GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles has everyone been going on there Iridium BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs
I know it's been asked before, but I was just wondering what the latest reports

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Mileage is all over the place for any type of spark plug.
Here is some latest reading that may or may not help.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I have no idea how many miles anyone is getting on plugs, let alone everyone.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had 100k on stock plugs. Totaled a 2001 with 46K with stockers and currently 35k on my stockers. I keep RPMs below 3000K, doing 68 and I get 45 mpg. I don't need Iridium Plugs. I do pull the plugs and clean them after 40K using a sparkplug sand blaster using my air compressor.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reason I was asking I got 32,000 on my Iridium plugs and runs and starts so good I feel like I want to leave them in

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I generally don’t think about mine until at least 100,000 but last time I decided to check them at a little over 68,000. They were clean, smooth and in spec but since I had them out, I changed them. I know a guy that rode 200+ miles per day 5,6,7 days a week so had no time for maintenance except when he had a problem. He had something over 200,000 on his when changed and said that he saw no change in performance.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Spark plugs?
Am I supposed to check them?
Bike is running smooth with no problem so, why do I need to check them?
If it ain't broke, no need to fix it, right?
I know plugs are there, don't know what brand or how long it's been there.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
I change mine out (before) every riding season.... BUT after reading the mileage everybody is getting (maybe I'll try to skip a season)......I did say maybe (BUT) it's an old habit of mine to replace everything that I can change, before riding in April...

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I just have to ask why why would this be a facebook question
Besides I thought that was a place just for women
Naww, mostly guys on the Wing pages.
But, almost every maintainence question posted there starting with "what is (everybody) using/getting" with (insert item here) could be answered by checking the owners manual maintainence schedule.
Ask 50 people at random and probably get dozens of different answers so you end up choosing one that fits your previous inclination. Sort of like oil change intervals (not to mention oil brand/type) inquiries. "Everybody" has their preference, however logical. Or not.

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
114 Posts
It's a worthy question to ask, but rather than getting "anecdotal" feedback from 10 to 20 GL riders, pull out your own plugs and have a look.

I changed mine at 16K miles-ish because I had engine problems that was to be covered by warranty IF I followed all the scheduled maintenance. I think they looked fine but since it SOOO easy and cheap to change them I'll stick with following the schedule.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Iridium is a hard metal. In spark plugs, wear is almost negligible even at 100,000 miles. What usually fails is the resistor in the plug burns out or the insulator may crack and the plug leaks voltage. Also, one of the major concerns of leaving a plug in a cylinder head for 100,000 miles is the plug seizing to the aluminum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts