GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a 2014. Just purchased it last week. When I picked it up the weather was bad so I haven't ridden it until today. When I picked it up last week, the dealer gave me a remote and pressed the call button to make sure it was programmed and the horn sounded. Bike has sit until today. Bike has 2 miles on it. I tried the remote today and nothing works. Led lights on remote but no lock, no unlock, no blinker flashes, no horn. How do I program it? Is there a procedure for the 12-14 bikes?

·
Chard Member
12,975 Posts
You might need to cycle the ignition Turn the key on for a few seconds. Turn it off then try the remote.

Usually needs to sit much longer than a week but give it a shot. That's all I got!

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Check the battery on the remote, it may not be make good contact or it's dead, the only thing I can think of since it worked before. :shrug:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the battery in the remote. No help. LED is in remote comes on when you press buttons.

·
Banned
2,608 Posts
Unless your dealer is a long way away, I'd take it to him and have them deal with it. That's one of the privileges of buying new, it's all warrantied.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Yea, let the dealer fool with it if you want the remote. My 2008 I bought new and never tried the remote as I never saw any need for one. If I have a key I can lock/unlock the saddle bags and trunk, and if I am riding I generally have a key, so the remote was really of no use I could figure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First make sure the saddlebags and trunk are fully latched. My remote wont do anything unless they are. Sometimes the saddlebags look latched but aren't completely latched. If that doesn't work, try reprogramming the remote:

1-turn ignition on, press trunk button, turn ignition off
2-turn ignition on, press trunk button, turn ignition off
3-turn ignition on, press trunk button, turn ignition off
4- turn ignition on, press trunk button, press trunk button again(should hear it click), DONE!
Each step must be performed within 1-4 seconds of each other. Too fast or slow and it wont work.

If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yea, let the dealer fool with it if you want the remote. My 2008 I bought new and never tried the remote as I never saw any need for one. If I have a key I can lock/unlock the saddle bags and trunk, and if I am riding I generally have a key, so the remote was really of no use I could figure.

PM sent ie:your remote

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
How about the fact that with one simple click as you walk away from the bike locks everything vs having to go to the back of the bike sticking the key in hole to lock it.

And what about on the way back, approaching the bike one click and you're done.

I have never used the key to lock or unlock my bike, 06 with 65K on it and not one scrach around the trunk lock.

Also, if the bike is running and you want something from the trunk which I didn't unlock before running it, I just click the remote, no need to shut the bike off to use the key to unlock it.

The remote is a great feature to have.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Captain, If the PM was for me, I didn't receive it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
After hitting the wrong button, again, and locking my keys in the trunk, I took the [email protected] remote and threw it under a bus. I never use it and don't want it. When the stupid remote for the car broke, I threw that one under an 18 wheeler. Luddite and Proud!

:crew:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took bike to dealer. Gave tech the remote and told him it wouldn't work. He pressed the call button and another bike on the showroom horn blew. you should have seen the look on their faces.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Took bike to dealer. Gave tech the remote and told him it wouldn't work. He pressed the call button and another bike on the showroom horn blew. you should have seen the look on their faces.
Betcha didn't know they sold you 2 bikes.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Didn't know the bikes in the show room had the batteries in them. :shock:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
You can lock and unlock the trunk with the key? How quaint! That's one feature I have never tried. :lol: 12 years later and I'm still learning about features on this bike.

·
Registered
546 Posts
curious

After hitting the wrong button, again, and locking my keys in the trunk, I took the [email protected] remote and threw it under a bus. I never use it and don't want it. When the stupid remote for the car broke, I threw that one under an 18 wheeler. Luddite and Proud!

:crew:
I'm curious how you managed to lock the keys in the trunk using the remote if the remote was on the same key ring with the remote where it usually is?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I'm curious how you managed to lock the keys in the trunk using the remote if the remote was on the same key ring with the remote where it usually is?
An even more compelling question is, Why would anybody put their keys in the trunk in the first place? Can't blame the remote for that one.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Or...if the remote was in hand and the keys in the trunk, why not just hit the unlock bottom ? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts