GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my bike to the local dealer to have the seals replaced after my return from the Alaska trip in 2007. After 77000 miles I decided to replace the Suspension Fluid, clean and rebuild.

When I went to remove the bottom bolts to allow the forks to drain the allen socket felt sloppy so upon inspection I found that the bolts allen heads were stripped out. I guess they installed them to tight and stripped the heads. No real big problem I will just drill them out and replace, will just be down a couple of days while I wait on new bolts.

Now the rest of the story when I went to remove the right fork cap it would not move. used a impact wrench still no move. use a cheater bar no move. tried heat, tried a old style hammer impact. then I tried the cheater bar again and rounded off the head, The way I finally got it off was take a hacksaw and start cutting 1/2 inch sections off the edge of the cap where it sits on the fork tube, after getting around 1/2 way it finally broke loose with the use of vice grips. It must have been installed super tight at the dealer. Now waiting on parts to reinstall.

Wish I would have changed the seals myself in the first place

·
Vendor
21,413 Posts
I have seen folks cross thread fork caps before. You might want to check the threads on the fork tube for damage.

As for the bottom bolts, Honda puts threadlock agent on them when they install them, and this makes them hard to get out. They probably rounded off the heads while trying to remove them. What they should have done, is replace both bolts since the heads were damaged, but instead elected to just put them back in.

I rounded out one of them myself once trying to get it out. It's not uncommon. I would suggest just ordering new bottom bolts before you take them apart, so you have them on hand if you need them. When I reinstall, I don't put thread lock on them so they won't be such a bear to remove the next time.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fred there is no evidence of any cross threads on either the cap or the fork tube. When you screw the cap back in it goes it really easy and you can turn it all the way down with your hand.

·
Vendor
21,413 Posts
Fred there is no evidence of any cross threads on either the cap or the fork tube. When you screw the cap back in it goes it really easy and you can turn it all the way down with your hand.
Thats good news. Sounds like the threads just got frozen or the cap was tightened down a bit too much.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I recently took in a bike to give it the "once over" @ 25,xxx miles. This bike had always been serviced at the dealer.

No crush washer, wrong oil filter and WAY TOO TIGHT. Stripped bolts, missing bolts. An accessory socket wired directly to the battery and NO FUSE. And the list goes on and on.

Nearly unbelievable.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
When you put the new caps on the fork tubes, it might be a good idea to all a little anti seize to the threads to avoid the problem the next time.

I

·
0 Posts
Hey Snoop:

You need to find another dealer that doesn't hire junk yard mechanics...or just plain morons.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
One would think when most dealers get anywhere from $65.00 to $85.00 an hour they could hire accomplished mechanics... :evil:

cosmic
While the dealer may have a $65-$85 or more labor rate the tech is probably making $10-$12 an hr. and usually a decent tech won't work for those wages. :eek:4:

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Lowell,

Bring it over to me and I'll be glad to do the work for you and all I'll charge you for is lunch at Hooters! ;)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
While the dealer may have a $65-$85 or more labor rate the tech is probably making $10-$12 an hr. and usually a decent tech won't work for those wages. :eek:4:
So very true. Shop rates are at $100 per hour around here and the shop techs get paid $12 per hour.

I once thought I would like to be a bike tech, till I found out what the pay was. So much for that idea.

Kit

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
And that would be why I do all my own work........

Ok, one exception I don't change my own tires but I have a shop I trust do that, and no its not a Honda dealer..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts