the left front really looked in need.

Fork fluid - BelRay 10 wt. One litter bottle - every drop! Anti Dive valve still seems functional, but I still have the mini-Conflat gasket in it to reduce kick-in point to minimum. Gauge panel was no big deal to pull off the grommet and suspend with bungee. Remember to check grommet engagement upon re-install.

Coolant - Honda from the car dealer. The old looked great, nice and crystal green. The new stuff has a different color, but is pre-mix. One gallon jug fluid. Overflow tank was biggest hassle, but still not that bad.

Brake and clutch fluid bleeding - discovered air in anti-dive valve, and now have a full rear pedal for the first time. Old fluid only slightly discolored. Two bottles fluid.

Oil and filter. Rotella blue jug synth (one gallon) and a SuperTech 6607.

Rear end lube. Penzoil Lower unit 80-90W

Added a new EC Power Plate and wired in the charger connection to the switched charger wire, the Gerbing connection to a 10 amp fused plate connection.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5-21-2009 Front tire failure

Replaced front Shinko due to failure from delamination of about a foot of the circumference in big blisters that filled the spaces between grooves on one side of the center. Had a set of 'stones that I had bought on one of Hal's sales, so I had that mounted. Now I have a spare rear D250 on a spare wheel, the Shinko rear with only about 7000 on it and a new 'stone rear. Looks like 7873 miles on the front that failed.

Pressure was always 38F-41R.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6-14-2009 sent Shinko front take-off with blisters to DLP in Hendersonville.
6-15-2009 32100 miles
Removed rear PC wheel and Shinko. Looked OK, but I will have the 'stone mounted anyway. Mounted the trike take-off D250.
6-16-2009 32110 miles
Removed the D250, mounted the 'stone on PC wheel. for now, both front and rear have balancing weights until I can get more Dynabeads.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
7-16-2009 338XX something miles. Did the valve clearance check. One exhaust (#1) .010 and four intakes .005, otherwise dead on the .009, .006 center.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
9-23-2010 Bled rear brakes real well to regain pedal. Found rear 'stone all worn out (it was Ok before we headed to BRP!) Replaced it with the spare D250 and ordered a set of ME880s. The 'stones are great, but just don't seem to last more than ~8000 miles, so I'll try the Metz again. May mount a Michelin RF CT on the spare rim soon.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
5-22-2011 54115 miles, new filter (the one I won @ TLR, Thanks CC!) Rotella blue jug 5W40, checked the little intake drain (empty). It has yet to become easier to install the front half of the belly pan, but at least I know that I must secure the left side Dzus first!

Also, removed the tunnel filters that were getting all wadded up and washed them out (yuck). I'll let them dry a few days and see if they are resilient enough to reinstall, or buy new ones.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
9-12-2011 57489 miles Rotella blue jug, 6607 filter, no liquid in the drain tube. Will have to swap rear wheels tomorrow to get a new tire mounted - the ME880 is already shot!

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
9-15-2011 57530 Went darkside with a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195-55-16 @ 33 psi and 2 oz DynaBeads. Ordered a 'stone for the front. Had mounting done by Bryan Willis @ Willis Cycle Works behind Biker Rags. This was his first RF mounting, and he worked on it for about 45 minutes - ended up standing on it while I held the started part and bumped the machine pedal for him. Nice guy, and I'lll probably use him in the future.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.