GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Great Oil Debate ( revisited again ) :eek:4:

Now I do not want to poke a stick at old wounds or for that fact a hornets bee’s nest, but I just have to ask this question. So here goes…

I have been 10W40 Amsoil in my 2010 GL1800, and NO this is not anything to do with Amsoil or any other brand, just stated it so you have a better picture of what I am asking. As I said I have been using 10W40 since it was new, which is now 4 months that I have had it and now have 18,900 Km’s on it. Gee can you tell that I ride just a little…

I have used the 10W40 and all was fine, but with the weather being what it is…BOODY HOT…! Temps are in the low to mid 30’s here…about 95F for those of you down south. So on my last oil change I went to Amsoil 20W50 in place of the normal 10W40 that I have been using since day one. I am finding the engine run smoother and is more quite then ever before, and the shifting…wow…what can I say other then GREAT…!

Now the question is, how many of you use or have used 20W50 in the GL1800’s and how did you like it, what area are you from and what sort of temps do you have and so on. I would just like to get some input on the number of you out there that have or are using 20W50 over that of 10W40.

Lloyd

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Well....my application is a little different. I used 10W-40 in the Wing and 20W-50 in my S&S V-Twin. Sold the V-Twin and had some oil left, so started using 2 quarts of each. Really couldn't tell any difference in the Phoenix 115 degree heat. Will continue to use the 50/50 mix until the 20W50 is gone even though I'm now in a cooler climate and then go back to straight 10W40.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
bike always shifts smoother after an oil change.

If it meets the specs in the manual, it is just fine.....

remember: the more you pay for oil, the better it runs, and keep telling yourself that......

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
remember: the more you pay for oil, the better it runs, and keep telling yourself that......
And remember another quote while we are at it..." you get what you pay for" Cheap price means cheap oil. Funny how many of you will spend hundreds and even thousands on some little nick-nack that does nothing but look good, and then you become a cheap skate where it really counts!

I will never understand that thinking as long as I live....but oh well its your bike, not mine. Thank god for that...!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Interesting question. Let's throw another wrench in the mix. Because the Wing is water cooled, does the engine / transmission operating temp change much in hotter weather? And does the viscosity make much difference if the cooling system is working properly?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I've used 15/50 Mobil 1 syn for the last 80k with not problems, even in the cooler months.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
My 01-05 owners manual says use 10W-40, 20W-40, or 20W-50 in temperatures from 30C (85F) to over 40C (100F). I don't see a problem. And, mine always shifts better after an oil change. I use 10W-40 year-round here in So. Cal.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting question. Let's throw another wrench in the mix. Because the Wing is water cooled, does the engine / transmission operating temp change much in hotter weather? And does the viscosity make much difference if the cooling system is working properly?
I would say it does have a effect and not all that small...! Just because the gauge on these bikes are crude and really do not show the full story of whats going on.

Look at it this way, in this weather my cooling fan is almost always coming on in stop and go riding in the city. In cooler weather the same riding does not do it, or not as much. The engine temp might not go up all that much, but when its high enough to have the fan kicking on, I would say....ya its running hotter then normal.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 01-05 owners manual says use 10W-40, 20W-40, or 20W-50 in temperatures from 30C (85F) to over 40C (100F). I don't see a problem. And, mine always shifts better after an oil change. I use 10W-40 year-round here in So. Cal.
This is what mine says...

Attachments

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
For me it is 10-40 Any Brand of Motorcycle Specific Synthetic Oil

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Not to be a smart ass but why would you use anything but Amsoil 10w30,I just returned from a trip out west and had 8500+ miles on the oil and it still shifts like Day 1 and didn't use a drop,my bike is a 2010 like yours and it calls for 10w30.

Now I do not want to poke a stick at old wounds or for that fact a hornets bee’s nest, but I just have to ask this question. So here goes…

I have been 10W40 Amsoil in my 2010 GL1800, and NO this is not anything to do with Amsoil or any other brand, just stated it so you have a better picture of what I am asking. As I said I have been using 10W40 since it was new, which is now 4 months that I have had it and now have 18,900 Km’s on it. Gee can you tell that I ride just a little…

I have used the 10W40 and all was fine, but with the weather being what it is…BOODY HOT…! Temps are in the low to mid 30’s here…about 95F for those of you down south. So on my last oil change I went to Amsoil 20W50 in place of the normal 10W40 that I have been using since day one. I am finding the engine run smoother and is more quite then ever before, and the shifting…wow…what can I say other then GREAT…!

Now the question is, how many of you use or have used 20W50 in the GL1800’s and how did you like it, what area are you from and what sort of temps do you have and so on. I would just like to get some input on the number of you out there that have or are using 20W50 over that of 10W40.

Lloyd
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have used the 20-50 amsoil in my last 5 bikes, klr, 1200 gs, concours, dl650, and now in my 03 wing, temps 40s to low 70s, but usually below 70 deg. all the bikes have shifted well and none have consumed oil between changes. i am a believer in synthetic oils, and wouldn't hesitate to use another brand, mobil 1 etc. if the amsoil was not available.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Once the engine is up to operating temperature, and as long as the cooling system is working properly, no, there shouldn't be much difference. Don't forget, in cooler weather, the thermostat controls the flow of coolant to keep the engine at optimum temperature. In hot weather, we riders may feel more heat coming from the radiators, but the engine temp should remain fairly constant.

BUT ... Startup is a whole 'nother question. UNTIL the engine (and the oil therein) is up to operating temperature, thicker isn't necessarily better.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
And remember another quote while we are at it..." you get what you pay for" Cheap price means cheap oil. Funny how many of you will spend hundreds and even thousands on some little nick-nack that does nothing but look good, and then you become a cheap skate where it really counts!

I will never understand that thinking as long as I live....but oh well its your bike, not mine. Thank god for that...!
Thank you! :thumbup:

No Farkles! LOL :lol:

I've used 15/50 Mobil 1 syn for the last 80k with not problems, even in the cooler months.
:agree:

Excellent oil.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
The manual shows the 10w-30 bar ending abruptly at about 85-90F. And the -40's, -50's extending past 100F. Doesn't mean your engine will grenade if you use 10w-30 in hot weather.

Not to be a smart ass but why would you use anything but Amsoil 10w30,I just returned from a trip out west and had 8500+ miles on the oil and it still shifts like Day 1 and didn't use a drop,my bike is a 2010 like yours and it calls for 10w30.

Lloyd
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Not to put down Amzoil, but the one time I used the 10-40, my engine went through about a quart in 4000 miles.:wrong:
I switched oil brands and it hasn't done it since then.

I like the Mobil 1 4t 10w-40 for winter and Yamaha 15w-50 for summer.

later..Randy

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The 2010 owners manual shows 10w30/10/40 from -10 to 115 degrees,I think there referring to dino oil,20w50 is not on the chart.I have rode in 100+ weather and nothing blew up;)

The manual shows the 10w-30 bar ending abruptly at about 85-90F. And the -40's, -50's extending past 100F. Doesn't mean your engine will grenade if you use 10w-30 in hot weather.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
The 2010 owners manual shows 10w30/10/40 from -10 to 115 degrees,I think there referring to dino oil,20w50 is not on the chart.I have rode in 100+ weather and nothing blew up;)
[/QUOTE]

This chart is for 2001-05 wings.I don't know why it couldn't be used for current mocels, I doubt if the engine's internals have changed.

later..Randy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts