GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever actually had to remove their gun from its holster for protection? I don't mean to shoot cans along side of the road. I am referring to private citizens who carry on their bike. Not LEO.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Once in Germany I removed a .45 from the holster and pointed it between the eyes of a terrorist and dared him to move any way but backwards. I really wanted to shoot him because he had a nice set of binoculars and I could have gotten away with it very easy. Terrorism wasn't fashionable then and I let him live.

But to answer your question: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me. 8)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have many times

·
Administrator
3,571 Posts
Only once for actually removing from holster and willing to shoot, and it was not on my bike. However, the fact that my wife was armed and obviously very willing to use her gun saved her from being raped or killed.

About 10 years ago she was having to work a night shift, alone, at a convenience store. She rarely worked nights, but on those few occasions she always wore a 3" barreled Charter Arms .44 Special under her smock. About 2:00 AM a man appeared walking while she was sweeping the sidewalk at the store entrance. He was about 25 feet away when he stopped and unbuttoned his pants, and exposed himself. He said "Look what I got for you, mama!"

My wife was prepared. As he'd neared, she had positioned herself so that the large trash container was between them, and she reached into her smock and came out with the Bulldog. As she had been trained she used a 2-handed Weaver stance and leveled the .44 at the potential rapist, snarling "Look what I got for you, *******!"

Last seen, the guy had lost that lovin' feeling and was doing about 40 mph on foot. My wife no longer works anywhere, but we do believe that she would have been raped or killed if she had not been armed. She now has her own carry gun, and the Bulldog is retired with honors.

Glockjock

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I have had to cut the cheese in self defense in crowded store aisles but never have produced a gun for defense. Just lucky I guess.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Has anybody ever actually had to remove their gun from its holster for protection?
never, but i'm ready.

because of the laws and advice from friends and lawyers, i'm trained to never whip out the gun unless it's time to shoot. if someone's looking down the barrel of my gun, it's likely the last thing they'll see.

that was back in the early days of chl. iirc, some state laws have changed such that brandishing is allowed, but i've never been in a situation like that. and that's part of being a responsible carrier - do everything you're able to not put yourself in situations where killing another person is the absolute last option. you may be found not guilty criminally, but civilly you'll probably pay the scumbag's family a bunch of dough.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
not on a bike.

About 25 yrs ago I got out of my 69 Camaro , then I pointed my Dan Wesson 357 with 8 inch barrel at a fellow through his truck's passenger window.

I told him he had better turn left and stop F-ing with me & my wife. He turned left & drove off

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
As the old saying goes....better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it!

You can make your own assumption. I stand by the 5th!

Ride safe

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
First of all, I'd like to say I carry a weapon for defense, nothing to do with me riding the Wing or driving my car. I mainly carry on trips for the protection of myself and wife in and about our motel. I don't have a gun to act tough, no one ever sees it or knows I have it. I would NEVER draw it unless someone was about to harm me or my wife. Can't imagine using it on the Wing, would rather have both hands on the handlebars and try to escape. I have drawn it and made ready on three ocassions. Twice when someone was trying to get into our room, they didn't get past other locks I had. ( Lucky for them ). Once we were parked in my car, at a lovers lane type spot ( blush ) when two guys came up to my window and wanted to " party ". One time I was driving a back country road and encountered two scared schoolkids that had just gotten off the schoolbus and were walking the rest of the distance home when a rabid fox jumped in front of them and was growling and yipping. ( I only assume it was rabid, a normal fox wouldn't do that ). The children froze from fright as the fox was a few feet from them. I positioned myself so the bullet would go through the fox and hit the dirt behind us. One shot from my 2" 38 spl and the fox was no longer a threat. Game warden buried the fox in lime.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So far I have just pulled it on dogs chasing my bike.
Most of the time I just goose the bike, but sometimes.
It is a 9mm with snake shot, just a training tacktic.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Back in 1980 my wife and I were on vacation out in a NW state and I can't remember might have been WY or MT I took a rest area exit on the interstate. It was a weird exit that took you off the interstate quite a long ways. After coming to a stop it was apparent it was not finished and no bathroom was yet built However because it was so remote and with a lot of weeds and cover and no one else around my wife dismounted the GL1100 and walked out into the field. I stayed with the bike and out of no where two men appeared. One of them approched me and one of them headed for my wife. My GL1100 had a Vetter fairing with a soft covering pocket in which I kept a small 5 shoot 38. As this all started to un-fold I displayed the 38 and pointed it with intent to kill at the gentleman approching me. He told his buddy who was very near my wife at that point of the gun in my hand and things came under control quickly thank god. I believe to this day without the pistol my wife would have been raped and then both of us killed !

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
About 14 years ago my first wife and I were vacationing in Tennessee..
we stopped at a RV park to spend the night... during the night I heard noise near our camp site... 2 fellows thought they needed my gasoline
in my truck more than I did...they had a 5 gallon can and a siphon hose in my tank... but my 9MM Browning and I convinced both them it was not a good idea... last I saw of them .. they jumped a fence and was heading into the woods at a pretty brisk pace..

cosmic

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I have had to pull my weapon twice and actually got yelled at by the cops for NOT shooting ( the cops are friends of mine and it was more of a lecture ) during a felony.

I don't care to repeat ( or write ) what happened AGAIN.

Suffice to say, Once my Glock saved my butt, the other time was a judgment call and I was basically an armed witness. The important thing to remember is, that both times I made the right call and I'm alive and well, thank you very much.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
No I haven't used mine, but on Oct. 29th I would have used it when a cager tried to force me off the road several times. I sped up to get away from him and realized that was the wrong thing to do(100 mph car,motorcycle chase wasn't a good idea) I slowed down and he got in front of me,slammed on his brakes,and skidded sideways in front of me. I was luckily at an exit and cut across 2 lanes narrowly making the exit. Pulled my bike off to the side and called 911.
I was lucky, but I have no doubt I would have shot him while he was assaulting me with his car. I did get his plate # and a description of the guy and gave that to the police.
What is odd though, is that UHP didn't have a record of the 911 call?
I did pull up my cell phone records and it was on there as a 2 minute call.

The case is with the prosecuting DA deciding what charges he will file with the court.

I am trying to get him to file "assault with a deadly weapon",an automobile, but I haven't heard from him in a couple of days.

later..Randy

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Glockjock said:
Only once for actually removing from holster and willing to shoot, and it was not on my bike. However, the fact that my wife was armed and obviously very willing to use her gun saved her from being raped or killed.

About 10 years ago she was having to work a night shift, alone, at a convenience store. She rarely worked nights, but on those few occasions she always wore a 3" barreled Charter Arms .44 Special under her smock. About 2:00 AM a man appeared walking while she was sweeping the sidewalk at the store entrance. He was about 25 feet away when he stopped and unbuttoned his pants, and exposed himself. He said "Look what I got for you, mama!"

My wife was prepared. As he'd neared, she had positioned herself so that the large trash container was between them, and she reached into her smock and came out with the Bulldog. As she had been trained she used a 2-handed Weaver stance and leveled the .44 at the potential rapist, snarling "Look what I got for you, *******!"

Last seen, the guy had lost that lovin' feeling and was doing about 40 mph on foot. My wife no longer works anywhere, but we do believe that she would have been raped or killed if she had not been armed. She now has her own carry gun, and the Bulldog is retired with honors.

Glockjock
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Twice. Once in my truck with some drunk A$$ who started to honk and play road rage with me as he passed with his high beams on and I flashed him my high beams on and off. He pulled a U-turn and proceeded to park his car on my back bumper for a good 2 miles. I had made a 911 call and was told that , there were no units in the area. The dispatcher told me to stop and pull over, and let him pass. I told her if I did that, it would be over for him. I then proceeded to the nearest lighted service station, pulled over in front of the main door. He stepped out of his rig yelling screaming etc. I lowered my window just enough for him to hear and see my 9mm aimed at his gut. Needless to say someone called 911 and 7 cops appeared. He was arrested for DUI and threats. He was charged with the DUI.

Second coming down I-5 on cycle with some yahoo on my rear again. This went on for many miles. I switched lanes went fast and slow. After 20 minutes I let my coffee cup about half full fly. It took a couple turns and hit his bumper and coffee went every where. I did exit at the next rest stop with him hot on my tail. I had the gun in my pocket and watched him come over yelling screaming etc. I told him in my right hand pocket is a 380 with the safety off and if he did not leave now It would appear. He was gone without me saying anything twice. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
732 Posts
PoleCat wrote:
I have had to cut the cheese in self defense in crowded store aisles but never have produced a gun for defense. Just lucky I guess.
ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :clap2:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yes, three times.

First was in 1977 in Fayetteville NC. I was coming out of a late night (11 PM) department store and was walking to my customized van where on the drivers side which was obscured from the store, were 4 men sitting in an idling Buick Electra. As I approached to open my van door I was on my guard. One of the men asked me for the time, I said it was 11 P.M. as I was unlocking my door with my back to them. Then he asked for my wallet and stated not to try anything, that he had a shot gun pointed at me.

I stated I didn't want any trouble and that I had forgot my wallet in my van and I'll get it for him. I pulled out my .44 magnum revolver from under my seat, turned around and squatted to a near sitting position pointing my side arm with my finger just about pulling the trigger. All I heard were screams, curses, screeching tires and saw the Buick fish tail out of the parking lot burning rubber.

I was so pi$$ed, how dare they try to mug me and got in my van and gave chase up to 100 mph which was the fastest my van could do and they continued to put distance between us, no LEO's when I needed one.

Second time was 1994 in Bear Mountain NY. While riding on a motorcycle. I stopped and prevented two Co-eds from being gang raped by five "inner city youths" with my .380 cal in a deserted tourist parking area.

Third time was in June 1999 in NJ, I was leaving my boat in our marina to go home for the night along with my wife. Next to the marina was a pavilion that was rented out that day for a Rap Concert. As the concert was letting out about 20 inner city youths thought it would be cool to climb over the marina fence and break into the boats. My wife and I ran back into our boat (Motor Yacht) and retrieved my pump shot gun and had my wife call 9-11 on our cell.

The park police department was less than 500 yards away yet the desk SGT said they couldn't send anyone down for at least 30 minutes since they were all tied up. I got on the phone and told the desk SGT I was armed and I was going to defend mine and my neighbors property along with the marina's property. The SGT stated, "I wouldn't do that if I was you". I told him, I ain't you and hung up.

I got another boat neighbor to join me armed with his flare gun. Some of the boat owners locked themselves up in their boats screaming for help. We caught ten youths on the boats as they started to run, fall, and nearly drown trying to get away from us. We got on the other side of the fence and I had all ten of these idiots face down on the ground.

My wife decided to call our home town police department (good relations with them) which was about two miles away, they arrived in a few minutes with five cars which seemed like hours since some of these "youths" weren't strangers to the penal system and were trying to provoke me, thinking I was a LEO. Racking my shot gun once put a stop to any further upheavals.

Long story made short, all youths were arrested, charged and some released to their parent.

Being that this was in NJ, I caught some flak for having a firearm in the park and marina, from the park police chief, however public local support both from LEO's and civilians and the threat of media attention got the park police chief to back down. I was thanked numerous times by boat owners bearing all sorts of gifts.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts