GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the front brake lever on a DCT ALSO operate the rear brake caliper?

I ask, because of a situation I was in, where I was on a steep hill with mt 2012 and a trailer. I had to stop before the crest. The road was sprinkled with gravel and the pavement was slick.

Needless to say, when I put both feet down for balance, and grabbed the front brake to hold in on the hill, the bike rolled backward with the front wheel locked and unable to hold the weight on the slope.

I haven't found my answer yet, but I HOPE that the front brake also operates the rear brake now. I know it has the momentary hill assist feature, but that will not HOLD the bike from rolling backward for more that a couple of seconds, and I believe it does this by grabbing the front wheel instead of the rear wheel.

Joe

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
When you come to a stop, you turn the wheel to the right, use the rear brake to hold the bike and put down your left foot.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Digger, I have been told in previous thread that the rear brake peddle does operate some front caliper pistons, but the the front does not affect the rear caliper. I have not bled my brakes yet, so I have not researched the manual for the designated bleeder sequence, such would reveal the lever's actions. I would NOT going to turn my handlebars off course in that situation, but I would use the peddle brake.

prs

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The Service manual illustrates what happen when you press the front and rear brakes and all the components that come into play. I just don't have it in front me right now.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I need to get my hands on a service manual for my bike.

I do not like the idea of turning the wheel, because IF the bike rolls backward, and you can slow the movement enough with the front brake, you can basically steer the bike and trailer backward, just like backing into a parking space with a trailer. However a turned front wheel immediately skews the center line geometry of the bike and trailer, and changes the game if you are unable to stop the rearward movement.

I would like to see Honda add a Forward Only Function to the rear wheel hub, or driveshaft or ??? so you could hit a button and basically prevent the rear wheel from rotating backwards under any force. Then, when you find yourself behind some idiot on a hill in San Francisco, it will not be an issue to come to a stop mid-way up the hill. It might be hard on the clutch to get moving again, but you would avoid the uncontrolled rearward rolling of the bike and trailer. An uber low sub-first gear option would also come in quite handy in that situation.

Joe

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Put the bike on the center stand, close the front brakes and see if you can turn the rear wheel.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Pag. 13 of the Manual
Combined ABS
Your motorcycle is equipped with a brake
system that distributes the braking force
between the front and rear brakes.
The distribution of the braking force is
applied to both front and rear brakes when
operating the lever and/or pedal.

Reactions: Pigeon Roost

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Pag. 13 of the Manual
Combined ABS
Your motorcycle is equipped with a brake
system that distributes the braking force
between the front and rear brakes.
The distribution of the braking force is
applied to both front and rear brakes when
operating the lever and/or pedal.
GREAT! That is better than how I thought.

prs

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry, I maybe missing something here but wouldn't activating the Hill Assist be a fix for this situation? You only have to keep tapping the front brake to keep it activated. I have a very steep drive and it's never not held. Sorry if I missed it.

·
Love The DCT
12,005 Posts
Does the front brake lever on a DCT ALSO operate the rear brake caliper?

I ask, because of a situation I was in, where I was on a steep hill with mt 2012 and a trailer. I had to stop before the crest. The road was sprinkled with gravel and the pavement was slick.

Needless to say, when I put both feet down for balance, and grabbed the front brake to hold in on the hill, the bike rolled backward with the front wheel locked and unable to hold the weight on the slope.

I haven't found my answer yet, but I HOPE that the front brake also operates the rear brake now. I know it has the momentary hill assist feature, but that will not HOLD the bike from rolling backward for more that a couple of seconds, and I believe it does this by grabbing the front wheel instead of the rear wheel.

Joe

The hill start assist does not "grab" or apply pressure to the front wheel. When hill start assist is activated, it starts the ABS modulator motor which pressurizes the rear brake.

:doorag:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Put the bike on the center stand, close the front brakes and see if you can turn the rear wheel.
Mine is manual clutch.

Well, I was standing next to my bike when I read this. Bike running, squeezing with all I got and the rear wheel spins by hand just fine. There was no brake being applied to the rear.

Something is not right here, unless it only applies rear if the front is spinning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
According to the Service Manual, Page 3-19, the Combined Brake System inspection states that with application of the rear brake pedal, the front wheel should not turn. However, it does not say that the rear wheel will not turn, with the application of the front brake lever.

In addition, Page 19-5, Hydraulic Brake, shows the fluid draining schematic for the brake lines. The Front Brake (Lever) master cylinder shows fluid lines from the Lever through the ABS Modulator to the Left and Right Front Calipers. However, the Rear Master Cylinder (Pedal) brake shows fluid lines from the Pedal through the ABS Modulator to both the Rear Caliper as well as to both the Left and Right Front Calipers.

As previously mentioned, I confirmed that sitting stationary on the center stand and with the engine running, applying the front brake lever does not stop the rear wheel from turning.

·
Registered
411 Posts
^

Well that is disappointing. The service manual contradicts the owner's manual and the way every other link abs system works on a bike I have seen. An 80 20 split when applying the front is the norm, and does an outstanding job.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
When you come to a stop, you turn the wheel to the right, use the rear brake to hold the bike and put down your left foot.

I do not like the idea of turning the wheel, because IF the bike rolls backward, and you can slow the movement enough with the front brake, you can basically steer the bike and trailer backward, just like backing into a parking space with a trailer. ....
Joe

The purpose of turning right is to guarantee there is a slight lean to the left so only the left foot will be needed to hold the bike up allowing the rear brake to stop you from rolling back. Once you have the bike held by your left leg and the rear brake by the right foot, you can do whatever you need with the handlebars. If you actually need to back down on a gravel uphill slope (trailer or not), I would put it in reverse so I could "walk" it down with both feet. I have had to back down a gravel hill without revers (no trailer) for a long distance years ago. I had to completely stop often so I could very quickly move my left foot as I went until I got to a spot where I could actually turn around keeping the uphill side on the left. Revers would have made it easier, but you still have to use the rear brake to be stopped and allow revers to engage normally.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have the DCT model and when I apply hill assist at a stop light, I never need to reapply it while waiting. The brake stays on until I accelerate, then it releases. Some in this post have said the hill assist feature is a timed feature, but I haven't found this to be true.

·
Registered
612 Posts
HSA page

Here is page 124 section on HSA. Note the 3 second time after releasing front brake handle.

It ain’t like the BMW units. What a shame Honda!

Releasing the HSA GL1800BD/D/DA
To start the motorcycle, release the brake lever and gently open the throttle. (The HSA works about 3 seconds after releasing the brake lever)
GL1800/B
To start the motorcycle, release the brake lever, and then open the throttle grip while releasing the clutch lever. (The HSA works about 3 seconds after releasing the brake lever)

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
HSA is a timed feature after you release the lever. It releases a few seconds later regardless of if any throttle is applied

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have the DCT model and when I apply hill assist at a stop light, I never need to reapply it while waiting. The brake stays on until I accelerate, then it releases. Some in this post have said the hill assist feature is a timed feature, but I haven't found this to be true.
You must have a special model because mine releases 3 seconds after I release the brake, regardless of what you do with the throttle, like the manual says.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think the front and rear are only linked at certain speeds. So if sitting still, I do not think pulling the front brake puts any pressure to the rear nor will applying the rear brake put any pressure to the front. That is how I understand these brakes, just like my 14 HD Ultra Limited linked brakes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts