GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One Week ago,I was headed to work at 3am. Same route I take every day on my 2006 Gl1800 for the last 5 years. Same excitement I get every time ride. 146 miles a day. 70-75 mph. I never made it to work. A hiway construction vehicle pulled straight accross in front of me 5 seconds before impact.
No reaction. No braking. No swerving. "No Time"....... Impact. Unconsciousness.
Broken leg. Broken hand. Bike demolished. I was thrown over the truck.

Why am I writing this? Because I can !!
The Hiway Patrol Officer said if I hadn't been wearing a helmet and jacket, we wouldn't be having that conversation.

When I ride, I dress for the crash. I wear a full face modular Nolan N-103 helmet, a tight weave textile jacket with armor in the shoulders, arms & elbows and spine. I also wear leather gloves. I always wear these, no matter what. Why ? Because, as they say, "YOU NEVER KNOW !"
Will I ride again ?
You Betcha.
TommyBoy :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sounds like you were prepared and your Guardian Angel was along for the ride.

Glad you made it to ride again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Atgatt

Great that you made it through!! Sounds horrendous. I became ATGATT after a crash last year. I was skeptical that I could really brave the TX heat in full gear but it's definitely become a part of my riding experience now. We're in the hottest part of the year and I'm fine. Incidentally, I think pants with knee pads are part of the requisite gear too. That's a component that a lot of folks in this geographic area overlook (can't resist the comfort of hopping on in denim).

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Great attitude,,,,,

glad things worked out for you because of AGATT.

one question, and this is not doubting your skills, but you said the vehicle pulled out in front of you 5 seconds before impact...any idea why you did not brake?

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
I love a happy Ending, now go buy a few lottery tickets!!

Matt(BCNV) :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Uh Oh.

Glad you survived it all.

Does make us realize we are mortal.

So what color are you going to get next??

Get one with an airbag. Just in case. Hopefully never need it, but just in case.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash. Glad you are okay and you have not been deterred from riding. Send photos of that new goldwing they will be getting you:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
You are an intelligent man. That is why you are alive. I have been through the same thing and also am alive.. because I had the proper equipment. I'm glad you are okay and heal soon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks for sharing and happy to hear that you survived and will be able to ride another day.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. But sad at the same time for your injuries and the damage to your ride. I live in the Houston area and yes the heat is somewhat unbearable. I work in a chemical plant and we wear Nomex coveralls (very thin material). Underneath I wear shorts and a tank top. EVERY day I ride I wear my Tourmaster Air Venture mesh pants, Tourmaster Air Intake mesh jacket, gloves, boots, and a full face Shoei RF1100 helmet. Is it hot? Yes but I bet road rash burns like hell too. I have many friends here at work who have just in the last year bought bikes (brand not important) and only one has a helmet that he SOMETIMES wears. The rest - coveralls tied around their waist, wife beater, bandana - you get the picture. Not exactly ready for the highway 225 experience - which is very heavily traveled by big rigs many of which are in a state of disrepair. I would hate to have any one of them go down as I fear the worst outcome. They all ask me daily if I'm hot in my gear - yes it was 106° on the way in the past couple of days so of course it's a bit warm. But I tell them I'd rather be warm for the 20 minute ride than to live and regret and look at scars for the next 20 years. Glad you lived to tell the story. Best wishes in your recovery.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It's the same old story - Those who have something to protect (family, job, income, brains, legs, ribs, knuckles) wear helmets, boots, jackets, pants and gloves..........those who have nothing to protect ride bare headed, flip flops, shorts and tank top.............very simple, isn't it?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Glad the outcome is not worse. Question is with your 5 seconds, why not brake? Was it in a turn? Maybe less then 5 seconds, but you stated this point.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Glad you are still with us to report this.:bow: (That sucked just reading it)

I know you think it was 5 seconds,but I bet you didn't even have the time to get out a WTF? before the BAM!.

Heal well my friend.:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Glad the outcome is not worse. Question is with your 5 seconds, why not brake? Was it in a turn? Maybe less then 5 seconds, but you stated this point.
Let me tread very carefully, I am glad the rider in this post is alive and well. And like his attitude that he will ride again.

We have all, or most all of us had some kind of accident over the years that is simply unavoidable. Mine was with a deer. There is no deer and then there is a deer, there is simply no time. It happens in the blink of an eye.

So lets say you are running down the road, minding your own business, not suspecting anything, you see the construction vehicles but really do not figure one is going to back out in front of you.

But occasionally one will. If you are going 70 mph all the braking in the world is not going to help you, for one thing there will be no time, it happens instantly. There is not enough distance to avoid, it is what it is.

I suppose the lesson learned is when in the area of construction, to always just slow it down, take it easy in construction areas until clear of them. And the rider who was involved will, he is not stupid, lesson has been learned and added to his survival instincts.

Another thing to really watch is the construction bottle necks, the cars will not read the road, and some are just not at all courteous and yes some do drive ten feet in front of their bumper and come ripping to the bottleneck and slam on the brakes and skid into the other lane. That you have to watch also. I am never relaxed at those situations until I have at least half a dozen cars behind me.

Stuff happens, sometimes, there is nothing you can do , once into it. The lesson is to avoid it before it happens, so around construction areas just slow it down, do not trust. That is the lesson learned.

Respectfully

Kit

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
So glad you survived and had the gear protecting you. Hope you heal real quick. I slowly added more gear over about a three year period until all last year I was ATGATT. I don't consider less, now.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Glad you will recover. Not wearing a padded jacket usually will not cause you your life(though you may be scared and in more pain) but not wearing helmet can cause you your life. Glad you chose to wear one. I know 2 who exercised their choice not to and they are no longer with us

·
Registered
178 Posts
ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time. So glad your injuries are not worse at such a high speed crash. I broke my wrist just falling off my still Wing and have 5 more weeks to think about it. I hope you heal fast and well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts