GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ridden on the road the Devils Whip. Today I found it by accident. We went to Mount Mitchell and had left there going down the BRP and turned onto NC80
and didn't know the road except that it was suppose to lead to Marion NC. We found out this was a good road for twisties. We had a great time riding it. I don't have pictures
but their is a guy over there taking photos called blind kenny's. He has online photos just like killboy and the other guy's on deal's gap. If you like the curves you will like this road.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
so its nc 80 devils whip ? tons of good roads out there!! just need to explore :thumbup:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yeah, I found that last year when part of the Blue Ridge was closed. Not very wide and very crooked !!. It makes the Dragon look like a boulevard. I enjoyed it but kinda wished I wasn't pulling the Bunkhouse. :shock:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Have ridden it many times. I even have a picture I bought from blind Kenny. Its amazing the good roads you can find if you just get off the main roads and explore a little! I get on Google Maps when planning a trip and just start zooming in and looking for twisty looking roads and then go ride em!!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes, we found it about 3 years ago as we needed Gas really bad, red light just came on as we were passing the exit.....

The ride down the hill however made the need for gas go away........... which was a good thing because the nearest gas station was quite a distance away! Very fun road, however going back to the BRP, that last switch back can be tricky as well as the road angle at the intersection of the BRP......... about dumped it there with my wife on the back.

There's also another one like that in Asheville NC, I believe they call it the Devils Staircase. It's Rt 151, Pisgah Hwy, right off Rt23 (Parallel's 40). It starts off slow but once you hit the Pisgah National forest the scenery and Road are incredible!!!!

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
An interesting adventure is to try out each of the roads that CROSS the Blue ridge parkway. Generally they are loaded with twists as they travel from the ridge to the valley.

Of course this will make the trip from one end of of the parkway to the other much, much longer.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Of course this will make the trip from one end of of the parkway to the other much, much longer.[/QUOTE]

And this is bad??

Another one that can be fun is Rt 43 north of Roanoke, going down to Buchanan.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Have ridden it quite a few times, even have it on video. If you like the BRP try riding 221, it parallels the Parkway and is 55 miles per hour.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Of course this will make the trip from one end of of the parkway to the other much, much longer.
And this is bad??

Another one that can be fun is Rt 43 north of Roanoke, going down to Buchanan.[/QUOTE]

No, it's better.

·
Registered
479 Posts
We have ridden hwy 80 many times, I thought that it was "Murders Mountain Rd." talk to some of the locals about the legend of Jackie Silvers. He was chopped into pieces by his wife and scattered up what was then a dirt road, and is buried in 2 or 3 graves at the little church on the left going up the mountain. They found pieces of him for days, jokes are made that "Here lies Jackie Silvers, may he rest in pieces" Never knew that it was the devil's whip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts