GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've had it. I'm not as patient as Lamont with Lowrance. I called Wednesday and got a return authorization for a refund. If I had them replace it, it would have been my fourth unit and in the 9 months I've owned it, it would have spent 3 months at Lowrance. It will hit the mail today and we'll see how long it takes for my check to come.

Here are the problems I had:
1. Screen failed (while on a trip far from home)
2. Unit overheated and turned off (while in a car with outside temp of 75°)
3. Touch screen not responding or making random selections (happened at 65°)

It's a shame and I'm very sad to have to send it back again. This would be the best GPS for the bike, but they are quite low quality. I know many have not had trouble and I wish I was one of them.

For the record, Jon is one of the best vendors I've ever worked with and I would buy from him again any time. If I buy another GPS I will probably go back to the Garmin 276C.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
sheesh and here I am ready to buy one. Oh what a confidence builder :D :D I just want that larger screen so bad. Other than that my SP III still does most of what I want.

·
Vendor
22,512 Posts
The Iway could be a really great unit if they would just fix the problems with it.

The 276/376 are probably the best ones Garmin makes for use on a bike. The new Zumo also looks like it will be a good unit, and supposedly has a sunlight readable screen like the 276/376 with the addition of touch screen capability.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It's a shame it didn't work out for you, Doug... :cry:

If they could just figure out a way to get the QC under control, they could be a real competitor.

I'm glad they're stepping up and giving you your refund. I love the fact that they include this option in their warranty (for all of their units, not just the iWay). I think it goes a long way to show what kind of a company Lowrance is, it's just a shame that their QC forces you to use it.

Good luck w/your next purchase...

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill you're right, I will still follow the iWay posts. Like Fred said, it's a great unit, if it will just work. I will miss the MP3 player for sure.

In the end I just want a GPS that works. I'm a tech geek and just love all the numbers a GPS gives me. Of course I don't need all that, but it's better than being addicted to drugs. :wink:

I have to give Lowrance credit on their service. It may not be the fastest, but they didn't argue with me. They offered me a longer warranty first, but I asked, "What good is a warranty when I'm on the road?" I then asked for a refund, he went away for a minute and cae back with a RA# and an address.

I'll give any company a chance to make it right. I figure three units is enough of a chance. I honestly believe that if Lowrace were to use the tools of Six Sigma and Lean they would be producing a much higher quality unit.

Don't give up Lowrance, you have a great concept and the right attitude toward your customers.

p.s.
Another consideration is shipping. I've spent about $70 just in shipping this thing back and forth. That played into my decision as well.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
You held in there longer than I would. I disagree on your one comment that its a great unit. Any unit that has such a bad record of failure isn't worth my time. Great customer service doesnt make much differance when your on a vacation and having headaches over GPS that continues to fail.

I still have my old Street III and until it fails its good enough. Now that I've said that I suppose it will fail next week. I've drug that thing world wide and never been very kind and it has always worked, a bit slower than Id like but it always works. When mine finally dies I would like to give the Zumo a look see.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Joseph said:
... I disagree on your one comment that its a great unit. Any unit that has such a bad record of failure isn't worth my time...
The fact that so many people have withstood failures on this unit is a testament to the potential of the unit and what it gives you (when it works).

• "The closed mind, if closed long enough, can be opened by nothing short of dynamite. - Gerald White Johnson

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jon,

Fresh milk has lots of potential, till it sours!

Not bashing here. Yeah I have a Garmin 2610m and had it way before the I-Way came out.

I love the I-Way concept, customer service. But the unit is not one that I would want to take to a battlefield, and have my life depend on it.

I can only hope that the 600 will stand the test of time, and become a favorite!

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
WAAS up? Obviously a clear cut case of gigahertz loss. Perhaps you could get the doc to give you some viagtriangulator. At least it's not gps envy. Get the signal? We need to home in on a solution. Your receiver definitely needs more stimulation of the RF Can't we all just put a square mpeg into a round hole? Lastly, let me POInt out there are no left turns. So much for sacred cows.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
David M. said:
WAAS up? Obviously a clear cut case of gigahertz loss. Perhaps you could get the doc to give you some viagtriangulator. At least it's not gps envy. Get the signal? We need to home in on a solution. Your receiver definitely needs more stimulation of the RF Can't we all just put a square mpeg into a round hole? Lastly, let me POInt out there are no left turns. So much for sacred cows.
How are those new meds working for you, David? Funny

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Here's a comparative dimension screen size drawing:

• Garmin 26xx/27xx:[list:ki5zcsvb]Full-screen display area: 1 5/8"x 3 3/8" = 5.5 sq. in
    "Normal" display area w/tabs on-screen: 1 5/8" x 2 5/8" = 4.3 sq. in
    (The data tabs can't be made transparent on the 2720, 2730 or 2820, reducing the usable map area)
Garmin 276/376/378/478c:
  • Full-screen display area: 2 3/8"x 3 1/4" = 7.7 sq. in
    "Normal" display area w/tabs on-screen: 2 3/8" x 2 3/8" = 5.6 sq. in
    (on-screen data tabs can be transparent and typically don't block the map display)
Garmin Zumo 550c:
  • Full-screen display area: 2 1/8"x 2 3/4" = 5.88 sq. in
    Approximate "Normal" display area w/tabs on-screen: 2 1/8" x 2 1/4" = 4.8 sq. in
    (Data tabs don't appear to be removable or customizable and reduce the usable map screen area available [preliminary data only])
iWay 500C:
  • Full-screen display area: 3"x 4 1/8" = 12.4 sq. in
[/list:u:ki5zcsvb]
Jim, if you want BlueTooth on the GPS, the next-largest screen option is the Zumo (by about 1/2" in total area over the 2820)

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Bulldog said:
Jon,

Fresh milk has lots of potential, till it sours!

Not bashing here. Yeah I have a Garmin 2610m and had it way before the I-Way came out.

I love the I-Way concept, customer service. But the unit is not one that I would want to take to a battlefield, and have my life depend on it.

I can only hope that the 600 will stand the test of time, and become a favorite!

Bulldog
Bulldog, Your idea about the fresh vereses sour milk also fits the 1800. I have had my Goldwing in the shop far more times than I have my Iway, but I still ride the Wing :wink: :wink: I am lucky I purchased the extended warranty on my Wing...As far as I am concerned dolllar spent on the Wing verses the dollar spent on the Iway and the Iway comes out on top. At least Lowrance takes care of their problems, that is more than Honda has done on certain issues on the Wing...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts