GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the Baker Wings that I added to my GW. The Goldwing's fairing is almost too effective at blocking airflow (great in the winter!) that makes a hot summer day feel even hotter. The Baker Wings allow me to divert airflow onto my body, making good use of the mesh on my summer jacket. But after a year of using the Baker Wings, one of the rounded cap type nuts fell off somewhere. I checked with the Baker Wings people and found that I can order a new nut, but the cost is over $13.00, for a little nut! In the meantime I put a rubber spacer over the exposed bolt to keep the Baker Wing from loosening, and now I think I might just leave it that way permanently. It just bugs me to think of spending $13 for a tiny nut. And the worst part is that from the photos on their website I am not even positive that I would be ordering the right nut from the several available. In truth, when I contacted the website originally I had not looked for "replacement parts" and was sort of hoping that since it was just a nut, they would just mail one to me at no charge. And I don't mind paying for any item that I need, but it rankles me to pay that much for what I am getting. Just my morning rant today.

Reactions: CAWing and Kenichi

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my plan for now. I will try a couple of places later today.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Like "wind" says I'd try a hardware store first.........Plus your not paying shipping costs either..

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Try buying one machine screw for an Agusta 119 helicopter moving map keyboard......$825.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I wonder who talked to you at Baker.
A couple years ago I had one of the mirror wings crack. Have no idea how it happened. Contacted Baker and they sent me a replacement at no charge.
I believe the acorn nuts are SAE and not metric. They should be available almost anywhere fasteners are sold.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Is that from the shop in Fillmore Calif? They just built a new building near me.

Corventure Dave

That is straight from Agusta in NE Philadelphia. Italian helicopters are like Italian motorcycles or cars......fast, sleek, but holy crap are they a PITA to maintain.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wonder who talked to you at Baker.
A couple years ago I had one of the mirror wings crack. Have no idea how it happened. Contacted Baker and they sent me a replacement at no charge.
I believe the acorn nuts are SAE and not metric. They should be available almost anywhere fasteners are sold.

Corventure Dave
Same here. Two weeks ago I needed a couple of the white washers that sandwich the bracket. Baker sent me the ones I needed and a few extra, gratis.

Lee

·
Registered
994 Posts
I really like the Baker Wings that I added to my GW. The Goldwing's fairing is almost too effective at blocking airflow (great in the winter!) that makes a hot summer day feel even hotter. The Baker Wings allow me to divert airflow onto my body, making good use of the mesh on my summer jacket. But after a year of using the Baker Wings, one of the rounded cap type nuts fell off somewhere. I checked with the Baker Wings people and found that I can order a new nut, but the cost is over $13.00, for a little nut! In the meantime I put a rubber spacer over the exposed bolt to keep the Baker Wing from loosening, and now I think I might just leave it that way permanently. It just bugs me to think of spending $13 for a tiny nut. And the worst part is that from the photos on their website I am not even positive that I would be ordering the right nut from the several available. In truth, when I contacted the website originally I had not looked for "replacement parts" and was sort of hoping that since it was just a nut, they would just mail one to me at no charge. And I don't mind paying for any item that I need, but it rankles me to pay that much for what I am getting. Just my morning rant today.
I ordered a package of 4 acorn nuts for $3.99 from BakerBuilt. Shipping was $7.00. It would have cost me more in time and fuel to go to the hardware store so I had no problem paying the $7.00 for the convenience.

After checking their website, the package of 4 is still listed at $3.99.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
WOW ... if it was my problem, and my nut missing, I'd have been elated just to find out that they sell parts, and offer support, for what they manufacture and sell. Many aftermarket companies don't, and their solution is to sell you an entire new set of air-wings.

Although I am not an accessory shop, if people ask me what brand to get, I always recommend the brands that sells parts for what they sell. Actually at Baker Built its even better ... their web page supports what they sell ... a person doesn't even have to call them.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
About what I had to pay for a thumbscrew for my kuryakyn cup holder. I originally went to the hardware store and bought a stainless steel wing nut but didn't like the way it looked, so I eventually broke down and order one, about twenty dollars with shipping. That one got a dab of lock tite.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So let me get this straight. You expected Baker would send someone out to the production floor, get a single nut, package it and send it to you at no charge? And you are whining that instead they would charge you for it. Wow!

And they say millennials expect everything for nothing.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Baker should be ashamed of themselves to charge you ANYTHING for one nut.

Agree. They should just provide one free as a good will gesture; good marketing and PR.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Simple solutions to simple problems

<...>But after a year of using the Baker Wings, one of the rounded cap type nuts fell off somewhere. I checked with the Baker Wings people and found that I can order a new nut, but the cost is over $13.00, for a little nut!
Take the opposite side nut off, go to Ace Hardware & buy TWO.

Put a small dab of thread sealer on both of the new nuts & install per installation instructions.

Why purchase two when you only needed one? :mrgreen:

You can look at that nut in your toolbag - and know where it is for the next time you need to solve this issue.

You're welcome! :thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Baker should be ashamed of themselves to charge you ANYTHING for one nut.
Walking by, I knocked one of my wings with my arm shearing the plastic screws that held the wing to the bracket under the mirror. The kit comes with the two screws, four washers and two new acorn nuts for reattachment. The price to fix my buffoonery was well worth it in my book.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts