GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
That ground up salt can and will ruin just about anything. I can't imagine
getting that road salt in the brake assy. That fine salt is like dust and can get everywhere. I had to repair a salt spreader years ago and my gloves were ruined and my hands were like prunes. All wrinkled and shrivled up ?
I wait, I figure I've waited 3 months I can wait til a good rain washes the road.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
No matter how good you wash your bike after rideing it on salt roads, you will NOT get all the salt off it. That dust will get into everything & it only takes a couple days to start seeing stuff getting messed up. I'll wait until we get a good rain to wash the roads off. It is not worth the damage it will cause to ride now. I guess if you were rideing with salt on the road & it started pouring rain you might not have any problems as long as you were willing to ride a long time in the downpour.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I spent BIG $$ on this bike and I force myself to have the patience to wait until most of the snow is melted and we have some good rain to clean off the streets.
I made the mistake on my 1500 one time...............NEVER again, it's not worth it.

I keep telling myself I have patience! :banghead:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Salt???

Well.....I bought the bike to ride and I'm ridin' it. About 7 more months anyway.
Jerry

·
Registered
407 Posts
Damage from the salt is the least of the problems. I ride year round and the salt damage can be minimized by thoroughly washing the bike frequently. I too paid a lot of money for my Wing and I intend to USE IT. However, more serious than the damage the salt can cause is the fact that the salt dust on the road is slippery itself. Traction is reduced considerably if the road is white with salt. Even more important, wear a full face helmet and keep the visor closed. Some salt dust in your eyes will get your full attention at 60 MPH...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have alternate Fridays off. Always a bonus when it lines up with the weather. Got my "chores" done in the am and did about 150 miles in the pm and washed the scooter when I got home. Went to Taylors Falls and on my way home decided to go to Prescott which is as far the opposite way from my house as is Taylors Falls.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Salt damage

Brian_Fenner said:
I spent BIG $$ on this bike and I force myself to have the patience to wait until most of the snow is melted and we have some good rain to clean off the streets.
I made the mistake on my 1500 one time...............NEVER again, it's not worth it.

I keep telling myself I have patience! :banghead:

Hey Brian,

Just out of curiosity, what kind of damage did your 1500 sustain? :(

Greyhound

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
GL1500.........
I rode it to early in the Spring when there was alot of salt dust remaining.........
When I got home I didn't have time to wash it right away until two days later.

A couple of weeks later I was noticing corrosion on all the engine bolts on the the front of the bike, corrosion and pitting on both rims, and later I found several spots of rust on the saddle bag sub-frame.

No matter how well you wash it IMHO you can't get the salt dust out very well.
I understand those that say they bought the bike to ride.........so did I, but I can wait a few weeks longer until things clear off.
I plan on keeping this bike for quite some time and want it to look good for the duration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts