GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are almost 300 DarkSide riders on this site. Has anyone ever compiled

1) How many total miles have been driven on CT's by this group alone.

2) How many failures have there been (for any reason)

3) How many people out of this group have tried it and then perminently gone back to MC tires.

It has no bearing on my ongoing experiment with CT's. It's just idle curiosity on my part and factual information that might be interesting for all to know. After all, if you are going to "experiment", it's good to know that sort of stuff (It's just the engineer in me - LOL).

·
DSI Keeper
9,170 Posts
I'll take a stab at this...

"There are almost 300 DarkSide riders on this site. Has anyone ever compiled "

Yep, we more than doubled in one year, of riders who admit they have a CT on the back of their steed.

"1) How many total miles have been driven on CT's by this group alone."

That would be hard to guess, but I wouldn't hesitate to say Hundred of thousands.

"2) How many failures have there been (for any reason)"

I have heard of a few riders say they had no problem know when the tire was flat, but at the same time, no problems getting to a safe stop. I believe one rider said his tire broke the tire beads and was not able to ride it. I never heard if it was a run flat or just a regular CT.

"3) How many people out of this group have tried it and then perminently gone back to MC tires."

I know of two riders who said that the CT wasn't for them. If it was for everyone, then I would say it wouldn't be much of a darkside venture.

"It has no bearing on my ongoing experiment with CT's. It's just idle curiosity on my part and factual information that might be interesting for all to know. After all, if you are going to "experiment", it's good to know that sort of stuff "

Your doing what each and everyone of us did. Weighed all the options and made a decision they were comfortable with. Only you can make that decision. Good luck which ever you decide.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a stab at this...

"There are almost 300 DarkSide riders on this site. Has anyone ever compiled "

Yep, we more than doubled in one year, of riders who admit they have a CT on the back of their steed.

"1) How many total miles have been driven on CT's by this group alone."

That would be hard to guess, but I wouldn't hesitate to say Hundred of thousands.

"2) How many failures have there been (for any reason)"

I have heard of a few riders say they had no problem knowing when the tire was flat, but at the same time, no problems getting to a safe stop. I believe one rider said his tire broke the tire beads and was not able to ride it. I never heard if it was a run flat or just a regular CT.

"3) How many people out of this group have tried it and then perminently gone back to MC tires."

I know of two riders who said that the CT wasn't for them. If it was for everyone, then I would say it wouldn't be much of a darkside venture.

"It has no bearing on my ongoing experiment with CT's. It's just idle curiosity on my part and factual information that might be interesting for all to know. After all, if you are going to "experiment", it's good to know that sort of stuff "

Your doing what each and everyone of us did. Weighed all the options and made a decision they were comfortable with. Only you can make that decision. Good luck which ever you decide.

Oh, I am at least going to give it a shot. The rim and tire are on their way now. The way I look at it, unless I give it a fair shot, then I'll never really know the pros and cons of it.

All in all, those are pretty impressive numbers. 2 riders out of 300 who actually went back. I think I've talked to a couple more who switch back and forth between the two depending on what conditions they anticipate riding in, but have no problems with the CT. Of course, you're right, it'll never be for everyone.

But even more that that, no "total" failures of the tire is the most impressive. If this has been a 2 year experiment so far, with 300 riders who run like most Wing riders run, that has to "hundreds of thousands" of miles.

I ordered a run flat, but even if all it will do is let me get to a safe stop without it coming apart or coming off the rim, I'll settle for that.

I'll go take a look at the link that was provided.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I predict.... Darksider number 310 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
803 Posts
It is not just on this site. There are other bikes besides the Goldwing that run them: http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm .
The first I heard about it was from a guy in Texas who ran one on a Valk and went to Alaska on it. That was a few years ago.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I think I've talked to a couple more who switch back and forth between the two depending on what conditions they anticipate riding in, but have no problems with the CT.
I have gone back and forth but I have gone back to the CT. If I want a tire that feels more like an MC then I add a bit of air. At this point the only time that I can think of that I would go back to an MT is if I did a Streetmasters track session. I might if I were in a slow ride competition, but that is not going to happen.

I must admit that I got about 11,000 miles out of on Conti and it is about to the wear bars. Rather than be disappointed I am quite pleased because the riding characteristics of this tire have not changed since mile 0. On an MT the profile changes and so your riding style changes subtly to adjust. That is why you feel like the bike is falling into the turns with new rubber.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Lynn,

I did participate in a Steetmasters Precision cornering class last September, although at the time I had an E-3 on the rear. I have a Pirelli Euforia on now & wouldn't hesitate to use it in the SM class. I've ridden roads that were just as tight & challenging as the Horsethief Mile, & have not found the CT to be a hindrance.

Sleddog

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I have gone back and forth but I have gone back to the CT. If I want a tire that feels more like an MC then I add a bit of air. At this point the only time that I can think of that I would go back to an MT is if I did a Streetmasters track session. I might if I were in a slow ride competition, but that is not going to happen.

I must admit that I got about 11,000 miles out of on Conti and it is about to the wear bars. Rather than be disappointed I am quite pleased because the riding characteristics of this tire have not changed since mile 0. On an MT the profile changes and so your riding style changes subtly to adjust. That is why you feel like the bike is falling into the turns with new rubber.

LD....Since you need another, try the 175-60. As you have probably read, it is pretty close to the feel of a Motto tire. I used to switch back and forth but I have stopped since putting this tire on. Now waiting to see how many miles it gives me.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Lynn,

I did participate in a Steetmasters Precision cornering class last September, although at the time I had an E-3 on the rear. I have a Pirelli Euforia on now & wouldn't hesitate to use it in the SM class. I've ridden roads that were just as tight & challenging as the Horsethief Mile, & have not found the CT to be a hindrance.

Sleddog
As usual, good info in this forum!

I was wondering abuot how well the CT would be received in the track day classes. That is now on my list of to-do's this year.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to switch back and forth but I have stopped since putting this tire on. Now waiting to see how many miles it gives me.
How many miles do you have on it now?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Haven't switched

I put 11,500 miles on a Pirelli Eufori RF and then went to a Conti SSR. I took a MSF ERC course at Wing Ding with the SSR. Worked better than the Dunlop of two years ago. Would someday like to do a Streetmasters and would use the CT for that. I'm waiting to hear what kind of mileage Paul gets from the tire he is using. It sounds excellent.

·
Registered
179 Posts
rear blowout

I was in virginia a few years back out on dismal swamp highway... had an almost new rear m/t blow with my SO on the back. I'll just say we, mostly me, left a lot of skin on the asphalt.

I'm trying to find out if any of the DS group run a 205/65/16 on the rear. :chatter:

Thanks

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
In this very thread towards the top there's a reply by Murgie, who incidently is the keeper of the numbers. At the bottom of his sig is a list of people who are Darksiders. On the bottom of that list is the brands and sizes of tires that people report using. Try that.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
How many miles do you have on it now?

Got 2k miles on it, mostly mountain twisties. I "love" this tire. The benefits of a RF CT with handling very close to a motto tire. Anxiously awaiting to see how many miles I'll get out of the edges. That's where I wear them out first.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I was in virginia a few years back out on dismal swamp highway... had an almost new rear m/t blow with my SO on the back. I'll just say we, mostly me, left a lot of skin on the asphalt.

I'm trying to find out if any of the DS group run a 205/65/16 on the rear. :chatter:

Thanks
That size will fit, but not without fitment problems. The 195-55 has limited fitment problems and is very near the stock tire size. The 175-60 will slip in with no problems, whatsoever, but will increase rpms ever so slightly and create a slightly larger discrepancy in the speedo error.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Thanks

Two things, First, what caused the blow out you had ?? I have had 3 MT blow outs on this bike. Avon, Metz, and a E3. They are load rated at 900 pounds, My bike is a lot heavier than that LOL .. MY CT is load rated at 1980 lbs.

Second, I don't think you will be able to get a 205/65 in the swing arm. I have a 195/65 on my bike and have over 14,000 miles on it and it still will rub the swing arm at times (triple digits and up). I doubt a 205 would even turn if it had lots of air in it !!

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I listen to what everyone says, I learn from it, but I am also pretty mechanical too, and consider some things not worth worry, and other things pushing lady luck.

I think the Kumho 195/55/16 or equal size tire is all one should try to stuff into the wheel well. That one is tight enough, you do want good clearance and a bit of room . If a tire picks up a stone, or some type of something on the road, you want enough clearance for it to make the trip around without tearing up the entire wheel well liner. There is enough flex in the liner of the wheel well that it would take an extreme situation to tear the wheel well or to lock the tire, but that is something you need to think about trying to stuff a large tire into the wheel well.

As for using larger tires simply to correct the speedo error, why do folks even worry about the speedo? No one ever does the speed limit, in town or on the main roads with lots of traffic one just goes with the flow of traffic, and if one is familiar with your bike, its engine sound and you are in tune with the machine, you know exactly how fast you are going no matter what the speedo says. Besides if it is 5 miles off at 70 mph, just go 75. :joke:

I think the Run Flat CT is really a great thing for the 1800, but I would caution about tires a bit too large. Not just for safety, but larger tires have more tail kick, and require a bit more control from the rider. On a long run a large tire can actually cause you to become tired if road conditions are where there are a lot of turns and curves and bad roads. Where as tires the size of the Kumho or equal, have very little of this.

Kit

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have just about 19,000 miles on a 205/55R16 CT and while some of the 205/60's will fit I really don't think you would ever get a 205/65 to work on a Wing. I agree with KA7W that it probably wouldn't turn IF you could even get it installed.

I disagree with Kit where he says. "I think the Kumho 195/55/16 or equal size tire is all one should try to stuff into the wheel well." I liked my 205/55 better than my original 195/55. Yes, it steered more on uneven surfaces than the 195/55 but I soon got used to that. I enjoyed the softer ride due to running less pressure and I liked the increased cornering clearance. I understand his concern about getting something between the wheel and other parts and just because I didn't get a stone caught up inside the wheel well doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I had an oversize front tire on our tike and wore out the front fender from the inside because of sand, rocks and gravel abrading the inside, but that is not something I’m concerned about on the rear.

I'm sure Kit is as happy with his tire as I'm happy with mine, each to his own.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got 2k miles on it, mostly mountain twisties. I "love" this tire. The benefits of a RF CT with handling very close to a motto tire. Anxiously awaiting to see how many miles I'll get out of the edges. That's where I wear them out first.

Well, mine just came in today, so I guess I will get to find out for myself just how long they last :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts