GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a reference to this route called the Gauntlet on the VTX forum and I tracked down a map for those of you at that curious age. Familiar territory for most of us I am sure. Trialsman has probably wore some of these roads out!! I think the Copperhead Lodge was involved in coining the name for this.
John

http://www.gauntletga.com/downloads/Gauntlet_printable_map.pdf

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I have reason to routinely ride from Travelers Rest, SC to Chattanooga, TN. I abhor riding the slab to get there, especially since this little jewel is directly between them. I don't get on the northern part very often, but a modified version of the southern part is among the best riding I know. This is the route I take through there whenever I can:

US76W to GA17/75S to GA75AW to Richard Russell Parkway N to GA180W to US129S to US19W to GA60N to TN68N to US74W.

Great mix of easy cruising to technical corners to speed sweeps to just great scenery. GA60 is my favorite road of all.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
:agree::agree: But I wish they would repave the section of 60 from the rock pile to Suches. From Suches to Morganton is really nice pavement. Sure do miss TWO and Mimi.
I have reason to routinely ride from Travelers Rest, SC to Chattanooga, TN. I abhor riding the slab to get there, especially since this little jewel is directly between them. I don't get on the northern part very often, but a modified version of the southern part is among the best riding I know. This is the route I take through there whenever I can:

US76W to GA17/75S to GA75AW to Richard Russell Parkway N to GA180W to US129S to US19W to GA60N to TN68N to US74W.

Great mix of easy cruising to technical corners to speed sweeps to just great scenery. GA60 is my favorite road of all.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Yeah, the tar snakes through there can be a pain. The one thing that can make that section bad is if you get behind a cage. It is just not a good place for a car to keep a good pace. I did have a close run-in with a bear a few years ago in that stretch.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Didn't know it had a name but half that ride is my SMRI route this year.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Yep, ridden all of them many times. They do still have some wear left though. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts