GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Orlando Sentinel 8/27

Alexis Cason was on her way to school one morning when she spotted two Oviedo police officers on the side of the road. She flashed her headlights to warn other drivers about the speed trap ahead. Moments later another cop pulled her over and wrote her a ticket, saying she'd just broken the law by flashing her lights. Law...she asked, what law? Cason, 22, challenged the ticket and won. A lawsuite filed this week claims that 2,900 motorists were ticketed - illegally - in Florida for the same thing from 2005 to 2010.

There is no Florida law that prohibits light flashing. There is a class action suite that alleges that cops who write these tickets engage in behaviour that is illegal, wrongful and unconstitutional and they subject motorists to unwarranted seizuers.

Regardless of the above, Seminole County Sheriff's office will keep on writing tickets.....Cops wrongfully misapply a law about add-on emergency lights.

So much for serving and protecting.........and...."no ticket quotas".

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Years ago I got a ticket in Altamonte Springs for the same thing and took it to court and won. Seems like the local LEOs should know there is no law about flashing lights. No different if someone is trying to signal another driver to turn on his lights or dim them when approaching from the opposite lane.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
I notice she is only 22 years old.......And has a brain.....

I guess those brain dead old goats in Florida just quietly pay up when
issued a ticket.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Years ago I got a ticket in Altamonte Springs for the same thing and took it to court and won. Seems like the local LEOs should know there is no law about flashing lights. No different if someone is trying to signal another driver to turn on his lights or dim them when approaching from the opposite lane.
I am sure the LEOs know,They count on the public not to know the laws...

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
I disagree with your assessment. Here is what I found out about flashing of ones lights in Florida-

FLORIDA state statute indicates that "flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway".[23] This has been used as a basis for issuing a moving violation with a $90 fine to drivers who flash their headlights to warn oncoming drivers of speed traps; some police and at least one journalist believes that the law applied to those who manually flash their high beams

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's good to see somebody challenge something the police illegally did & win!

Kinda makes that old song "I fought the law, and the law won" sound like very old news!

Good news indeed: Go Alexis Cason!!! :agree:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Who 'makes up' all of these statutes? Don't the people have a say in what is legal and what is not legal?

Joe T.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Makes me think of a bumper sticker that was popular with... some folks, back in the late '60s:

"Don't like cops? Next time you need help, call a hippie."

http://democraticbelarus.eu/node/10927

"Support Your Local Police" ~ The John Birch Society

·
Registered
316 Posts
warning speeders defeat the purpose......this world is really sick, really sick.

Promoting illegal action and working against your LEO is so popular.....yup, no wonder the chaos on our road ............ why it is so hard to follow rules and regulation these day ?

Do we need more education or program for the roads users ? I dont think so , IMHO we need more cop , bigger fine and consequences.

Too many peoples are dying on our road every year due to the negligence of others....

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I don't warn anybody. Can't read the sign, or don't think the speed limit should apply to you? Take your ticket.

And I've never written any kind of "flashing light" ticket......I HAVE written em for faulty equipment tho. Apparently there's something wrong with a set of headlights that won't stay on, correct? Get the problem fixed, and come to the PD within 14 days with properly functioning lights and the ticket will be dismissed.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I disagree with your assessment. Here is what I found out about flashing of ones lights in Florida-

FLORIDA state statute indicates that "flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway".[23] This has been used as a basis for issuing a moving violation with a $90 fine to drivers who flash their headlights to warn oncoming drivers of speed traps; some police and at least one journalist believes that the law applied to those who manually flash their high beams
It is not my assesment. It is the court's decision that there is no Florida law that prohibits light flashing. LEO are simply twisting a a law that was desinged to prohibit drivers from adding after market emergency lights to their vehicles. The statu has nothing to do with a driver using his headlights to warn about police activity.

The new lawsuit claims that cops who write those tickets, knowing the law does not identify this as a violation, engage in behaviour that is illegal, wrongful, unconstitutional and they subject morotrists to unwarranted seizuers, they also commit racketeering, ongoing enterprise of theft, misuse of office and extortion.

And...of course the issue of free speech may be raised. Bottom line - this will greatly interfere with filling of the ticket quota which apperantly does exist.

Lastly, ask yourself....if the purpose of enforcement is to promote and enhance safety would hiding in the bushes work any better than being in the open totaly visible? One of the most effective deterent I have seen is a strategically parked police car with a dummy behind the wheel.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quota

Whether there are quota's or not is beside the point. What we need are more cops writing more tickets because it seems that more and more drivers think they don't have to obey traffic laws.
I don't attempt to warn anyone about cops. If you can't obey the law, you deserve a ticket.

·
Registered
251 Posts
good news

Go figure,you can run 20 mph over the speed limit here and they don't even look at you....No seatbelt NO problem,turn signals who needs em.....road rage ,everyday occurence...Green lite -go,red lite -go faster,Flash your headlites and we'll haul your A$$ in bud!!!!!We mean business here in FloriDAH.........

·
Registered
239 Posts
Whats the ultimate goal? The cops say they write tickets to slow down speeders. By flashing my lights, I can achieve the same thing with out the LEO getting out of the car.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
A ticket should have the ordinance number written on it somewhere. Pretty simple to look up the statute and see if matches the allegation.

As far as what the police think, it really doesn't matter. They are part of the executive branch of government, not legislative. In other words their job is to "execute" the law. They don't get to make it up, or judge it. Laws (ordinances) are written by your representatives. Talk to them about it.

I was once sued by a by a moron for misfeasance in office for not arresting the local tax assessor when he demanded it. (Seems he thought individual income tax was unconstitutional). It actually went to Federal Court where it was dismissed as a frivolous lawsuit.

I wouldn't feel good about flashing lights to warn of radar until the validity of the ordinance is tested on appeal. (If in fact, the lower court didn't merely dismiss a case or two for expediency).

In the mean time, good luck intimidating all those dirty cops out there. We sure need someone to protect us from them. :roll:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Sid, you beat me to it. Yes, each UTT(Uniform Traffic Ticket) has to state the violated traffic code number and state the offense(such as speeding, following to close, disregarding a stop sign), at least in Indiana!
Not bashing the OP but, would like to see the code that was on this ticket that was tossed out:?:
As far as quotas go, in my 25+years as a LEO, I was never given any qoutas. I could write as many tickets as I wanted to:joke:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I rarely flash my high beams for speed traps but I do flash them to slow down traffic when there is a problem in their lane of traffic and they need to slow down.

Wrecks, slow traffic, road debris all count as reasons to slow you down.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
warning speeders defeat the purpose......this world is really sick, really sick.

Promoting illegal action and working against your LEO is so popular.....yup, no wonder the chaos on our road ............ why it is so hard to follow rules and regulation these day ?

Do we need more education or program for the roads users ? I dont think so , IMHO we need more cop , bigger fine and consequences.

Too many peoples are dying on our road every year due to the negligence of others....
Your "logic" fails any reasonable test. According to you, it is good if police are out of sight and wait for a violation to occur instead of being in plain sight and thus preventing many more from potentialy violating an ordinance.

So lets hide the "No Parking" signs (or write them in Vietnamese).....that will allow cops to write more tickets. Maybe even hide traffic lights so they can write up red light runners (which by the way could be cut down by lengthening the yellow and synchronizing lights....but nnnnnnnnnnnnnno...that does not produce revenue).

Do you want police to wait in the dark while someone is beaten to death so they can arrest him for that crime, or...should there be police presence to PREVENT crimes and violations from occuring.

No doubt, yours would be the first option..........no wonder why this country is going down the tubes.

And..........there is more to this story - http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/...llegal-tickets

·
Registered
316 Posts
Your "logic" fails any reasonable test. According to you, it is good if police are out of sight and wait for a violation to occur instead of being in plain sight and thus preventing many more from potentialy violating an ordinance.

So lets hide the "No Parking" signs (or write them in Vietnamese).....that will allow cops to write more tickets. Maybe even hide traffic lights so they can write up red light runners (which by the way could be cut down by lengthening the yellow and synchronizing lights....but nnnnnnnnnnnnnno...that does not produce revenue).

Do you want police to wait in the dark while someone is beaten to death so they can arrest him for that crime, or...should there be police presence to PREVENT crimes and violations from occuring.

No doubt, yours would be the first option..........no wonder why this country is going down the tubes.

And..........there is more to this story - http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/...llegal-tickets

1 - 20 of 29 Posts