GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Good-
I have taken a couple of unofficial Iron Butt rides and decided to do an official one. Asked my oldest son (14 yr old) if he wanted to go, and he said sure. Told him it’s going to be cold and long without a lot of stops. He still wanted to go.
Left out about 5:15 Saturday morning on an iron butt ride. He and I headed south. It was about 45 degrees when we left out. We were heading to Harlingen to see my brother-in-law. It did not get out of the 50’s until about San Antonio. Gerbings are great! Headed south on I-37 to Hwy 281 to the Rio Grande Valley. He had never been in Mexico and wanted to see it. So, we went to Progresso. Didn’t cross the border because we didn’t have the correct forms of ID and didn’t have time. But we did get to the bridge so he could see Mexico and the River.

I have been across there many times before all the new rules came about.
Left there and went to B-I-L house. He had some “supplies” he was giving me for my pistol. (That was the reason for the trip). Afterwards, we followed him to his work for a tour of the facilities. He works for the Border Patrol. It was very interesting, including the holding areas for the illegals. Inside the cells, some of them sat quietly while others were up front, looking like animals at a shelter. You know, at the window, looking sad, as if they were saying “Take me home….”. While there, I met another agent whose father rides a Goldwing, is a member of this board and works with my Father-in-Law. (Small world isn’t it!)
Left there and headed back home. Got here about 1:00 am with a little over 1100 Honda miles with the final temps being in the upper 30’s. All in all, great trip.

The Bad-
On the return trip, about halfway between Corpus Christi and San Antonio on I-37, it was already dark and I ran over a piece of plywood. It sounded rough when I hit it. If anyone knows the area, it’s in the middle of nowhere. I slowed down waiting to see if anything happened to my tires or anything else. All seemed fine. Got north of San Antonio and stopped and looked around and didn’t see anything. Great. About 5 hours after I hit the debris, we were in Italy, about 50 miles from the house. This was at midnight. Got a snack, came out and saw a couple of drops of water under the bike. OOPS. It was a slow leak, I had water with me, the bike was not running hot, so I decided to head to the house. Bike never overheated.

The Ugly-
Went into the garage early this morning, hoping it was maybe just a hose leak and I could fix it and perhaps go on a quick 400 – 450 mile ride and also get the 1500 in 36 hrs.

Well, I found a small piece of wood about the size of a match stick in the coolant tank. Looks like I’m replacing the coolant tank. The silver lining would be, the stick stayed in the tank. If it would have come out, it would probably been a different story.

Now, what did I do with all the receipts?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I wonder if all would have been well if you had a belly pan?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I wonder if all would have been well if you had a belly pan?
I was wondering the same thing as this was why I was told I need one.

Texan Trail, :congrats: on your IB. Bet is was a nice time with you son.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I had mine off a couple months ago and it was all beaten up, one bad ding right where your damage is. My tank is fine! It's good and cheap insurance!

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Oh yeah, my first thought was that he didn't have a belly pan also...sorry for your misfortune...please install a belly pan now, and be sure to use this story of future belly pan threads...thank you for posting! Congrats on the IB ride also!

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1347&str=4

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Both of our GL1800's belly pans are all banged up and dented. I don't even want to think what could have happened if we didn't have them. If you ride in heavy traffic or at dark it is only a matter of time before you run over something with your bike!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Texan Trail

Hate to hear about your coolent tank. Glad every thing ended well. Your road hazard mishap convinced me to order a belly pan for my new wing I bought in Oct. I noticed the coolent tank was mounted low on the bike when first checking the fluid levels. Haven't given it much more tought untill now. Thanks for the heads up with your thread.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got another coolant tank ordered. Couldn't find one available locally. Guess I'll take the next couple of days cleaning on the wing. Bad part about that is it's suppose to be good weather until Friday, the day I'll be able to ride again.:cry::cry:

And my ipod interface came in today from EC!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Riding to the Border

Hey , TT, I met you in Corpus during the Wings on the Lex Rally. We,( wife and a couple of friends) have been across the border 3 times last year. Twice for Bike Rallies and once just as a tourist. We have had a great time ..... the mountain roads are challenging and the scenery is top notch. The gas is cheaper, too.
I have been wanting to do an Iron Butt but haveint gotten everything to fallin to place.
Good luck on the Cooplant tank ..... yes, I have a belly pan.

·
Canuck
2,740 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey , TT, I met you in Corpus during the Wings on the Lex Rally. We,( wife and a couple of friends) have been across the border 3 times last year. Twice for Bike Rallies and once just as a tourist. We have had a great time ..... the mountain roads are challenging and the scenery is top notch. The gas is cheaper, too.
I have been wanting to do an Iron Butt but haveint gotten everything to fallin to place.
Good luck on the Cooplant tank ..... yes, I have a belly pan.
I remember you, Dale. We had a great time back in May. I need some more of those pretzels!!! Maybe sometime this year we can get together and cross the border and you can show us around. :yes1:

·
Registered
466 Posts
http://tinyurl.com/9hjmg5

This is a vented one I'm considering, think that's the one you mean
Nice find. I have the other, unvented one, and will not be installing it. BTW, it's not an easy install.

I found one with vents in the front end that I'm going to install. It gives more air flow and is slightly thicker. I've got one dented oil filter and I'm convinced.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Thanks for the trip report.

Sorry u had the issue with the coolant tank.

Curious as to why u would not want to sue something like JB Weld to repair the leak?

I think I will coat mine with bed liner spray and while wet, use it to glue some sheet aluminum to the underside.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Curious as to why u would not want to sue something like JB Weld to repair the leak?.
I thought about that. By the time I took it off, drained all the coolant, removed the 'protecting' :roll: cover from the bottom of it, and cleaned it all up so whatever I used would stick, for piece of mind I went with a new one. My dealer price matched Hal so I got one.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nice find. I have the other, unvented one, and will not be installing it. BTW, it's not an easy install.

I found one with vents in the front end that I'm going to install. It gives more air flow and is slightly thicker. I've got one dented oil filter and I'm convinced.
Mind if I ask which one? Also..."not an easy install" is a bad thing for me...how about the one you're going to install? What makes it hard? I'm kinda like a klutz so suddenly you've got me nervous!

·
Registered
20,680 Posts
I thought about that. By the time I took it off, drained all the coolant, removed the 'protecting' :roll: cover from the bottom of it, and cleaned it all up so whatever I used would stick, for piece of mind I went with a new one. My dealer price matched Hal so I got one.
lots of dealers are willing to price match internet prices these days, all u have to do is ask

1 - 20 of 25 Posts