GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The correct oil is whatever you are using or want to use! :D The correct oil for me for years has been 20/50 Castrol Syntec Blend. I haven't destroyed a motor yet! LOL..... :)

Going for a nice 500 mile ride tomorrow. I sure hope my oil doesn't let me down. :oops:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
oil

I was using mobil 1 red cap 15w50, but this winter i tried the shell rotella T 5w40 and fell in love with it. It is only 12.88 at wally world in the blue gallon jug, just the right size for the wing. Rotella makes the wing shift as smooth as the mobil one in my opinion.
Jim
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
LMAO............Red you handsome thing you ! LOL

·
Registered
90 Posts
JD, I just swithched to Mobel 1 Red 15w50 because you recommeded it and now you tell me you have switched to Rotella T. What am I gonna do??? I 'm so confused. SLIDE

·
Registered
168 Posts
OIL

I have used the Shell Rotella 15-40 since first oil change. Very smooth shifting. "ROAD BIKE" did an article on oil's several months ago and Rotella was high on the list.
What ever you use keep it clean.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Make ours Mobil One Red cap. I use Rotella in my truck. Mobil One works great & for the little difference in price I will stick with it. It shifts as slick after 4,000 miles as it does the day I put it in. I also like knowing that it is 50 weight when the engine gets hot. Oh, I forgot they fixed that problem. Ha-Ha

·
Registered
190 Posts
My impression was that Honda recomends 10-40 primarily or 20-50 as a second choice.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I used Rotella-T Dyno in the bike till we put the Hack on it then changed to Red-Cap. Now the Rotella-T just goes in the PSD.

Jerry

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have an idea if you changed the oil and filter every 3000 miles, like most of us do, you could run Wildroot Cream Oil or Wesson Oil and
still not have an engine failure. I am still running whatever is on the shelf at Wally World, and nothing has ever failed because of oil yet, except paint won't stick to it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have used the Shell Rotella 15-40 since first oil change. Very smooth shifting. "ROAD BIKE" did an article on oil's several months ago and Rotella was high on the list.
I think the Shell Rotella is 5w-40w. I was told Honda does not recommend 5w-any w at all. I am still undecided.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
elkk said:
I think the Shell Rotella is 5w-40w. I was told Honda does not recommend 5w-any w at all. I am still undecided.
There are two different Shell Rotella oils. One is a 5w-40 Synthetic (it is in a royal blue bottle), and a 15w-40 Conventional oil (it is in a white bottle). And there is only a "w" after the first number.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use Red's old oil. He filters it through some t-shirts, puts it in an old milk carton (I assume he cleans the milk out, but don't know for sure) and sends it out. So far so good, only two engine overhauls in 10,000 miles. WORKS LIKE A CHARM! :D :D :D :D

In reality, I use Shell Rotella 5w-40 Syn.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Would somebody tell me what is wrong with HONDA GN4, 10 W 40 ? Seems to work for me just fine. Wondered if I was missing something.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Yes, you are missing paying more to get the same job done.

Oil is like a woman. Find one you like, and go with it.

What counts is if you're happy. That Wing engine is happy

with about anything you put inside it.

G

·
Rotella

I use Rotella T 15-40 in my power stroke pick up and have used the Syn oil 5-40 Rotella brought out that can be used in place of the T15-40, no problem. Shell recomends the syn 5-40 be used anywhere the T 15-40 is used. My powerstroke takes 14 quarts at regular changes so the syn which runs $ 18 a gallon at Wally W. gets a little expensive at 3k to 5k changes. The T has done well in my Pick up for a hundred K so I use it there but use Syn in the WANG which does very well there with improved shifting over the Honda blend I had in it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
bigc45 said:
Would somebody tell me what is wrong with HONDA GN4, 10 W 40 ? Seems to work for me just fine. Wondered if I was missing something.
You are missing many $$$$$ from your wallet. You could be using another brand oil that performs just as well for about 75% less cost.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Come on, we all know wasabi oil is for squeeky wasabi's.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts